Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it time to ditch the "Whale"? (266 member(s) have cast votes)

What should be the Canucks' jersey combo for next season?

1. Keep it the same. (Blue Home Whale, White Road Whale, Blue/Green Stick 3rd) (145 votes [54.51%])

Percentage of vote: 54.51%

2. Blue/ Green Stick as main jersey, Whale Jersey as 3rd. (24 votes [9.02%])

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

3. Blue/ Green Stick as main jersey, Millionaires as 3rd jersey. (55 votes [20.68%])

Percentage of vote: 20.68%

4. Other (42 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

3rd to 1st

#62 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Ok there, Mr. Sheldon Cooper

i've literally never been more insulted. to be compared to a horrible character from that abysmally generic and unfunny tv show, one of the worst of all time, even ... ugh.

#63 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, whatever happened to sticking with something (pun intended)? I mean, geez. Consistent branding is prevalent in every successful business/organization. Look at Starbucks, Nike, McDonalds, Wal Mart. I'm not saying consistent branding equates to success. What I AM saying is that all successful companies have a few things in common - one of those things is consistency in their branding and logo.

You look at all the original six teams. Chicago, Boston, New York Rangers, Toronto, Montreal, and Philadelphia. Chicago and Montreal have gone through some ups and downs but they've never wavered on their logo; their identity. And that really means something. It means that my grandpa can look at the jersey I'm wearing and know what team it is. It means that when I'm in his shoes, I can do the same. You get to pull all these generations together and they know who they're rooting for and what they're cheering about. That's more powerful than changing your brand every five years. That's why most (I'm not saying all) of these original six teams never have to worry about moving to another city - it's because their logo has become part of the identity and history of that city.

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, and I hate the "teachers" on here that are always correcting everyone, but I just couldn't let this one go...c'mon dude. Philly as an original 6? Did you mean Detroit? Or were you officially meaning Philly as in the Quakers?

The NHL was formed in 1917 with 4 teams (Montreal Canadians, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators and Quebec Bulldogs which began NHL ops as the Toronto Arenas...these are the ORIGINAL 4). When Philly was a part of the NHL (either as the Pittsburgh Pirates or the Philadelphia Quakers) there were between 7 to 9 teams (so never 6). The term ORIGINAL 6 refers to the time period from 1942 to 1967 when the league was stabilized and right before modern expansion occured. The original 6 were the 5 teams you mentioned but includes Detroit, not Philly. Philly was added in 1967 with 5 other teams (LA, Pitts, Minny, Cali Golden Seals and St. Lou).

Just sayin'...(I am such a frickin' hockey nerd!)

#64 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

I was hoping you were talking about fin cuz there are numerous other posts in regards to changing our jersey and i voted to keep and your poll has the keep vote sooooo...anyone else wanna test these waters hopefully see your poll and say oh that was done already lol

#65 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I like our jersey, so no.

#66 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Was hoping this was a thread about trying to ditch a girlfriend that really let herself go.

Hahaha good one. Made my day, answer is yes, ditch her
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#67 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Nope. Orca is here to stay. Thank God, because we finally have an identity.

Orca stays. Sorry kids.

Agreed. We need to keep and maintain one jersey concept to create more of a tradition in Vancouver. Teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit and New York have pretty much left their jerseys untouched. The design of each is easily recognised and is related to the team immediately. I'd like to see that here. Enough with the changes.

#68 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I could deff submit you in an armbar.

I bet you can (and do) beat up your mom better then him too.
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#69 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 69,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Keep it the same. (Blue Home Whale, White Road Whale, Blue/Green Stick 3rd)

307mg00.jpg

#70 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

does anyone like ANYTHING about this team anymore?

why do we have to change everything about the team every season!

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#71 Zedlee

Zedlee

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Oh god PLEASE ditch the whale. A Canuck is not a fish for gods sake! Our current primary logo is an utter piece of trash...a contrived symbol of the former owner of the team....good lord...is there a worse logo in the league? I doubt it.

