The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time to ditch the "Whale"?

six-0h-four-

266 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not entirely true. When Griffiths approached Quinn about a change Quinn said he'd only be on board with "yet another change" if the new logo was more of a representation of the city and/or province. Which the Orca and native art theme certainly do. And it was rather creative having it crashing out of the ice to form a C. I don't believe for a moment that Quinn actually went looking specifically for an Orca logo so it tied in with the parent company name. It was kind of a bonus for the company though.

Vancouver is famous worldwide for native art and whale watching. You don't have to hunt around the city to see plenty of evidence of this. Which is why the Orca is the best logo we've had regardless of the parent company at the time being named Orca Bay.

Not entirely true. When Griffiths approached Quinn about a change Quinn said he'd only be on board with "yet another change" if the new logo was more of a representation of the city and/or province. Which the Orca and native art theme certainly do. And it was rather creative having it crashing out of the ice to form a C. I don't believe for a moment that Quinn actually went looking specifically for an Orca logo so it tied in with the parent company name. It was kind of a bonus for the company though.

Vancouver is famous worldwide for native art and whale watching. You don't have to hunt around the city to see plenty of evidence of this. Which is why the Orca is the best logo we've had regardless of the parent company at the time being named Orca Bay.

are we the vancouver "orcas"? does the organization have anything to do with native heritage? no. the insignia is terrible, and the (first) colours that came with it were even worse. did they only go looking for an orca? probably not, but i'd bet my left nut that even if there had been something better on the table, the owners/management chose the whale exactly because of the company correlation. and if you don't think so, you clearly know little about the corporate world. the native art is a gimmick to a company like this, it's not trying to pay homage or be representative of the aboriginal peoples, but the west coast granola yuppies eat it up like it's some sort of tribute to either a peoples or an animal that have little if anything to do with this hockey club and its history. besides, it's just plain ol' ugly and too obvious. it's not fun, unique or relevant (to the team). unless they change the name to vancouver "free willys" it really should go asap.

i'm not sh*t-talking nature and all the beauty we live amongst, but as someone whose entire family has lived on the west coast for several generations and as a canucks fan of nearly 30yrs, i don't feel it represents what this team and its history means to the city/province as it should (currently it's the other way around, and that seems rather pompous).

The Millionaires concept is interesting, but it won't likely happen because the two teams were entirely different organizations. The Millionaires had nothing to do with the Canucks except that they were both in Vancouver.

are we the vancouver "orcas"? does the organization have anything to do with native heritage? no. the insignia is terrible, and the (first) colours that came with it were even worse. did they only go looking for an orca? probably not, but i'd bet my left nut that even if there had been something better on the table, the owners/management chose the whale exactly because of the company correlation. and if you don't think so, you clearly know little about the corporate world. the native art is a gimmick to a company like this, it's not trying to pay homage or be representative of the aboriginal peoples, but the west coast granola yuppies eat it up like it's some sort of tribute to either a peoples or an animal that have little if anything to do with this hockey club and its history. besides, it's just plain ol' ugly and too obvious. it's not fun, unique or relevant (to the team). unless they change the name to vancouver "free willys" it really should go asap.

i'm not sh*t-talking nature and all the beauty we live amongst, but as someone whose entire family has lived on the west coast for several generations and as a canucks fan of nearly 30yrs, i don't feel it represents what this team and its history means to the city/province as it should (currently it's the other way around, and that seems rather pompous).

The Orca logo was a corporate logo and the colour scheme was horrid. The company is long gone.

But at the same time.

The Orca logo represents the whales in the Pacific ocean just off the coast of BC and include the Aboriginal style of artwork from this area.

Blue represents alofness and sadness while green represents jealously and greed seems about right with this team.  Whereas as Red, Black and Yellow represent anger and power.  What do you want your hockey team to represent?

Blue and green has to go, along with the orca whale logo.  Time to get a better logo and color scheme.BTW 15 of last 17 cups have been won by a team with red or black as their primary colors.

Archived