The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to become a bartender

Tim Thomas

um....you guys know a decent way to become a bartender?

i thought of like going to bartending school and getting a certificate but ppl've been telling me that's not a good option and i should rather buidl up my experience as a server and work my way up.

what do u think?

Maybe they love meeting people, are enthusiastic, love to be creative and just love working in an exciting environment.

Who are you to judge what someone wants to do as a career.

As for the OP, I suggest you first get maybe a year of experience in a restaurant and then get a Bartending license. Experience + License look really good. Here's a renown Bartending School in BC, so you could get your license, you can choose your location too.

Only an 8 day course I believe for $475.00 with no extra fees, but it looks GREAT on your resume. Here's the outline

http://fineartbartending.com/

Fair enough.

There's quite a difference between working as a bartender in a restaurant compared to a club or bar. Restaurant you're more likely to be a server and a bartender while in a bar or club you're a straight bartender making a larger salary. Probably $30,000-$60,000.

um....you guys know a decent way to become a bartender?

i thought of like going to bartending school and getting a certificate but ppl've been telling me that's not a good option and i should rather buidl up my experience as a server and work my way up.

what do u think?

Get a job at a place that prides itself on bartender and has a good training program.

TGI Fridays for example has a good bartender training program.

To become a master bartender you have to memorize 1000 drinks including the type of glass and garnish for each if i recakk correctly.

They also emphasize flairing or bottle tricks which up your value as a bartender especially if you want extra work at events etc.

I have a friend who was number 5 in the UK for flairing and he made excellent coin doing corporate events for a couple of hours at a time.

A family member of mine used to bartend at GM Place. Would usually make $150-250 for a 4-hour shift. But he was one of the head guys down at the bar for the club seats, so that's definitely more than the average.

However, it was nights of course, and he had to miss watching pretty much every home Canucks game. (Couldn't just PVR without knowing what happened either.)

I love making drinks for people, but I wouldn't be able to stand doing it for hours without being able to have some myself. Also, the constant small talk with sloshed people while completely sober would probably get irritating after a while.

To be a good bartender you have to be good looking and charasmatic, or very very charasmatic and okay looking. You can make 100k+ per year tax free if you're at a busy & expensive place, but there's only a few positions like that available, and you have to be really good at your job.

Archived