Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Upcoming Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Pre-season, albeit it all starts on time is only just over a month away, and I for one am very excited to witness the upcoming season, as from the looks of it, it's going to be not only a huge one for our organization, but one that will be also both interesting and fun to watch.

Cory Schnieder:

It will be this man's first season as a starter, and after being well developed through the AHL and given big and crucial games to test him and give him the experience and confidence he needed to take his place as a starter in the NHL.

This will without a doubt be my #1 player to watch on our team, many say he will falter, and I don't quite see the reason why. Here's to hoping he proves many wrong and comes out as strong as he went out at the end of last season.

Zack Kassian:

For Kassian, last year couldn't have put more pressure on this kid to come here and do big things instantly after being dealt to the Canucks for what was our blue chip up and coming centre in Cody Hodgson. Although Kassian had spurts of great moments, there were also moments where he wasn't proving to be what many had expected out of him, and fell into AV's doghouse pretty quickly.

So this year, I'm sure many of us hope Kassian gets given a bigger role (atleast I do). We all saw when he was on the line with the Sedin twins that no one messed with them whatsoever, so he does have that intimidation that one Milan Lucic has, whom many have compared him to, he just has to find his fit this year with the team, and put his spurts of energy we saw to good use.

Ryan Kesler:

Unfortunately for Kesler, he has begun to build a reputation many of us and I'm sure he himself hopes to shred this season, "Diver". But through all that, the 2010-2011 Selke winner has much to prove after having back to back shoulder surgeries over the last two off-seasons.

After coming up far short of his 41 goals in 2010-11, his game fell dramatically in 2011-12. The reason I believe is because his play in the offensive zone has become very one-dimensional, much like Washington Capital's Alex Ovechkin's. Here's to hoping he can find that game he had once again, that "beast mode" that we all remembered back in the Nashville series, and that it won't be the only thing we remember him for when we mention his name.

Mason Raymond:

Not much needs to be said for Raymond, who has failed to impress from his 28 goal season back in 2009-10, and is continuously falling downhill from that marker. Pressure will be on the kid in his last season as an RFA before he is eligible for UFA, but who says he might even be here come the end of the season depending on how he performs.

Jason Garrison:

The B.C. native couldn't be happier to come to his hometown after signing what some have called a risky contract, and indeed it might be, but Garrison has improved each season in Florida that he has played, so with Edler the more than likely candidate to play with him, we can only expect just as big, and maybe better things to come from the so-called replacement for Sami Salo, even if Garrison was playing last season with a newly reborn Brian Campbell.

So these are going to be the five players I will be watching the most next season. The very idea of these players, playing for the Canucks gets me so riled up and excited for next season (even if it starts in December).

And yes, even Mason Raymond has me excited, because this is his make or break year in the NHL. :]

Thanks for reading (If you did), Only my second thread I've ever created, I tend to stay away from making topics :x

Edited by JustBelieve, 09 August 2012 - 06:52 PM.

EqIQphr.gif

St. Louis Blues STHS GM small.png

Colorado Avalanche EHL GM small.png

#2 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

What upcoming season??? I hope you're a basketball fan.

#3 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I see you read the title, that's a good start I guess. :)

EqIQphr.gif

#4 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Posted Image

#6 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for posting your interests/concerns for the up-coming season, and please try and ignore the "turds-that-troll" these boards .. they seldom have anything positive to say, but they do help keep the average I.Q. of this site below the Provincial norm ..

I, too am interested in the 5 players you are keen on, and would add Ballard and Malhotra to the discussion as well ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#7 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for posting your interests/concerns for the up-coming season, and please try and ignore the "turds-that-troll" these boards .. they seldom have anything positive to say, but they do help keep the average I.Q. of this site below the Provincial norm ..

I, too am interested in the 5 players you are keen on, and would add Ballard and Malhotra to the discussion as well ..

Thanks for your input, and yes, I've read alot on these forums so I do understand who won't really add more to the thread than that of what I've started.

I do agree as well, with Malholtra and Ballard, and may I say I would've liked to add Booth to that mix, for this season he is ready to have the chemistry he tried to build last year and put it to good use this year.

Personally I feel our whole team will be exciting this year, but I felt like just listing a few "Top Dogs".

Edited by JustBelieve, 09 August 2012 - 07:40 PM.

EqIQphr.gif

#8 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

I wonder what Garrison can bring to the table. It's a crying shame Kesler wont be back till december, wont get going for about a month, but will kick in around the stretch.

Posted Image

#9 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm interested to see what Schroeder can do this season. He hasn't really put up good numbers in the AHL, but who knows, he has the potential to show us the skill our 2nd line lacks and maybe he can produce with Booth and Kesler on his wing.

#10 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Pre-season, albeit it all starts on time is only just over a month away, and I for one am very excited to witness the upcoming season, as from the looks of it, it's going to be not only a huge one for our organization, but one that will be also both interesting and fun to watch.

Cory Schnieder:

It will be this man's first season as a starter, and after being well developed through the AHL and given big and crucial games to test him and give him the experience and confidence he needed to take his place as a starter in the NHL.