My worst nightmare is we win the Cup wearing the whale and then we'll never get rid of it.

Go with the Stick and Rink...those S & R uniforms are up there with the best in the league...absolutely gorgeous colors and classic logo. Also historical...our first logo was the stick and rink. On par with the Red Wings, Habs, Bruins, Rangers...all the original 6 logos.

And for our secondary uniform...Johnny Canuck of course. Classic, represents BC history and was used in the 1960's by the Canucks.

We don't need to invent any more logos....we have 2 of the best already.

#72 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

cool story, bro.

You too.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#73 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

I bet you can (and do) beat up your mom better then him too.

lol.....................good one?

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#74 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

PS the skate for me is an epic fail. Imo anything you have to be nearer than 20 feet to make out is bad design for a sports shirt. Ok on a letter head but sorry, not on a jersey. The colours are ok but are actually Southern Hemisphere/Latin colours so again I find them a bit of a fail.

I agree objectively the skate jersey is kind of meh. I'm not sure how long you've followed the Canucks but it's mainly for nostalgia's sake, anyone in their 20s or beyond will remember that era fondly growing up (Linden, Bure, etc etc) and I'd find it a lot more entertaining to see that jersey than the insanely boring 'stick in rink' logo from the 70s or whatever.

#75 Zedlee

Zedlee

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

Agreed. We need to keep and maintain one jersey concept to create more of a tradition in Vancouver. Teams like Toronto, Montreal, Detroit and New York have pretty much left their jerseys untouched. The design of each is easily recognised and is related to the team immediately. I'd like to see that here. Enough with the changes.

We don't need a new logo...the Canucks got it right in 1970! They should have stayed with the Stick and Rink all along. It is a great logo, simple and classic and on par with the traditional teams...why not use it? What I'd love to see is the Canucks win the cup and the captain hoist the mug wearing the stick and rink! Sadly the secondary logo is not used in the playoffs and so we'll never see that.

#76 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think we found our identity --> a team that changes uniforms every decade.

#77 kessywessy

kessywessy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Our jerseys are fine, there is no need to change them!

#78 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

was at a lunch event with de Bonis. Talked about the logo and no it will not be changing. For those without a business background...the orca is not just something on our jersey, it is a brand. He talked about how the Canucks brand was the strongest it has ever been and how it is recognizable on a global scale. No business rebrands their entire organization at this point. It is a poor strategic decision.

The orca is here to stay.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#79 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Keep the main jersey the same. I could really care less about the which the design the third jersey has.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#80 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

You people are blind.

What is Vancouver and BC really about?

Is it about a whale?
Is it about a skate?
Is it about a flying v?
Is it about a stink n rink?

It's all of them.

We are one of the most artistic, beautiful, multicultural places on the planet and you think just 1 jersey defines us.

#81 infinitecarnage

infinitecarnage

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

they should have never changed this. simple, aesthetic and doesn't look too busy

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by infinitecarnage, 09 August 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Posted Image

#82 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Oh god PLEASE ditch the whale. A Canuck is not a fish for gods sake! Our current primary logo is an utter piece of trash...a contrived symbol of the former owner of the team....good lord...is there a worse logo in the league? I doubt it.

My worst nightmare is we win the Cup wearing the whale and then we'll never get rid of it.

Go with the Stick and Rink...those S & R uniforms are up there with the best in the league...absolutely gorgeous colors and classic logo. Also historical...our first logo was the stick and rink. On par with the Red Wings, Habs, Bruins, Rangers...all the original 6 logos.

And for our secondary uniform...Johnny Canuck of course. Classic, represents BC history and was used in the 1960's by the Canucks.

We don't need to invent any more logos....we have 2 of the best already.

A whale is not a fish, it is a mammal.

#83 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm sorry but I just don't agree and on so many levels. First of all we did go back to an 'old' design. The current colors and our secondary logo are retro you know, from previous years, so what are you even talking about? If memory serves there has been no time where we've won a championship either. Just because we've won 2 presidents in the last 2 seasons doesn't justify the whale logo.

