Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it time to ditch the "Whale"? (266 member(s) have cast votes)

What should be the Canucks' jersey combo for next season?

1. Keep it the same. (Blue Home Whale, White Road Whale, Blue/Green Stick 3rd) (145 votes [54.51%])

Percentage of vote: 54.51%

2. Blue/ Green Stick as main jersey, Whale Jersey as 3rd. (24 votes [9.02%])

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

3. Blue/ Green Stick as main jersey, Millionaires as 3rd jersey. (55 votes [20.68%])

Percentage of vote: 20.68%

4. Other (42 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Changing the logo/jersey over and over again cheapens it.

#92 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

was at a lunch event with de Bonis. Talked about the logo and no it will not be changing.

For those without a business background...the orca is not just something on our jersey, it is a brand. He talked about how the Canucks brand was the strongest it has ever been and how it is recognizable on a global scale. No business rebrands their entire organization at this point. It is a poor strategic decision.

The orca is here to stay.

This is, of course, the only thing that matters.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#93 CityinFlames

CityinFlames

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

The Orca will be around as long as the current owner is in place, since Aqulini is the remaining owner of the Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. When the new owner is in place that's when you'll see a change of logo, uniforms etc because they aren't going to advertise for free by keeping the Orca on any product linking to the Canucks.

#94 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

The Orca will be around as long as the current owner is in place, since Aqulini is the remaining owner of the Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. When the new owner is in place that's when you'll see a change of logo, uniforms etc because they aren't going to advertise for free by keeping the Orca on any product linking to the Canucks.

Orca Bay is long gone.

http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=452518

Leave the jerseys alone! They're great the way they are. Mix it up with the older ones for 3rd jerseys all you like, but the main jersey needs to stay the same.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#95 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Stay with the Orca.
Posted Image

#96 19eightyfour

19eightyfour

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

"the whale" was and always will be hartford... though most of you on here might be too young to know that. i admit, i hate the frickin' orca with a burning passion (always have), but the main reason i believe we should change is that the orca only came into play because of the "orca bay sports" moniker, and that was a chapter in canucks history. this is a new chapter and there should be a change to represent that.

the fact is there are really only 2 types of logos/jerseys in the nhl, those that have essentially been untouched (perhaps modified or modernized) and those that have completely changed at least one time. once a team makes such a change, it's pretty much open season on the possibility of future changes. the canucks are most certainly in the 2nd category, so why not acknowledge this new era of the franchise with something of it's own? it's either that, or go back to the original (canucks, not millionaires) scheme with stick in rink... okay, that's totally my biased opinion, but hey! they're awesome!

in conclusion, i reiterate: i hate that f*@&ing orca... hate. it. (silver lining: at least our jerseys are navy and maroon anymore!)

#97 Vancouver911

Vancouver911

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

but i want this

Posted Image

#98 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

The colors need to go even more than the whale. That stale eco friendly blue-green combo is a turn off, and there are countless other blue jerseys in the league.

The stick in rink logo is the worst ever devised for any pro uniform. Nobody, not otherwise informed, sees a "C" in it. "Johnny Canuck" is the lone bright spot among current logos.

I agree with Don Taylor is that the "flying V" was the best uni the Nucks ever had. It was original and intimidating and the color scheme was regal. It can be brought back as was or with some minor polish, perhaps only adding Johnny Canuck and the whale (if you must) as shoulder or arm patches.

Behold, a jersey worthy of the likes of Kassian, Mallet, and all the other future bruisers MG is assembling:

