The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

six-0h-four-

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And no I'm not talking about Fin. Whales are indigenous to Vancouver, so a whale mascot is a good fit.

I'm talking about the jerseys. Some people love them, some people hate them. Others (like me) are in between. For the record, I love the color scheme. The blue and green symbolize Vancouver very well, and look nice to boot.

As many of you know, as of 2006, Francesco Aquilini obtained 100% of the Vancouver Canucks Organization from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, so there is no official corporate tie nowadays to speak of.

Chalk me up for making the Blue/ Green stick the main jersey.

I think our regular home jersey right now is one of the cooler jerseys/logos in the league. I like it and hope they don't change it....

The Killer Whale is one of the most powerful, smart and deadly animals on Earth, I like it as a symbol for our team. Can't do much better than that. I always laugh when I think of the logo for the Maple Leafs. "Whoa, a Leaf? How intimidating."

I've said this before and it's unpopular. But maybe the problem is we've chosen a moniker "Canucks" which really does not lead to a graphic representation. Unless we decide to adopt a neutral logo like the Yankees (i.e. a logo with VC in it) I really think we're going to constantly get people going on and on and on, on the jerseys.

In fact you always know it's offseason when there's half a dozen jersey discussions going on.

I think enough people are fine with it as is. I hope to God we never change because the fickle nature of fans really drives me nuts.

Canuck fans already give enough fodder to to people in Montreal and TO without getting our knickers in a knot about our uniforms.

It's already a running joke how many times in the past we've changed them. How about something radical like....STABILITY.

Face it you're never going to satisfy everyone. The downhill skate people will never be happy, the stick in rink people will never be happy, the sick people who think the flying V looks cool I will always challenge their taste on that.

Let's just keep it the same for oh I don't know a few DECADES.

End rant.

Yes!

Ditch that whale! Slowly incorporate the stick as are main logo, I know alot of people dont want to change jerseys again but remember THIS WAS OUR FIRST JERSEY! So were going back to our roots. And the millionaires jersey and color scheme just look saaaweet!!

:emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

No.

I would however love to see White as the home jersey.

My argument would be:

With the away wearing the dark jersey you get to see every NHL teams different color jersey when they come to play in Vancouver, instead of seeing white every fracking time.

Home: White

Away: Color

PLEASE! (yes I know this is a league decision)

Anyways as for your question I say keep the jerseys as is! - we don't need to change it again and again just because we think that's the norm. Look at some original six teams - we need to create a logo that holds the identity of the team for decades - rather than continually changing it.

Would love to see the Millionaires jersey as a 3rd this year

Yeah, whatever happened to sticking with something (pun intended)? I mean, geez. Consistent branding is prevalent in every successful business/organization. Look at Starbucks, Nike, McDonalds, Wal Mart. I'm not saying consistent branding equates to success. What I AM saying is that all successful companies have a few things in common - one of those things is consistency in their branding and logo.

You look at all the original six teams. Chicago, Boston, New York Rangers, Toronto, Montreal, and Philadelphia. Chicago and Montreal have gone through some ups and downs but they've never wavered on their logo; their identity. And that really means something. It means that my grandpa can look at the jersey I'm wearing and know what team it is. It means that when I'm in his shoes, I can do the same. You get to pull all these generations together and they know who they're rooting for and what they're cheering about. That's more powerful than changing your brand every five years. That's why most (I'm not saying all) of these original six teams never have to worry about moving to another city - it's because their logo has become part of the identity and history of that city.

Archived