Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tystick

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

301 posts in this topic

I've worked in the mental health field for over 22 years. Believe me, there is a condition called cannibus induced psychosis. And marijiuana can complicate the symptoms of schizophrenia. I've seen it with my own eyes many times. I've ovserved people in a severe paranoid state, thinking they hear others saying demeaning things to them, receiving messages from music or video after smoking pot.

I'm not suggesting that this happens to everyone that smokes it, but like other substances, it can effect some people in a negative way.

I'm not an ignorant prude talking out my ass. You can watch your video all you want. I am only stating what I have seen in REAL scenarios.

Watching biased documentaries and reading Wikipedia is not research.

I'm with Buck on this one. For the record, I don't care if you smoke or not, I have friends who don't, and friends who do, but I, having smoked it before, will never do it again. I noticed memory problems that affected my schooling after a while of smoking, and the decisions I've made under the influence of the drug have been resented by not only me.

I have found that I am much happier, with a brighter outlook on the world after deciding to stop and focus on things that really matter. I can safely say that I'm a lot more optimistic and cheerful, and enjoy life more now than when I smoked pot.

As a chronic user, this thread left me speechless. :sadno:

PS. The irony of this post was not lost on me:

Years of use, not 30 days :picard:

the idiocy level of this thread just keeps moving along :rolleyes:

anyone can assume this or that would happen if it was legalized, but the reality is no one will know until it is, so keep dreaming and puffing away :picard:

we already have enough morons in this country who make bad decisions without the use of marijuana, legalizing it would only make problems worse, any argument suggesting otherwise is not even worthy or a reply.

I don't think I'm ignorant for my decision to stop smoking..

I dont either, it is your choice, but to discredit the mountain of info albeit on Wiki or anywhere else for that matter is. The key word as with any substance is MODERATION ! Chronic use and or abuse will obviously provide negative affects for anyone.

I didn't mean I was discrediting the info, but I don't think documentaries such as the one in the OP show both sides of the story. Yes, moderation is the key, and the abuse of pretty much anything will lead to negative affects, and that includes marijuana. Just because cheeseburgers and alcohol are available to be abused, doesn't justify that marijuana should be either.

Legalizing it won't do much, the main reason for legalizing it is because people believe it will prevent crime, gang wars, get rid of your local pot dealer. However lets put this into perspective. Buying a pack of smokes from Blaine when fueling up gas cost you roughly $4.50 for a Malboro regular size pack and that is a mark up cause of the location it gets cheaper the further down you go there. In Canada your looking at $10 for the exact same pack of smokes. Why is that? All the taxes that we pay on tobacco because of the government, the same would happen to marijuana! Right now a gram goes for $10 and prohibition makes the product worth more than it actually is as there is more risk involved. So it becomes legal the government taxes weed heavily like cigarettes and mass production would cost the government almost nothing and it would be roughly $3 to $4 a gram before taxes are slapped on and know your looking at buying a gram of weed for $11-12 a gram. Now as a consumer WHY THE HELL would I buy weed from the government that:

1. Is over-priced

2. I must drive to the store to go buy it unlike now were you call a number and you have someone knocking at your door in under 15 minutes

3. Mass production of it would cause for unwanted substances to be sprayed on the plant ( I know what your thinking "it's already is sprayed with stuff yadda yadda", but it isn't if you're buying the right stuff"

Your local pot dealer is STILL going to be in buisness as well as his supplier, gangs will STILL be profiting from the sale of marijuana to countries like the United States and guns STILL will be coming into Canada because the trade for marijuana for guns will still exist!

Keep it illegal! Pots the only law-breaking I do right now and if you take that away from me I'll become a law-abiding citizen, what fun is that...

As a chronic user, this thread left me speechless. :sadno:

PS. The irony of this post was not lost on me:

Indeed.

Government should regulate and tax it.

We are already known for our BC Bud, might as well profit from it.

PFFFT. I got news for you, bub...even if someone does "overuse" marijuana...they still aren't going to jump behind the wheel of a car and go kill someone recklessly...you "overuse" pot...and your ass is going to pass out on the couch, but only after you've eaten everything in the pantry. :lol:

I have smoked regularly for parts of my life and not smoked at all for others. There is really no good argument for marijuana remaining illegal. If you smoke it and don't like the feeling or find it effects your memory then don't smoke it...its as simple as that. You don't like the smell?? I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke or of people who don't bathe for days and don't use deodorant. I am with the guy who advocated that all drugs should be legal. If you are a person who abuses heroin, meth, cigarettes, alcohol or any other substance you will continue to do so regardless of legality. The "war on drugs" is just a huge drain on the taxpayers dollar when a small percentage of that money could be used to improve rehabilitation programs and other social services to help people who are truly addicted.

PFFFT. I got news for you, bub...even if someone does "overuse" marijuana...they still aren't going to jump behind the wheel of a car and go kill someone recklessly...you "overuse" pot...and your ass is going to pass out on the couch, but only after you've eaten everything in the pantry. :lol:

Look...be dense on your own time...I know people who have drank too much and got behind the wheel, one of them killed my cousin..but I don't know ANYONE, who after smoking copious amounts of pot, even wanted to go outside, much less have an inkling of wanting to get behind the wheel....I know some who get a small buzz then go and raid the Taco Bell...but your post was about "overuse", which with pot is just about impossible to do without passing out....plus...no one's ever had to go to the hospital to be treated for THC poisoning.

I hate the smell of it, but legalizing it is the only way to go. The War on Drugs by the USA is a huge embarrassment that costs way too much money and has solved nothing. Legalize it and these drug dealers/gangs are out of a job.

Is it foreseeable that a person would smoke more pot than he/she intended? y/n?

Is it foreseeable for a person to smoke pot before or during a high risk activity? y/n?

Is it foreseeable for our culture to use pot excessively? y/n

I don't think doing anything out of moderation is good for anyone, and it seems like pot is another area where people can serious lose control.

Agreed but cheesburgers and alcohol are so many times worse for you than herb . This is the rationale we are all forced to deal with from our governments and their social policies.

That all said, I believe the silly hobby is harmless enough for adults to be legal. Except where children are involved. The penalties for helping children get high should be the same as the trafficking laws now. Also the laws that keep cigarette smoke away from people should apply and driving under influence.