Posted Image

#99 cmccomb

cmccomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

I wasn't talking about jersey colours, I was talking about the whale. And like I said, just because it was brought in under bad circumstances and the wrong reasons, doesn't mean it hasn't gained meaning here in Vancouver.
Also, when referring to pathetic past teams, you automatically assume that I am talking about the few good seasons in the early 90s with Linden, Bure and co. That was the only other time in franchise history where the team was good enough to be considered good. Our improbable 82 run, was improbable and we were unable to actually find any success after that. When I say pathetic past teams, I am referring to all those years of losing. So don't point out the exception, as there still was another 20+ years of failure.
This team hasn't accomplished anything more? I would beg to differ, we've accomplished pretty much everything but the ultimate goal. But over the last decade we have become recognizable as a team, and we have players that represent us. From the Linden/ Bure years, the only real superstar we had was Bure (who was great), but after that it was mostly hometown heroes. Don't get me wrong, Linden was great for us, but not so great that the league remembers him as anything but another team leader.
And yes both Bure and Linden wore the orca on their jersey. This current colour scheme is not up for debate, it is the whale logo. Granted, for Bure it was during one of our franchise lows, but still he wore it. But again, the circumstances that it was brought in over a decade ago should not overshadow the fact that it has become a recognizable symbol for the Vancouver Canucks.

Yeah except your skipping over the most important point I made in that the current Branding by Vancouver has more to do with using retro ideas. Sure you're only talking about the Whale logo, but you can't argue that going to the past is a bad idea because of all the losing and then be okay with the color scheme. It's called contradiction.

I would say people identify more with the color scheme than the actual logo and that is my point. I'm not alone, a lot of people are split on the logo debate, but most people agree the color scheme is great. That's an important idea.

You're trying to define what success is and I'm telling you that in pro sports that winning championships is that entirely. My point about SCF runs is that from a different prespective, maybe Orca's time and their logo doesn't represent success. But my real objective was to show that to date we've had zero success because really it's all about winning the big prize.

But lets say you're right, is the really the logo? I would argue that it isn't the logo it's the overall scheme of the jerseys. The Orca doesn't represent anything great to me.

#100 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

"the whale" was and always will be hartford... though most of you on here might be too young to know that. i admit, i hate the frickin' orca with a burning passion (always have), but the main reason i believe we should change is that the orca only came into play because of the "orca bay sports" moniker, and that was a chapter in canucks history. this is a new chapter and there should be a change to represent that.

the fact is there are really only 2 types of logos/jerseys in the nhl, those that have essentially been untouched (perhaps modified or modernized) and those that have completely changed at least one time. once a team makes such a change, it's pretty much open season on the possibility of future changes. the canucks are most certainly in the 2nd category, so why not acknowledge this new era of the franchise with something of it's own? it's either that, or go back to the original (canucks, not millionaires) scheme with stick in rink... okay, that's totally my biased opinion, but hey! they're awesome!

in conclusion, i reiterate: i hate that f*@&ing orca... hate. it. (silver lining: at least our jerseys are navy and maroon anymore!)

Not entirely true. When Griffiths approached Quinn about a change Quinn said he'd only be on board with "yet another change" if the new logo was more of a representation of the city and/or province. Which the Orca and native art theme certainly do. And it was rather creative having it crashing out of the ice to form a C. I don't believe for a moment that Quinn actually went looking specifically for an Orca logo so it tied in with the parent company name. It was kind of a bonus for the company though.

Vancouver is famous worldwide for native art and whale watching. You don't have to hunt around the city to see plenty of evidence of this. Which is why the Orca is the best logo we've had regardless of the parent company at the time being named Orca Bay.
Posted Image

#101 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:55 AM

Posted Image

Is it Halloween already???

:shock:
Posted Image

#102 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

A whale is not a fish, it is a mammal.

Exactly B)

Posted Image

#103 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Not entirely true. When Griffiths approached Quinn about a change Quinn said he'd only be on board with "yet another change" if the new logo was more of a representation of the city and/or province. Which the Orca and native art theme certainly do. And it was rather creative having it crashing out of the ice to form a C. I don't believe for a moment that Quinn actually went looking specifically for an Orca logo so it tied in with the parent company name. It was kind of a bonus for the company though.

Vancouver is famous worldwide for native art and whale watching. You don't have to hunt around the city to see plenty of evidence of this. Which is why the Orca is the best logo we've had regardless of the parent company at the time being named Orca Bay.

