The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

six-0h-four-

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh god PLEASE ditch the whale. A Canuck is not a fish for gods sake! Our current primary logo is an utter piece of trash...a contrived symbol of the former owner of the team....good lord...is there a worse logo in the league? I doubt it.

My worst nightmare is we win the Cup wearing the whale and then we'll never get rid of it.

Go with the Stick and Rink...those S & R uniforms are up there with the best in the league...absolutely gorgeous colors and classic logo. Also historical...our first logo was the stick and rink. On par with the Red Wings, Habs, Bruins, Rangers...all the original 6 logos.

And for our secondary uniform...Johnny Canuck of course. Classic, represents BC history and was used in the 1960's by the Canucks.

We don't need to invent any more logos....we have 2 of the best already.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree and on so many levels. First of all we did go back to an 'old' design. The current colors and our secondary logo are retro you know, from previous years, so what are you even talking about? If memory serves there has been no time where we've won a championship either. Just because we've won 2 presidents in the last 2 seasons doesn't justify the whale logo.

Orca came in and destroyed the identity we had. I find it gross that you call the previous era 'pathetic' when Orca was the worst time period for the franchise. I recall going to the SCF's during 94 and we also went in 82, which is more than what Orca could say during it's ownership tenure.

Also if you're going to tie players names to identity of the franchise, Trevor Linden is by far the biggest hero this city ever had and he didn't wear the current jersey, neither did Bure and he's considered to be the biggest talent we ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current colors, just not a fan of the logo.

The current colour scheme is excellent and one of the best in the league so I wouldn't even think about changing that. The Canucks jersey turnover is a bit of a joke in the NHL (no offense intended) and it's time for some stability. There's nothing wrong with the whale and it's really become an identifiable symbol for the Canucks. The "stick in the rink" jersey is awesome, but I think it's best to leave it as something special (the 3rd jersey).

Logo and colour scheme are only part of what makes a jersey good, I believe that the team's current results and overall history have an impact too. The Canucks have had a great team over the past few years and that help contribute to how well the jersey looks.

The only jersey change I'd like to see is a league wide one - bring back the white jersey for home games and the dark jersey for road games. I know it won't happen because most of the 3rd jerseys are dark, but I still prefer white at home.

And no I'm not talking about Fin. Whales are indigenous to Vancouver, so a whale mascot is a good fit.

I'm talking about the jerseys. Some people love them, some people hate them. Others (like me) are in between. For the record, I love the color scheme. The blue and green symbolize Vancouver very well, and look nice to boot.

As many of you know, as of 2006, Francesco Aquilini obtained 100% of the Vancouver Canucks Organization from Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, so there is no official corporate tie nowadays to speak of.

Chalk me up for making the Blue/ Green stick the main jersey.

Leave it as it is but switch back to home is white and dark is away, I never understood why it changed...

People who want to change need to realize something. We've changed out jerseys more than the grizzlies have..... Maybe just leave things be for a while?

its so hard to get used to a new uniform

id prefer we stick with what we got now untill the team falls into a toronto like terribleness where the only good news could be a new jersey/ logo

honestly

all toronto bashing aside

(argonauts suck , blue jays suck , raptors sucks , leafs suck)

was at a lunch event with de Bonis. Talked about the logo and no it will not be changing.

For those without a business background...the orca is not just something on our jersey, it is a brand. He talked about how the Canucks brand was the strongest it has ever been and how it is recognizable on a global scale. No business rebrands their entire organization at this point. It is a poor strategic decision.

The orca is here to stay.

The Orca will be around as long as the current owner is in place, since Aqulini is the remaining owner of the Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. When the new owner is in place that's when you'll see a change of logo, uniforms etc because they aren't going to advertise for free by keeping the Orca on any product linking to the Canucks.

The Orca will be around as long as the current owner is in place, since Aqulini is the remaining owner of the Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment. When the new owner is in place that's when you'll see a change of logo, uniforms etc because they aren't going to advertise for free by keeping the Orca on any product linking to the Canucks.

