The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

Tystick

I think it shouldn't be legalized.

I, as a marijuana user myself, love the way I see the world when I'm high, but legalizing pot can backfire. As far as I know, there is no current way to tell how much THC someone has in their system, other than a urine test. If someone is driving high and they get pulled over, there is no way the cop can test them for the amount of the drug in their system. Someone can get pulled over high as a kite, and they are almost always let go. I haven't heard of a lot of fatal accidents that have had a direct connection to marijuana use, but why give drivers another substance to get impaired off of?

As for the "if marijuana is illegal then alcohol should be too" argument, alcohol's only use isn't to get wasted, it can be used as a casual, tasty drink. Some people love the taste of an ice cold beer on a hot day, or a nice glass of port wine after a meal. They drink it cause it tastes good, not cause they want to get hammered. When someone is smoking weed, they're doing it to get high, there isn't any other reason other than easing pain, but that's what painkillers are for (even though oxycontin, T3's and other prescription painkillers aren't all sunshine and rainbows).

OK fair enough. So what are these "facts" that show the other side of the argument? Marijuana damages the lungs? causes cancer? causes psychosis? leads to death? These aren't facts dude. None of those have been proven true. For your information, I have done research on both sides of the argument, I'm an open-minded person. From what I've learned, the pros outweigh the cons.

Sorry if you were repulsed by what I said, but I still find it true.

Good point, but does this stop kids from doing this now? Most people that drive under the influence of Marijuana are teenagers. If Marijuana was legalized, IMO the amount under of teenagers under the influence would be cut down. Admittedly, having driven under the influence of alcohol at one point, as well as Marijuana at another (both of which i regret), I found I was more aware of how I was driving under the influence of Marijuana (not saying I support this). I think if it was to be legalized, you shouldn't be allowed to drive under the influence, resulting with the same penalties as alcohol, which can be deciphered by checking ones eyes being bloodshot, cognitive tests, simply having a conversation with the person, or even taking a strand of hair for tests (just some ideas).

I don't exactly support the consumption of alcohol for many reasons. It causes way to many deaths per year (not just the people drinking it), people use it as an escape when to much stress is involved in their lives, which in turn can easily ruin their families lives (I would know, my grandpa is a violent alcoholic). Although, I still feel drinking in moderation is perfectly OK, I love having an ice cold beer on a hot summer day. In turn, Marijuana can be used in moderation for medical conditions just as good as any prescription drug can (if not better). Marijuana could replace that glass of whiskey to relax the nerves, and in result, maybe there would be less domestic abuse. Marijuana is a natural growing herb, and should be used as such.

Agreed Ty...100%...I want to see some stone-cold facts about how any kind of smoke, cigarette or marijuana, actaully "causes" cancer....I'll be waiting forever....because there aren't any...this is a scare tactic that has been used for years and years...and as we all know...Fear Sells.

Ya man! Who really knows what causes cancer? It seems science adds a new cause every day haha. My guess is if it's due to a mutation, wouldn't the leading cause be the damn air we breath? We don't just breath in pure oxygen, it's mixed with who knows what from toxic emissions, and we breath this in EVERY SINGLE DAY! I for one can tell the difference in oxygen levels when I go for a walk in a forest compared to walking in downtown Vancouver.

Agree with this part of that post, but I actually think the penalty for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" in regards to pot should be as stiff as allowing underage kids to drink at a party if you get caught doing it. And the whole "second-hand smoke" bs you referenced is little more than a myth...as a cigarette smoker for 16 years now, at least here in the US, I have seen smokers' rights dwindle to the point where we're not even allowed to smoke in bars anymore, and in some places around not even on the sidewalk...if you ask me, that's getting really out of hand, but that's a topic for another thread. In my experience...the only people who have ever been charged with driving under the influence of pot are those who have been pulled over for a normal traffic violation, and then some overzealous cop searches their glove compartment with no probable cause. The effects of pot are not the same as alcohol, in the least, and no one I know, even with a buzz, swerves all over the road or at all, to the point that there is a concern they are endangering the lives of others.

I don't care what potheads do. Wouldn't legalization allow you to smoke it anywhere? I'm not one to get my jimmies rustled over something, but that would kinda piss me off if everywhere I go I can smell dope in the air. And, well, nobody here in favor of legalization cares what those against legalization think. But I don't want it legalized just because it can be abused like every other narcotic. And if you allow that to happen to yourself then you're an idiot and deserve it anyway. I've seen the argument that because alcohol and cigarettes can be abused and are legal, therefore marijuana should be too. That's not a valid reason, that's just stupid. And, of course it smells like sh1t -- Abbotsford smells bad enough in most parts of town as it is.

But obviously if the pros of legalization outweigh the cons then it should probably legalized. That would be the logical thing to do. However, I don't know enough about the pros and cons of it and I quite frankly really don't care at the end of the day because I've never smoked it.

No...legalization would let you smoke it. Period. Right now, you're technically not allowed to do so under current laws.

And are you serious? You're entire reply there was conjured up by the fact that marijuana smells bad, give me a god damn break. With or without legalization pot is still being smoked everywhere, making it legal validates a pothead's freedom to smoke it. If an adult who is legally able to make his own choices, why should you or anyone else make the choice for him and say that you're not allowed to abuse marijuana or any other drug? Who are you to interfere in his choices like that? Like I said before, peoeple are forgetting the principles of personal liberty.

That's right, it smells awful. Of course pothead and losers as such don't care as long as they can get baked legally as much as they want. Just imagine if it was legalized, cities and towns would smell like a dump. And I'm not making that choice for potheads. Like I said, if you're an idiot, you're an idiot, continue to be one by abusing it. Legal or not, you're going to do it if you want to bad enough. Regardless of the pros and cons of legalization, I and those against pot win and the potheads wanting legalization lose. Too bad, so sad.

I don't care what potheads do. Wouldn't legalization allow you to smoke it anywhere? I'm not one to get my jimmies rustled over something, but that would kinda piss me off if everywhere I go I can smell dope in the air. And, well, nobody here in favor of legalization cares what those against legalization think. But I don't want it legalized just because it can be abused like every other narcotic. And if you allow that to happen to yourself then you're an idiot and deserve it anyway. I've seen the argument that because alcohol and cigarettes can be abused and are legal, therefore marijuana should be too. That's not a valid reason, that's just stupid. And, of course it smells like sh1t -- Abbotsford smells bad enough in most parts of town as it is.

But obviously if the pros of legalization outweigh the cons then it should probably legalized. That would be the logical thing to do. However, I don't know enough about the pros and cons of it and I quite frankly really don't care at the end of the day because I've never smoked it.

The two big differences it would make are: 1) Seriously damage organized crime in North America

2) Reduce the prison costs by an estimated 40% in the USA

Just my humble opinion .. it would not change my life in any way ..

Archived