The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Draft Position

babych

Worst draft position.  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, I'm officially bored and there's not much to talk about hockey-wise lately. I'm putting forth the question as to what draft position is the worst? I've narrowed it down to 2 positions: 14th and 29th. Here's why.

Drafting 14th overall means you were the best team to NOT make the playoffs. No playoffs = no playoff revenue and also no chance at the SC (obviously). So, the team is not quite good enough for the playoffs AND they don't get a shot at the real good blue-chip prospects.

Drafting 29th over means you lost in the SCF. There's no real difference in value between the 29th and 30th overall pick so the team picks late and doesn't have the swagger of being the SC Champs.

This stems from a conversation I had with some Flames fans lately as Calgary has had the 13th and 14th overall picks the past two years (granted they got Bartschi with the 13th and then traded the 14th) and we all know that Vancouver picked 29th in 2011.

Personally, I would go with the 14th overall position as the worst. In my mind, if a team doesn't make the playoffs then it's better to really tank and get a high pick (1 - 5). At least drafting 29th means that the team has made tons of playoff revenue.

I guess it would depend if you were a team on the rise, one that is at their peak, or one that has been languishing in the middle for years.

If you were on the rise and made the SCF out of the blue, getting the 29th pick would be no big deal. You probably have most of the pieces in place anyways. But if you are one that has been struggling and made a Cinderella run at the Cup, only to fall short, you may have been better off with the 14th pick.

Considering the draft is bit of a crap shoot for the most part, I would rather have playoff results than draft position.

On a side note, in the 2011 draft, where the Canucks picked 29th, they took Nicklas Jensen. Dallas selected Jamie Oleksiak with the 14th pick.

Well 14th is not much better than 29th, IMO. Somebody above made a note of us drafting Jensen 29th overall compared to Oleksiak 14th overall for Dallas, I think that illustrates how it can be a crapshoot at that point.

Much rather be a contender or a basement dweller than stuck in limbo.

Obviously this is assuming you haven't been trading picks around and what not.

28th.

You pick almost last and got nothing for it, atleast if you make the finals it is rewarding that way, and you are remembered as one of the best teams that year.

if you lost in the confrence finals you really didn't do anything more than a team that lost in the first or 2nd round and you get a crappier pick.

chose 28th just to change it up a bit.

Archived