This will without a doubt be my #1 player to watch on our team, many say he will falter, and I don't quite see the reason why. Here's to hoping he proves many wrong and comes out as strong as he went out at the end of last season.

Because they're idiots making stupid predictions. Schneider had like what, 1-2 bad games last year? He had by far the best stats of any backup who played a significant amount of games in the NHL and played brilliantly against LA in the playoffs and other high pressure games. There's no reason to assume he's going to falter.

The people saying that on here are usually massive Luongo fan boys who want to be his boyfriend and are bitter he's probably leaving Vancouver. They'll say anything for a chance to say "hah I told you he'd fail!" later on this season to "prove" that we should have kept Luongo instead.

The fact is nobody has a crystal ball but given everything Schneider has shown, I'm excited to see him play as well and think he will do great. I like to cheer my team on and be optimistic, not make baseless predictions that certain players will fail for a chance to say "I told you so!" later on. :canucks:

As far as the other players you mention, I agree those will be the key guys to watch. I'm sure we're all hoping they'll do great. I'll wait and see with Garrison because I have bad memories of everyone pumping Ballard's tires when he came in from Florida and he didn't live up to his billing.

I actually do expect Raymond to have a bounce back year because this last contract made it pretty clear for him it's do or die, if he doesn't perform this season he'll be gone probably.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 09 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#11 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm interested to see what Schroeder can do this season. He hasn't really put up good numbers in the AHL, but who knows, he has the potential to show us the skill our 2nd line lacks and maybe he can produce with Booth and Kesler on his wing.

agreed.
and good read, op. i think you hit the nail on the head as far as who canucks fans will be paying the most attention to.... should there be an upcoming season....
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#12 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,270 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

If there is an NHL season and not a lockout, I would also look forward to see Schneider play as a starter and see if he can still play while the pressure is on him in Vancity. But what I really think we need is a solid back-up goalie, that way Schneider doesn't have to play around 75+ games with all fatigue in his first year as a starter. But I really have a feeling he will have a great 2 months at the start of the season. :)

307mg00.jpg

#13 kesler is the king

kesler is the king

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for your input, and yes, I've read alot on these forums so I do understand who won't really add more to the thread than that of what I've started.

I do agree as well, with Malholtra and Ballard, and may I say I would've liked to add Booth to that mix, for this season he is ready to have the chemistry he tried to build last year and put it to good use this year.

Personally I feel our whole team will be exciting this year, but I felt like just listing a few "Top Dogs".

I would like to weigh in here lol I think another player to watch, and that we will be seeing more often this season, is Chris Tanev. I am a big fan of his and I really think that he will be given more chances to play. Also, with Ballard being healthy, I think they will be our bottom pairing more often than not. Hopefully any ways...not a big Alberts fan. So ya, I am watching to see more Tanev as well. But I totally agree with you on your original post. If Kes can come back to his form from two years ago, we will be flying. And if Schnieds can continue to play as dominantly as he did last season in a starter position, I think our chances for a cup this season are looking really good! Now all we have to do is hash out this Luongo trade and we are good to go! :)

#14 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the good read.
I would also add Lapierre, Ballard and Malhotra to the list.
Lapierre will get a chance to move up if we don't sign Arnott. Lapierre has shown that he can play a bigger role than a 4th line centre.
I also want to see if the Sedins up their play this year. They have shown that they can be 100 pt players so I hope that they can rebound this season.
Malhotra should be back at centre even if he is only on the 4th line. It would be great if he could steal his 3rd line centre spot back.
I think that Ballard will be traded if Garrison is that #4 dman who can play with Edler. The knock on Ballard is his contract size which is too high for a 3rd pairing dman.
I hope that there is not a lockout again this year. If there is, I hope Bettman loses his job (hmmmm actually I hope loses his job no matter what happens).
I am really excited to see Schneider as a starter and don't see the rush to aquire a backup. We have the best backup in the game until Luongo is traded. If Luo starts the season in a backup role, there is going to be huge pressure on Schneider to get it done because he knows that Luo just might take #1 back. Schneider will have to learn to handle the pressure early which will make him even better when the playoffs arrive.

Edited by bluesman60, 10 August 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#15 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,843 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Insert internet meme or animated gif here.

comeundone.gif

#16 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

GOOD POST
the most exciting thing for the canucks this upcoming season is the goalie situation.
- will we trade for a top nhl player that can help us win now
- will we get prospects for the future
- will luuuu out play cory and keep his job
- will cory outplay lu
- will MG decide to keep em both and play them as a tandem

#17 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Mason Raymond:

Not much needs to be said for Raymond, who has failed to impress from his 28 goal season back in 2009-10, and is continuously falling downhill from that marker.

:bigblush:

#18 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

I find that if I canna be optimistic about the players and Team as a whole, then I am wasting my precious time following this team .. it is a good thing to look forward to this season with hope .. I am excited about our team going forward .. other than the Messier era, I have always awaited the seasons start filled with optimism .. we should be thankful for the last few seasons, and all the success we have had, despite no Cup as yet .. to paraphrase an old axiom .. for something to have true worth, one must be strive for it .. :canucks:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#19 krazysl

krazysl

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

jenson should be on the list as well, this kid looks to be ready for a solid try on the roster

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.