Orca Bay is long gone.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=452518

Leave the jerseys alone! They're great the way they are. Mix it up with the older ones for 3rd jerseys all you like, but the main jersey needs to stay the same.

"the whale" was and always will be hartford... though most of you on here might be too young to know that. i admit, i hate the frickin' orca with a burning passion (always have), but the main reason i believe we should change is that the orca only came into play because of the "orca bay sports" moniker, and that was a chapter in canucks history. this is a new chapter and there should be a change to represent that.

the fact is there are really only 2 types of logos/jerseys in the nhl, those that have essentially been untouched (perhaps modified or modernized) and those that have completely changed at least one time. once a team makes such a change, it's pretty much open season on the possibility of future changes. the canucks are most certainly in the 2nd category, so why not acknowledge this new era of the franchise with something of it's own? it's either that, or go back to the original (canucks, not millionaires) scheme with stick in rink... okay, that's totally my biased opinion, but hey! they're awesome!

in conclusion, i reiterate: i hate that f*@&ing orca... hate. it. (silver lining: at least our jerseys are navy and maroon anymore!)

The colors need to go even more than the whale. That stale eco friendly blue-green combo is a turn off, and there are countless other blue jerseys in the league.

The stick in rink logo is the worst ever devised for any pro uniform. Nobody, not otherwise informed, sees a "C" in it. "Johnny Canuck" is the lone bright spot among current logos.

I agree with Don Taylor is that the "flying V" was the best uni the Nucks ever had. It was original and intimidating and the color scheme was regal. It can be brought back as was or with some minor polish, perhaps only adding Johnny Canuck and the whale (if you must) as shoulder or arm patches.

Behold, a jersey worthy of the likes of Kassian, Mallet, and all the other future bruisers MG is assembling:

canucks.jpg

I wasn't talking about jersey colours, I was talking about the whale. And like I said, just because it was brought in under bad circumstances and the wrong reasons, doesn't mean it hasn't gained meaning here in Vancouver.

Also, when referring to pathetic past teams, you automatically assume that I am talking about the few good seasons in the early 90s with Linden, Bure and co. That was the only other time in franchise history where the team was good enough to be considered good. Our improbable 82 run, was improbable and we were unable to actually find any success after that. When I say pathetic past teams, I am referring to all those years of losing. So don't point out the exception, as there still was another 20+ years of failure.

This team hasn't accomplished anything more? I would beg to differ, we've accomplished pretty much everything but the ultimate goal. But over the last decade we have become recognizable as a team, and we have players that represent us. From the Linden/ Bure years, the only real superstar we had was Bure (who was great), but after that it was mostly hometown heroes. Don't get me wrong, Linden was great for us, but not so great that the league remembers him as anything but another team leader.

And yes both Bure and Linden wore the orca on their jersey. This current colour scheme is not up for debate, it is the whale logo. Granted, for Bure it was during one of our franchise lows, but still he wore it. But again, the circumstances that it was brought in over a decade ago should not overshadow the fact that it has become a recognizable symbol for the Vancouver Canucks.

"the whale" was and always will be hartford... though most of you on here might be too young to know that. i admit, i hate the frickin' orca with a burning passion (always have), but the main reason i believe we should change is that the orca only came into play because of the "orca bay sports" moniker, and that was a chapter in canucks history. this is a new chapter and there should be a change to represent that.

the fact is there are really only 2 types of logos/jerseys in the nhl, those that have essentially been untouched (perhaps modified or modernized) and those that have completely changed at least one time. once a team makes such a change, it's pretty much open season on the possibility of future changes. the canucks are most certainly in the 2nd category, so why not acknowledge this new era of the franchise with something of it's own? it's either that, or go back to the original (canucks, not millionaires) scheme with stick in rink... okay, that's totally my biased opinion, but hey! they're awesome!

in conclusion, i reiterate: i hate that f*@&ing orca... hate. it. (silver lining: at least our jerseys are navy and maroon anymore!)

Archived