Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hsedin33

Do investigations show up on your criminal record?

53 posts in this topic

A long time ago I was investigated for a crime, the police called me in for questioning but nothing came of it, no charges filed, nothing further happened. Does this go on my permanent record? Thanks.

Actually, I heard that they DO keep records, despite the outcry of the public regarding privacy.

A search through a database CAN link you to stuff like questioning and stuff like that which CAN bar you from potential jobs. It was actually on the news not too long ago but don't have the link though I searched via Google.

Someone back me up here?

What is provided in your Criminal Record Check service?

myBackCheck.com conducts criminal record checks based on the Name and Date of Birth of an applicant. These searches may provide an indication of the existence of criminal convictions, for which a pardon has not been granted, within the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records. Any information discovered will be as the record exists on the date of search.

Actually, I heard that they DO keep records, despite the outcry of the public regarding privacy.

A search through a database CAN link you to stuff like questioning and stuff like that which CAN bar you from potential jobs. It was actually on the news not too long ago but don't have the link though I searched via Google.

Someone back me up here?

I remember I once worked for WashWorld and we were robbed overnight. The next morning I called the police and they questioned me about it and nothing came of it. They never caught the guy and we never got our money back.

About 6 months later, I was pulled over for having my front windows tinted and after asking for my driver's license, the cop asked, "So you work at WashWorld, huh? You get free car washes?" He was just making small talk but that meant it was on the database. Who knows what else they add?

The answer is no unless it is an active criminal investigation in which you are a suspect.

I would say yes and no.

There's a difference between having a record of being investigated, so there would be notes on file from the investigation. But when they look up your information they would also see you've never been charged with anything.

I have worked for a few large Canadian companies in the HR department and we never checked or saw any info about incidents of just talking to the police. All we can see is if they have ever been convicted. We couldn't even see if the person was acquitted of a charge.

So I suspect only high risk or goverment jobs would really check that far into you personal records.

I called the RCMP NON-EMERGENCY LINE twice to report a car alarm. The first time was to report it. The second time was to thank the officer who apparently got it to stop because it was previously ringing for 10-15 mins very very late at night (~3 am).

I bet they recorded that too. I wonder how that affects my job success rate.

I have worked for a few large Canadian companies in the HR department and we never checked or saw any info about incidents of just talking to the police. All we can see is if they have ever been convicted. We couldn't even see if the person was acquitted of a charge.

So I suspect only high risk or goverment jobs would really check that far into you personal records.

I've got a question related to this. What about crimes committed as a minor? I was told by a police officer once that I was "under arrest" when I was, I think, 16. This was for a graffiti related thing, but she never actually cuffed me, took me anywhere, or any of that stuff? All she said was that I was under arrest, and to go home? It was really weird. She showed up later (just entered the house, no knocking or anything), took my paint, and then later I had to go clean up some walls, that's about it?

The whole thing was confusing to me at the time, but it's STILL confusing

Does stuff like that just leave my record, since I was a kid? Or ... ?

Thanks for the drop-by wetcoaster.

Sucks that you don't come around more often.

Every incident you have with a police officer where your name is required is recorded and a database kept.

9-11 calls, interactions on the side of the road after being pulled over, as a witness, etc.....all of it.

If you were part of a police investigation, then yes, nowadays, and for the last 12+ years, that I know, if your name was entered somewhere by police personnel, there's a record of it on one of a couple of databases locally, that are accessible nationally.

If you have a lot of contact with the police, and don't volunteer with them or have worked directly or indirectly with them, then employers may take notice and question you. Same thing with infractions you accumulate at border crossings. Those records are available as well.

Think of it as a law enforcement facebook account you didn't know you had...but your 'wall posts' show your history nevertheless.

Government doesn't presume you innocent till proven guilty anymore?

Excellent posts and info Wet.....as always.

Semantics time.........

is it actually a criminal record if you haven't committed a crime?