Orca came in and destroyed the identity we had. I find it gross that you call the previous era 'pathetic' when Orca was the worst time period for the franchise. I recall going to the SCF's during 94 and we also went in 82, which is more than what Orca could say during it's ownership tenure.

Also if you're going to tie players names to identity of the franchise, Trevor Linden is by far the biggest hero this city ever had and he didn't wear the current jersey, neither did Bure and he's considered to be the biggest talent we ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current colors, just not a fan of the logo.

I wasn't talking about jersey colours, I was talking about the whale. And like I said, just because it was brought in under bad circumstances and the wrong reasons, doesn't mean it hasn't gained meaning here in Vancouver.
Also, when referring to pathetic past teams, you automatically assume that I am talking about the few good seasons in the early 90s with Linden, Bure and co. That was the only other time in franchise history where the team was good enough to be considered good. Our improbable 82 run, was improbable and we were unable to actually find any success after that. When I say pathetic past teams, I am referring to all those years of losing. So don't point out the exception, as there still was another 20+ years of failure.
This team hasn't accomplished anything more? I would beg to differ, we've accomplished pretty much everything but the ultimate goal. But over the last decade we have become recognizable as a team, and we have players that represent us. From the Linden/ Bure years, the only real superstar we had was Bure (who was great), but after that it was mostly hometown heroes. Don't get me wrong, Linden was great for us, but not so great that the league remembers him as anything but another team leader.
And yes both Bure and Linden wore the orca on their jersey. This current colour scheme is not up for debate, it is the whale logo. Granted, for Bure it was during one of our franchise lows, but still he wore it. But again, the circumstances that it was brought in over a decade ago should not overshadow the fact that it has become a recognizable symbol for the Vancouver Canucks.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#84 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I love the current jerseys. We have played well with them (not that it means anything) and they are visually appealing. As long as the Canucks aren't strapped for cash, we should keep the same or very similar jerseys.

#85 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

The current colour scheme is excellent and one of the best in the league so I wouldn't even think about changing that. The Canucks jersey turnover is a bit of a joke in the NHL (no offense intended) and it's time for some stability. There's nothing wrong with the whale and it's really become an identifiable symbol for the Canucks. The "stick in the rink" jersey is awesome, but I think it's best to leave it as something special (the 3rd jersey).

Logo and colour scheme are only part of what makes a jersey good, I believe that the team's current results and overall history have an impact too. The Canucks have had a great team over the past few years and that help contribute to how well the jersey looks.

The only jersey change I'd like to see is a league wide one - bring back the white jersey for home games and the dark jersey for road games. I know it won't happen because most of the 3rd jerseys are dark, but I still prefer white at home.

#86 CNKZfan

CNKZfan

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

And no I'm not talking about Fin. Whales are indigenous to Vancouver, so a whale mascot is a good fit.

I'm talking about the jerseys. Some people love them, some people hate them. Others (like me) are in between. For the record, I love the color scheme. The blue and green symbolize Vancouver very well, and look nice to boot.

As many of you know, as of 2006, Francesco Aquilini obtained 100% of the Vancouver Canucks Organization from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, so there is no official corporate tie nowadays to speak of.

Chalk me up for making the Blue/ Green stick the main jersey.

are u high?
why would u want to change?

Edited by CNKZfan, 09 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#87 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wear the Johnny Canuck for one game!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#88 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Leave it as it is but switch back to home is white and dark is away, I never understood why it changed...

People who want to change need to realize something. We've changed out jerseys more than the grizzlies have..... Maybe just leave things be for a while?
The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#89 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

its so hard to get used to a new uniform

id prefer we stick with what we got now untill the team falls into a toronto like terribleness where the only good news could be a new jersey/ logo

honestly

all toronto bashing aside

(argonauts suck , blue jays suck , raptors sucks , leafs suck)

Edited by cIutch, 09 August 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

#90 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hell no.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.