The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

Tystick

I smoked cigarettes for 20 years and understand the second hand smoke myth myself, I agree the bar restrictions are asinine. I think Dennis Leary put it best when he said "What's the rule now? You can only smoke in your house under the bed with all the lights out?"

I don't think that people are going to get second hand munchies from getting it in the face, I do think that any rule that bans smoking should apply to pot. It should be simple to avoid for those of us that don't like the smell.

If someone overuses it, it's most likely that their immediate life isn't so great, and their using it as an escape. The no control thing is BS, if I overuse cheeseburgers, does that mean it should be illegal? How bout coffee? Tylenol?

Guess what? All those things have been overused and are still currently. Yet those aren't illegal? Your argument is void.

Like perfume, BO, ethnic foods, and an infinitely long list of other things that offend someone's sensibilities. Mine happens to be authoritativeness and stupidity - both flush in this thread (not you, just making my feelings known because everyone cares about what I think).

Screw that. I can't stand going to my dealer. I feel like a putz doing it. I'm 27 and my dealer is a 17 year old girl who bought the number from my old guy. Why can't I walk into a store and pick up a bag of weed next to a bottle of liqueur? Oh right, because it smells bad.

Watching biased documentaries and reading Wikipedia is not research.

I'm with Buck on this one. For the record, I don't care if you smoke or not, I have friends who don't, and friends who do, but I, having smoked it before, will never do it again. I noticed memory problems that affected my schooling after a while of smoking, and the decisions I've made under the influence of the drug have been resented by not only me.

I have found that I am much happier, with a brighter outlook on the world after deciding to stop and focus on things that really matter. I can safely say that I'm a lot more optimistic and cheerful, and enjoy life more now than when I smoked pot.

:picard:  Uh huh...  You are not going to go out and buy a cheeseburger because you "have the munchies". People who buy cheeseburgers do so on their preferred regular occurrence, that's just their eating habit, and it's also THEIR CHOICE. I have plenty of friends who have healthy eating habits, and when they get high, they don't stop eating healthy to go out and buy nasty food.

I think you're getting this confused with alcohol

just sayin......................................

Hemp is Legal in both the US (some states) and Canada. Industrial Hemp contains little or no THC. As you outlined above, hemp has many, many wonderful uses that benefit industry and personal health.

Marijuana is legal in neither country. Marijuana plants are bred and raised to contain high levels of THC for people to get ripped. People smoke the buds, not the leaves, seeds and stalks.

It's quite simple to see the difference between the two applications. Legalizing Marijuana would have no impact on industry at all because the hemp plant is already legal. Budz are not.

I invite you to smoke all the industrial hemp plant you like. You will be smoking it 24 /7 on 4:20 to get high.

:towel::canucks:

First question, no. Most people I know at least, that toke....usually know their limits...not to mention the fact that usually when you buy pot you buy enough for your own usage unless you're having a party, so that's irrelevant. Second question, no. As I have said, and driving is one of the highest risk activities you can do, at all...no one I know will get worse than just a little buzzed from a joint before going to a fast food drive-thru, and that's about the extent...do I know people who have smoked pot before sitting through a movie at the theater? Yes, I have done that myself, but that's hardly a high-risk activity. As far as your third question...there are cultures whose religion is based around cannabis smoking...they are Rastafaris...and guess what? When they smoke their herb for "spiritual" purposes, it's often accompanied by Bible study. They consider it a sacrament that cleans the body and mind, heals the soul, exalts the consciousness, facilitates peacefulness, brings pleasure, and brings them closer to Jah (their version of God)...yet it remains illegal in Jamaica, where most of them live. You, being such a "righteous" person...would you condemn THEIR "culture" for using pot excessively, if they claim it gives them insight from Jah and thereby brings them closer to spiritual bliss?

First off, being a Christian I actually put more emphasis on myself being a NOT righteous person. The exactly opposite of you thinking I claim to be a RIGHTEOUS person. You can at least understand that point first.

Second point, it seems like the foundation of your stance towards legalizing marijuana comes from your observations with people you know? Here's a logical fallacy, if you don't personally know any drunk drivers, that means it doesn't exist?

Thirdly, getting to your point on other cultures smoking it as on acceptable terms, as long as it's in moderation. I am sure their culture and religion knows how to handle themselves and knows when smoking marijuana is too much. Marijuana isn't inherently evil, but someone addicted to it does not yield good results.

It's like driving past the speed limit. Driving itself isn't inherently evil, but it can be dangerous. This is the same thing.

Now we can't limit people's use of marijuana, I suppose to can treat it like drinking and let people discern for themselves, but in my experience, people always go overboard with things they can do.

Will the world be a better place if marijuana was legalized, I don't think so. Just leave it where it is.

Look...be dense on your own time...I know people who have drank too much and got behind the wheel, one of them killed my cousin..but I don't know ANYONE, who after smoking copious amounts of pot, even wanted to go outside, much less have an inkling of wanting to get behind the wheel....I know some who get a small buzz then go and raid the Taco Bell...but your post was about "overuse", which with pot is just about impossible to do without passing out....plus...no one's ever had to go to the hospital to be treated for THC poisoning.

AS AN ATHEIST.....I actually put more emphasis on being sane.

For if alcohol is legal, then so too should marijuana be, for alcohol is also addictive, as are cigarettes, and are available for responsible and regulated consumption for those who choose to partake of it.

I for one think marijuana should remain illegal, they call it the devil's lettuce for a reason. After I became a Boston Bruin fan 2 years ago I found god and religon. From that point forward I tried to spread the word of the holy lord thru abstinence and sobriety by teaching the fundamentals to our youth by

OH HELL NAH, LEGALIZE MY HERB BEEHATCHES.

Archived