The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

six-0h-four-

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally I never liked the whale logo, and the Flying Skate shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

I know that people are tentative about changing the jerseys again but honestly I would be fine with having the Stick and Puck as our main jersey and dropping the whale. At least with that option we wouldn't really be changing it so much as just dropping our 3rd jersey option.

I love the green and blue retro colors that we've changed back to, I just wish it came with a silver Flying Skate.

Why? That logo has become part of our identity, and is an identity we can be proud of, why would we change it. We shouldn't change just because of its origins with Orca Bay. Since that time it has been part of our identity. An identity we can be proud of. When you picture the Canucks and the whale, what you see is Back to back presidents trophies, great players such as Naslund, the Sedins or Luongo wearing, and really has come to represent our city and team. Reverting to some old design from a time when our team was pathetic and we had no identity is not a good move.

Think back to our previous logos, they just don`t have the same identity and personality that we have been able to find since adopting the logo. Even though at the time it was brought under the wrong circumstances, it should stay for other reasons.

So a big fat no to changing it.

I've said this before and it's unpopular. But maybe the problem is we've chosen a moniker "Canucks" which really does not lead to a graphic representation. Unless we decide to adopt a neutral logo like the Yankees (i.e. a logo with VC in it) I really think we're going to constantly get people going on and on and on, on the jerseys.

In fact you always know it's offseason when there's half a dozen jersey discussions going on.

I think enough people are fine with it as is. I hope to God we never change because the fickle nature of fans really drives me nuts.

Canuck fans already give enough fodder to to people in Montreal and TO without getting our knickers in a knot about our uniforms.

It's already a running joke how many times in the past we've changed them. How about something radical like....STABILITY.

Face it you're never going to satisfy everyone. The downhill skate people will never be happy, the stick in rink people will never be happy, the sick people who think the flying V looks cool I will always challenge their taste on that.

Let's just keep it the same for oh I don't know a few DECADES.

End rant.

Speaking as someone from outside Canada, I love the jersey design on all three jerseys. I think the colour combinations and the Orca design looks classy.

I would hate it if we changed.

Also I think if a team wants to build a history, reputation and aura of greatness around itself it needs to be identifiable over the decades. If anything I think we have had too many changes in the past. Now that we have a classic design we should give it a greatness of achievement on the ice.

A third PT AS WELL as a SC this year would be a start in making this team legendary.

PS the skate for me is an epic fail. Imo anything you have to be nearer than 20 feet to make out is bad design for a sports shirt. Ok on a letter head but sorry, not on a jersey. The colours are ok but are actually Southern Hemisphere/Latin colours so again I find them a bit of a fail.

Why? That logo has become part of our identity, and is an identity we can be proud of, why would we change it. We shouldn't change just because of its origins with Orca Bay. Since that time it has been part of our identity. An identity we can be proud of. When you picture the Canucks and the whale, what you see is Back to back presidents trophies, great players such as Naslund, the Sedins or Luongo wearing, and really has come to represent our city and team. Reverting to some old design from a time when our team was pathetic and we had no identity is not a good move.

Think back to our previous logos, they just don`t have the same identity and personality that we have been able to find since adopting the logo. Even though at the time it was brought under the wrong circumstances, it should stay for other reasons.

So a big fat no to changing it.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree and on so many levels. First of all we did go back to an 'old' design. The current colors and our secondary logo are retro you know, from previous years, so what are you even talking about? If memory serves there has been no time where we've won a championship either. Just because we've won 2 presidents in the last 2 seasons doesn't justify the whale logo.

Orca came in and destroyed the identity we had. I find it gross that you call the previous era 'pathetic' when Orca was the worst time period for the franchise. I recall going to the SCF's during 94 and we also went in 82, which is more than what Orca could say during it's ownership tenure.

Also if you're going to tie players names to identity of the franchise, Trevor Linden is by far the biggest hero this city ever had and he didn't wear the current jersey, neither did Bure and he's considered to be the biggest talent we ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current colors, just not a fan of the logo.

And no I'm not talking about Fin. Whales are indigenous to Vancouver, so a whale mascot is a good fit.

I'm talking about the jerseys. Some people love them, some people hate them. Others (like me) are in between. For the record, I love the color scheme. The blue and green symbolize Vancouver very well, and look nice to boot.

As many of you know, as of 2006, Francesco Aquilini obtained 100% of the Vancouver Canucks Organization from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, so there is no official corporate tie nowadays to speak of.

Chalk me up for making the Blue/ Green stick the main jersey.

I sympathise with your view and partly agree.

However I think the mistake we have made is too many radical changes to our jerseys over what is a relatively short time. I don't know how much new ownership has to do with this but as I say above, any team wishing to build a "world wide" hockey identity can't afford to keep changing it's jersey as radically as we do. It smacks of desperation and lack of direction and confidence.

As a fan I think you need to see a jersey and say "Canucks"..................... not "Canucks.....what era?"

Archived