The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats our BackupPlan?

carlweezer

Gmmg is obviously trying to fill a top 6 hole that he thinks will put the nux over the hump in Doan. Obviously gmmg isnt content with going another year w. Top 6 tweeners like higgins, rAymond, kassian flanking Kesler and Booth.

We know gmmg is a patient, calculated man so he for sure has a plan b if we dont get Doan. So what is it? Is there another player we can target available for trade that is in the same mold as Doan. Guys like Clowe, Simmonds or Hartnell. I doubt these 3 are available. When we lost to the Hawks and they won the cup Gillis saw how the nhl game was being called, it benifited trNsition fast skating teams. We made changes and traded for Ehrhoff, Higgins, Lappy etc. Now he has made comments about how the nhl is changing again and w. Bruins and Kings winning the last 2 cups u can bet gillis is going to make us a bigger more bruising team.

Also i dont believe Arnott is our backup plan if we dont get Doan. If anything he is our safety plan for keslers injury. He doesnt answer what gmmg is looking for in a top 6 rols. Also for those who wants arnott in a nux jersey, this guy is a notorious AHOLE to rookies and young players. Arnott thinks they are trying to take over his job. He is the oppoIte of a mentor someone u wouldnt want around kass, schroeder or jensen.

So whats our backup plan folks? I doubt the lu trade will attain us a top 6 forward unless we package him w. An edler or tanev. That just fills a hole by creating a hole. Who can we realistically trade for to solidify our top 6 come playoff time. Sedin Sedin Burr Kes Booth X ????

First thought is that Luongo would be a cap dump if Doan signs. If Doan doesn't sign, then Luongo would be traded for an overpriced top-6. Who? Not sure.

But if Doan is truly not going to sign for anything less than $7mil per for 4yrs, then you can say goodbye to Doan.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,898,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,301,667

as it is right now, on august 8th this is a 2nd round team at best....

if we dont get doan, then i have no idea what mg is planning because that puts a lot of pressure on him to fill needs on this team in the pending luongo trade

it pains me....to put raymond in the line up

1.) Plan 1: Doan signs. Arnott signs as potentially covering 2C until Kesler is fit, and then he would be moved to 3C. Malhotra, Lapierre to cover center positions and/or wings as needed. Gillis trades Luongo (more than likely) and gets back a number of players/prospects who will likely be ready for next year, unless there's a prospect d-man who can fill in on the bottom-6 right now.

2.) Plan 2: Doan doesn't sign, Arnott signs. As above except, Gillis will go after a roster player, top-6 guy as the center piece in the assumed Luongo deal.

3.) Plan 3: Doan signs, Arnott doesn't. Malhotra and Lapierre, with Schroeder, will look after center duties until Kesler returns. Gillis will look for a center prospect as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

4.) Doan doesn't sign. Arnott doesn't sign. Gillis will look for a top-6 right winger as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

regards,

G.

1.) Plan 1: Doan signs. Arnott signs as potentially covering 2C until Kesler is fit, and then he would be moved to 3C. Malhotra, Lapierre to cover center positions and/or wings as needed. Gillis trades Luongo (more than likely) and gets back a number of players/prospects who will likely be ready for next year, unless there's a prospect d-man who can fill in on the bottom-6 right now.

2.) Plan 2: Doan doesn't sign, Arnott signs. As above except, Gillis will go after a roster player, top-6 guy as the center piece in the assumed Luongo deal.

3.) Plan 3: Doan signs, Arnott doesn't. Malhotra and Lapierre, with Schroeder, will look after center duties until Kesler returns. Gillis will look for a center prospect as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

4.) Doan doesn't sign. Arnott doesn't sign. Gillis will look for a top-6 right winger as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

regards,

G.

first of all, we need to trade luongo before anything can happen to get some cap space for a guy like doan. We currently have $2.4 million in cap space and trading only luongo, we'd have $7.7 million in space & i just read an article that Doan is looking towards us, NYR, and Phili for 4 years @ $7 million each year. If we don't sign him, Kristian Huselius is also on the market... Yeah, he was injured but he has put up points that are great for a second line guy (very similar to Doan). He's not as big as him Doan though.

I wonder if Gillis is being too patient that the panthers will just give up because they're not getting what they want... I really hope he does something good because (and i really really don't wanna admit it) i feel like the roster is very s l o w l y breaking apart. If everyone on our forwards plays their A game (booth, higgy, raymond being 20+, burrows, messy, daniel being 30+, & hansen, lappy, and malhotra being 10+) and the d-men continue being great, then yeah, our team is gonna be awesome and i would stand corrected.

Archived