The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do investigations show up on your criminal record?

hsedin33

Actually, I heard that they DO keep records, despite the outcry of the public regarding privacy.

A search through a database CAN link you to stuff like questioning and stuff like that which CAN bar you from potential jobs. It was actually on the news not too long ago but don't have the link though I searched via Google.

Someone back me up here?

What is provided in your Criminal Record Check service?

myBackCheck.com conducts criminal record checks based on the Name and Date of Birth of an applicant. These searches may provide an indication of the existence of criminal convictions, for which a pardon has not been granted, within the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records. Any information discovered will be as the record exists on the date of search.

Actually, I heard that they DO keep records, despite the outcry of the public regarding privacy.

A search through a database CAN link you to stuff like questioning and stuff like that which CAN bar you from potential jobs. It was actually on the news not too long ago but don't have the link though I searched via Google.

Someone back me up here?

I remember I once worked for WashWorld and we were robbed overnight. The next morning I called the police and they questioned me about it and nothing came of it. They never caught the guy and we never got our money back.

About 6 months later, I was pulled over for having my front windows tinted and after asking for my driver's license, the cop asked, "So you work at WashWorld, huh? You get free car washes?" He was just making small talk but that meant it was on the database. Who knows what else they add?

I have worked for a few large Canadian companies in the HR department and we never checked or saw any info about incidents of just talking to the police. All we can see is if they have ever been convicted. We couldn't even see if the person was acquitted of a charge.

So I suspect only high risk or goverment jobs would really check that far into you personal records.

I called the RCMP NON-EMERGENCY LINE twice to report a car alarm. The first time was to report it. The second time was to thank the officer who apparently got it to stop because it was previously ringing for 10-15 mins very very late at night (~3 am).

I bet they recorded that too. I wonder how that affects my job success rate.

I have worked for a few large Canadian companies in the HR department and we never checked or saw any info about incidents of just talking to the police. All we can see is if they have ever been convicted. We couldn't even see if the person was acquitted of a charge.

So I suspect only high risk or goverment jobs would really check that far into you personal records.

I've got a question related to this. What about crimes committed as a minor? I was told by a police officer once that I was "under arrest" when I was, I think, 16. This was for a graffiti related thing, but she never actually cuffed me, took me anywhere, or any of that stuff? All she said was that I was under arrest, and to go home? It was really weird. She showed up later (just entered the house, no knocking or anything), took my paint, and then later I had to go clean up some walls, that's about it?

The whole thing was confusing to me at the time, but it's STILL confusing

Does stuff like that just leave my record, since I was a kid? Or ... ?

I received an email from a CDC poster asking if I could comment upon this specific subject. I seldom post here any longer due to the number of pre-pubescent morons that are allowed to run wild.

The answer to the question posed "Do investigations show up on your criminal record?" is Yes, most likely they do as Satan's Evil Twin and Dazzle have noted.

You can check the databases for your records. The BC Civil Liberties Association has a guide:

http://rzq2gh.cluste...nts/privacy7-13

There are two major police records databases that exist in BC (and individual police departments may have records as well).

Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) - this is a Canada wide system which is operated by the RCMP under the stewardship of National Police Services, on behalf of the Canadian law enforcement community. When other agencies are granted access to the CPIC system they agree to comply with the policies and procedures on the use of the system. These polices and procedures are governed by federal legislation, ministerial directives, and federal government policies. The RCMP periodically audits police services and federal agencies to ensure that they adhere to the policies and procedures. CPIC is quite tightly controlled and monitored and there are specific guidelines for data entry on individuals. There are some ongoing issues with CPIC criminal records checks they can be monitored and addressed because of the governing legislation, policy and guidelines.

http://www.cpic-cipc...glish/crfaq.cfm

PRIME-BC - The real issue is with a made in BC database that has grown by leaps and bounds in the last ten years with little in the way of oversight with no real policy or guidelines on data entry. This database is the Police Records Information Management Environment (PRIME-BC). PRIME-BC is an initiative, sponsored by the Ministry of the Solicitor General, in the Province of British Columbia, legislating all police forces to use the same occurrence records management system. The RCMP “E” Division (British Columbia) has partnered with other municipal police agencies and the B.C. provincial government in the acquisition of a common information system.

Employers in both the public and private sector have been able to access PRIME-BC for criminal record checks and the problem is that an individual's name may appear with no criminal charges, convictions or even a criminal investigation. The BC Civil Liberties Association has expressed concerns and there have been newspaper reports of negative impacts on people.

Here is what the BCCLA had to say on this on March 22, 2011:

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association has discovered that as many as 85% of British Columbia‟s adult population have “master name records” in the PRIME-BC police database. This database is used by police to prepare criminal record checks, including the controversial “negative police contact” section of those checks that can restrict access to jobs or volunteer opportunities. The BCCLA has written the Solicitor General to ask her to investigate.

“With more than eight out of every ten B.C. adults in this database, we‟re wondering if people know what the police are writing about them,” said Robert Holmes, Q.C., President of the BCCLA. “These notes by police officers can prevent people from getting jobs, schooling and training, and it is difficult if not impossible to remove or alter incorrect information.”

The most recent annual report for PRIMECorp, the crown corporation that administers the database, indicates that the database has 4,452,165 master name records, and B.C.‟s entire population as of October 1, 2010 older than 15 years of age, was estimated by BC Stats to be 3,844,531. Even if as many as a quarter of master name records are duplicates due to aliases, misspellings or out-of-province residence, 86% of the adult population of B.C. would still be recorded in the database.

While PRIME-BC was introduced in the Legislature as a way to better combat serial killers, sexual offenders, and career criminals, it would seem that minor traffic violations are enough to land B.C. residents in the police database, indefinitely. There is little in the way of protocol guiding how entries are made, how long information is kept, and the BCCLA frequently receives complaints about incorrect information being impossible to alter.

“What is disturbing is that some information is being recorded as „negative contact‟,” said Holmes. “Employers assume that if you have „negative contact‟, you have done something wrong, but it‟s just as likely that you insisted on your basic rights or that the information is incorrect. This is not some kind of philosophical objection, this misinformation is wrongfully keeping people from economic opportunities.”

Every incident you have with a police officer where your name is required is recorded and a database kept.

9-11 calls, interactions on the side of the road after being pulled over, as a witness, etc.....all of it.

If you were part of a police investigation, then yes, nowadays, and for the last 12+ years, that I know, if your name was entered somewhere by police personnel, there's a record of it on one of a couple of databases locally, that are accessible nationally.

If you have a lot of contact with the police, and don't volunteer with them or have worked directly or indirectly with them, then employers may take notice and question you. Same thing with infractions you accumulate at border crossings. Those records are available as well.

Think of it as a law enforcement facebook account you didn't know you had...but your 'wall posts' show your history nevertheless.

Archived