The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats our BackupPlan?

carlweezer

Trade Luongo to the Capitals for Johansson and Ward.

If Doan doesn't sign here this team is still solid, it would just mean one of our rookies would have to step up. Arnott might be the back up plan but I'm not over the moon with him anyway. If Raymond's on this team in November I'll poo my pants.

1.) Plan 1: Doan signs. Arnott signs as potentially covering 2C until Kesler is fit, and then he would be moved to 3C. Malhotra, Lapierre to cover center positions and/or wings as needed. Gillis trades Luongo (more than likely) and gets back a number of players/prospects Bjugstad, Bergenheim... who will likely be ready for next year, unless there's a prospect d-man Ellerby who can fill in on the bottom-6 right now.

2.) Plan 2: Doan doesn't sign, Arnott signs. As above except, Gillis will go after a roster player, top-6 guy Versteeg as the center piece in the assumed Luongo deal.

3.) Plan 3: Doan signs, Arnott doesn't. Malhotra and Lapierre, with Schroeder, will look after center duties until Kesler returns. Gillis will look for a center prospect Bjugstad as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

4.) Doan doesn't sign. Arnott doesn't sign. Gillis will look for a top-6 right winger Versteeg as the center piece of the assumed Luongo deal.

regards,

G.

128841399876539058.jpg

There are plenty of threads around discussing similar things, but there's the Doan option, return in a Luongo deal option, prospect like Kassian/Jensen option, finding another player via trade or UFA option, etc.

Arnott is not the back-up plan. He should be part of the plan itself. Although his production isn't like it used to be, and his age is starting to play a part in his game, he is still a valuable asset we could use on the 3rd line. Imagine a line with Higgins, Arnott and Hansen. That's a decent 3rd line. In terms of the back-up plan, i can only assume that the hole on the top 6 is the missing piece in the Luongo trade thus why Gillis hasn't pulled the trigger. He is waiting that little bit longer until we get not only a guy that can help the team now, but a guy that can become a key part of the team for the next 3-5+ years.

PS. Lets not forget that this team hasn't exactly lost a lot of players this year. Sure, Salo will be missed but other than that no one has really left. We still have a team that when on their game can be a top 5 team in this league. Not to mention the fact that many players are looking for rebound years and/or a chance to prove themselves (Kassian falls into this category).

First off I dont think you can overlook a very talented group of young guns.....

kassian,Jensen.schreoder.. these guys have all high skill level,decent to solid vision and all have a very good shot... two have decent size.

think of henrique in NJD.....a role player who chips in...who worked himself into a more prime role.

Now i do understand the vet presence and abilty to perform argument....

Trade deadlien has a few players (but not very deep overall) and the question is any team out of it by the trade deadline.

Iggy,Elias,(perry,getzlaf-- highly unlikely on these two not already resigned by jan)Lupul,Morrow,clowe

with teh uncertainty of actual having any of those players avaliable ....shows why doan will get a hefty raise.

Archived