The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who was the worst player in the NHL last season?

Don't agree that the answer is Scott Gomez based on the criteria for 'worst player'. The question isn't asking which player has the worst value, the question is asking who the worst hockey player is.

My vote would go to John Scott, though I don't think he meets the 41+ game criteria.

Gomez is terrible value on that contract, but I wouldn't say he's the worst player in the NHL.

Sticking strictly to non-enforcers and full-time NHL players, Ed Jovanovski was fed easy minutes and failed miserably last season at both ends of the rink. I'd probably go with him.

Scott Gomez was probably the worst value player but definitely not the worst player. I'd take Scott Gomez's production on my team for 700K.

What I want to know is who the most useless players in the NHL are. Guys who are neither goons nor call-ups and somehow stuck around for over half a season. Unfortunately my two examples were rookies, although Marty Reasoner almost made it in there. But because he played a bit of a defensive role on a horrible Islanders team I kept him off. Derek Joslin and Cam Barker should be included in the discussions, as should Marco Sturm and Ed Jovanovski (although he is more of a "bad value" player). Theo Peckam almost made it as well but at least he is tough.

Raymond should be nowhere near this list. He scored at about a 16 goal pace and was pretty good on the penalty kill. Not very good value at 2.5 million though.

Scott Gomez was probably the worst value player but definitely not the worst player. I'd take Scott Gomez's production on my team for 700K.

What I want to know is who the most useless players in the NHL are. Guys who are neither goons nor call-ups and somehow stuck around for over half a season. Unfortunately my two examples were rookies, although Marty Reasoner almost made it in there. But because he played a bit of a defensive role on a horrible Islanders team I kept him off. Derek Joslin and Cam Barker should be included in the discussions, as should Marco Sturm and Ed Jovanovski (although he is more of a "bad value" player). Theo Peckam almost made it as well but at least he is tough.

Raymond should be nowhere near this list. He scored at about a 16 goal pace and was pretty good on the penalty kill. Not very good value at 2.5 million though.

Trevor Gillies. What a useless tit. Makes a professional living because he's massive and because he can pound someone's face to a pulp. Not because he can play hockey, because he can't.

I laugh at his track record. Between the ECHL, AHL and NHL, he's played for 15 teams. Basically putting a new jersey on every year since departing the OHL.

Archived