Agree with this. Some of you boys need to get away from the internet for a while and explore the waters off Vancouver. Georgia Strait is full of these beautiful killer whales.
They are a great representation of our area.

#104 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Agree with this. Some of you boys need to get away from the internet for a while and explore the waters off Vancouver. Georgia Strait is full of these beautiful killer whales.
They are a great representation of our area.

The Orca logo was a corporate logo and the colour scheme was horrid. The company is long gone.

But at the same time.

The Orca logo represents the whales in the Pacific ocean just off the coast of BC and include the Aboriginal style of artwork from this area.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#105 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#106 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,509 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

god yes, they are tacky as hell.
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#107 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Post of the day! You sir, win a cookie!

Nice sig ;)
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#108 19eightyfour

19eightyfour

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

are we the vancouver "orcas"? does the organization have anything to do with native heritage? no. the insignia is terrible, and the (first) colours that came with it were even worse. did they only go looking for an orca? probably not, but i'd bet my left nut that even if there had been something better on the table, the owners/management chose the whale exactly because of the company correlation. and if you don't think so, you clearly know little about the corporate world. the native art is a gimmick to a company like this, it's not trying to pay homage or be representative of the aboriginal peoples, but the west coast granola yuppies eat it up like it's some sort of tribute to either a peoples or an animal that have little if anything to do with this hockey club and its history. besides, it's just plain ol' ugly and too obvious. it's not fun, unique or relevant (to the team). unless they change the name to vancouver "free willys" it really should go asap.

i'm not sh*t-talking nature and all the beauty we live amongst, but as someone whose entire family has lived on the west coast for several generations and as a canucks fan of nearly 30yrs, i don't feel it represents what this team and its history means to the city/province as it should (currently it's the other way around, and that seems rather pompous).

Edited by 19eightyfour, 10 August 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#109 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

More like sorry old men who want the stick in the rink back :lol:

I'm a 26 yr old woman(far from old, and far from a man) and still want the Stick in Rink back its Classic and great

#110 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

ummm... an Orca is actually a dolphin fyi...

#111 TheRocket18

TheRocket18

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

and keep it the same for now...
although a johnny canuck jersey would be cool as well.

#112 Rick 2.0

Rick 2.0

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

are we the vancouver "orcas"? does the organization have anything to do with native heritage? no. the insignia is terrible, and the (first) colours that came with it were even worse. did they only go looking for an orca? probably not, but i'd bet my left nut that even if there had been something better on the table, the owners/management chose the whale exactly because of the company correlation. and if you don't think so, you clearly know little about the corporate world. the native art is a gimmick to a company like this, it's not trying to pay homage or be representative of the aboriginal peoples, but the west coast granola yuppies eat it up like it's some sort of tribute to either a peoples or an animal that have little if anything to do with this hockey club and its history. besides, it's just plain ol' ugly and too obvious. it's not fun, unique or relevant (to the team). unless they change the name to vancouver "free willys" it really should go asap.

i'm not sh*t-talking nature and all the beauty we live amongst, but as someone whose entire family has lived on the west coast for several generations and as a canucks fan of nearly 30yrs, i don't feel it represents what this team and its history means to the city/province as it should (currently it's the other way around, and that seems rather pompous).

What the "team and its history" means is about as general and individual as it gets depending on who you ask, and if you ask non-residents and fans, you'll probably get this impression - they're not an original six franchise, they've never won the Stanley Cup, and any time they've gotten close, the city/province riots, cries foul, and calls for the heads of anyone associated with the team to roll. Aside from the charity work of specific individual players, the franchise represents 42 years of futility. That's basically their history. So unless you want to change the name to Vancouver Whiners with a logo of a crying baby who's never satisfied, you'll never accurately depict the general (and overly-exaggerated) essence of what the team is.

