The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden being traded was the best thing for Canucks

grandmaster

Really?

In the 1995-96 Linden had 33 goals, 47 assists and 80 points, the most he has ever collected in all three statistical categories. On February 27, 1996, he played in his 437th consecutive game, breaking the team record previously held by Don Lever.

The following year he only played 49 games but averaged nearly a ppg with 40...that was the year before Messier arrived. So hardly pathetic.

Maybe it was all part of Messier's plan to rebuild our franchise. Who else would've thought about signing a contract that would pay more based on the financial value of the team in the future? Messier plays the villain to move out Linden for assets that were highly beneficial to the team.

Nah...Messier is just scum.

i cant believe what i am reading... first off trading linden was a terrible move ... we couldve traded 3 or 4 different guys insted but messier and keenan were running the show and wanted linden gone , i guess everyone forgot the the bottom of the basement years wich seen gm place empty for games and we were 1 year away from losing a hockey team in vancouver all together but i guess most of you are too young to remember that. we couldve traded bure at the time seeing is how he never really like in vancouver anyways over a guy that bleeds for the city and could gotten alot more on top of bertuzzi mcabe and been and even better team alot sooner. i guess if we trade ballard for player Y and then trade player Y for player X and trade player X for a guy that turns out to be a top goal scorer that means the grabner for ballard trade was a success remember real teams base success on championships so the vancouver canucks have had 0 success in the NHL NONE the franchise is success full as in they make a boat load of money by jamming the arena full every night with over priced tickets and beer and they make millions every year but they dont give you a trophy for that or throw a parade .

What I never understood, was how Mark Messier became a nuck after Linden was gone. Watching the 94 series again, you think he would have remained hated enough to stay away from Van.

Messier... Keenan.

Glad those days are gone.

spew

i cant believe what i am reading... first off trading linden was a terrible move ... we couldve traded 3 or 4 different guys insted but messier and keenan were running the show and wanted linden gone , i guess everyone forgot the the bottom of the basement years wich seen gm place empty for games and we were 1 year away from losing a hockey team in vancouver all together but i guess most of you are too young to remember that. we couldve traded bure at the time seeing is how he never really like in vancouver anyways over a guy that bleeds for the city and could gotten alot more on top of bertuzzi mcabe and been and even better team alot sooner. i guess if we trade ballard for player Y and then trade player Y for player X and trade player X for a guy that turns out to be a top goal scorer that means the grabner for ballard trade was a success remember real teams base success on championships so the vancouver canucks have had 0 success in the NHL NONE the franchise is success full as in they make a boat load of money by jamming the arena full every night with over priced tickets and beer and they make millions every year but they dont give you a trophy for that or throw a parade .

I couldn't disagree with you more. You completely missed the point of my thread.

This team has been competitive and contenders for over a decade based on this trade. The legacy of this trade continues to bear success by keeping this team very competitive and very entertaining (it's not all just about winning a Cup).

1) we had the best power forward this team has ever had in Bertuzzi (minus the Moore debacle)

2) we got a good D man in McCabe

3) we flipped McCabe to not just one of the best forwards in Canuck history, but also a future NHL hall of famer in a Sedin

4) we flipped Bertuzzi into the best goalie in Canuck history

5) we still ended up getting Linden back before he retired

6) we will continue this legacy if Luongo is traded for a high level prospect

How are you not getting this???

I couldn't disagree with you more. You completely missed the point of my thread.

This team has been competitive and contenders for over a decade based on this trade. The legacy of this trade continues to bear success by keeping this team very competitive and very entertaining (it's not all just about winning a Cup).

1) we had the best power forward this team has ever had in Bertuzzi (minus the Moore debacle)

2) we got a good D man in McCabe

3) we flipped McCabe to not just one of the best forwards in Canuck history, but also a future NHL hall of famer in a Sedin

4) we flipped Bertuzzi into the best goalie in Canuck history

5) we still ended up getting Linden back before he retired

6) we will continue this legacy if Luongo is traded for a high level prospect

How are you not getting this???

I have to say that the Linden trade was one of the best trades in Canuck history, regardless of my hate for Messier and Keenan (of course Nonuts and Burke picked up on it's legacy years later)

This trade was epic in terms of it having such longstanding effects.

Linden for Bertuzzi = probably the best power forward in Canuck history.

This then became Luongo, who is still here and the best goalie in Canuck history

I'm not done!

We also got McCabe who was a very good D man that later turned to one of the future hall of famer Sedins!

What's even funny is that Linden came back to finish his career here and we didn't have to give up much to get him (I think it was a late pick).

Let's see...Trevor had five +30 goal seasons with Van. Todd had two.

Trevor was a character guy and captain of the team. Was the face of the franchise for many years.

After a stupid, vengeful hit, Todd is traded and the team takes a couple of years to recover.

I'd take Trevor over Todd on my team anytime.

Bertuzzi 0.87 pts/game as a Canuck including a 40+ goal season and 97 points something Linden never even got close to

Linden 0.64 pts/game as a Canuck, no question he was a better character guy but statistics-wise Bertuzzi was miles ahead

Linden was just as popular if not more for what he did off the ice rather than on it

Archived