With the current colors/logo, the team has established itself as top contender in the NHL with two back-to-back President's Trophy wins, while players wearing the current jersey have broken franchise records and garnered league-wide recognition for their accomplishments both on and off the ice. The current logo, although established as a joint corporate logo with previous ownership, is far more representative of the city and region than a downhill skate or a lumberjack - its distinctively West Coast. The only oddity is the actual name "Canucks", which isn't changing any time soon and is slang for Canadian, and I'm pretty sure that name is attached to some other franchise.

In short, suck it up and get used to the modern franchise aesthetic. Its a better fit than anything used in the past. And unless you have a beneficial stake in franchise merchandise sales and want to gouge/sucker the fanbase some more, thirteen jersey/logo changes is enough. A reversion isn't needed either, nor is it wanted based on the current results of the poll (thank God for level-headed voters).
Posted Image
[Why 2.0? Because after 9 years, I lost my password and email... huzzah]

#113 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

So unless you want to change the name to Vancouver Whiners with a logo of a crying baby who's never satisfied, you'll never accurately depict the general (and overly-exaggerated) essence of what the team is.

lol.... :lol:

#114 E-ROD

E-ROD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I personally like the Orca, the grin gives it a nice pissed off look... :canucks:

#115 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

nooooooooooo
Go Canucks Go

#116 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

But I dont wanna change jerseys again-.-

Don't like change huh? How unfortunate.

And if you cannot buy a different jersey, might want to reconsider your career...

Posted Image

#117 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

The Millionaires concept is interesting, but it won't likely happen because the two teams were entirely different organizations. The Millionaires had nothing to do with the Canucks except that they were both in Vancouver.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#118 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Any evidence of this or merely an assumption?

The logo has to do with where the team plays. Nothing more.

Take a walk around town. Check out a few galleries. Check out local post cards. You'll find Orca's and native art all over Vancouver. Why is that?

I've gone through every incarnation of the uniform and logo. The current is the best the team has ever had. In case you hadn't noticed, the logo forms a C to represent Canucks just like the stick in rink. The difference is the Orca logo is very Vancouver while the stick in rink could just as easily be for Calgary, Columbus, Chicago, Carolina, or even Canadiens. Coyotes or Capitals. I've never understood the love for the stick in rink as it's both boring and indistinct. It could be a generic logo used for any team that has a C in it's name. I was happy as hell when they announced they were changing from the stinkin' rink until I saw the piss yellow Flying V monstrosity. And the only thing that made the Skate tolerable was when they finally switched from the piss yellow to a white jersey. And just a big "NO THANKS" to a cartoon character as a logo. Very minor league as far as I'm concerned. And unless it's a Hawaiian version in beaver cap and fur coat, it doesn't represent where the team plays. Yes, "Canuck" was the slang term used for Hawaiians and Frenchmen in the fur trade in the Pacific Northwest. It was in the east that the term was used in reference towards French in the lumber industry. It was also in the east that Johnny Canuck was created.

Personally, I think the best hockey logos around the league are the ones that represent where the team plays. The Orca certainly does that for Vancouver. From the moment they unveiled it I said they finally got it right. A simple C in a distinct west coast fashion.
Posted Image

#119 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

The Orca logo was a corporate logo and the colour scheme was horrid. The company is long gone.

But at the same time.

The Orca logo represents the whales in the Pacific ocean just off the coast of BC and include the Aboriginal style of artwork from this area.

Orca Bays logo was three different colored orcas forming an O.

And I just have to point out....EVERY teams logo is in fact a corporate logo. You'll find it on and in their building. On their letterhead. On their business cards. On their cheques. On everything they do business with. Sorry, but every teams logo is their corporate logo. This "corporate logo" crap was started by one of the Province hack writers to stir the pot and the sheeple just ate it up.
Posted Image

#120 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Blue represents alofness and sadness while green represents jealously and greed seems about right with this team.  Whereas as Red, Black and Yellow represent anger and power.  What do you want your hockey team to represent?

Blue and green has to go, along with the orca whale logo.  Time to get a better logo and color scheme.BTW 15 of last 17 cups have been won by a team with red or black as their primary colors.

Edited by Tokasmoka, 11 August 2012 - 09:42 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.