The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I've been doing a research paper and talked to Doctors, and Personal Trainers.. but

yawn.3x

I'm really confused about the morning aspect of working out.

Some Personal Trainers have told me for wight loss, going to the gym first thing in the morning, no food at all and working out is better for you then eating something, waiting 30 mins then going to the gym

Other Personal Trainers disagree, and say "No you should always eat something in the morning before you work out; gets your metabolism running for the whole day"

Same with Doctors. Some say don't eat, and some say eat, I don't know what to put on my research paper =(.

has anybody tried either one of the scenario's or has evidence or any type of fact of which one works? Obviously the body is different to each individual and different experiments work better/worse for different people, but as an average rule of thumb, which would be the best method?

For someone who works out now everyday...here is my opinion. I honestly think its more personal preference. I find in some mornings I need to eat something and then workout. Other mornings I will have the energy to just go. Sometimes I prefer to wait till the evening to workout. I don't know if there is a right or wrong way more of what works for you, do that.

wait, you ask Doctor's and Personal Trainer.

Now you come on CDC to settle the debate? And make up your mind? Your really desperate.

Unless, your thinking process is "whatever the majority of CDC says, the opposite must be the answer"

lol sorry man, just joking around.

I would always try and eat something before working out, especially in the morning just so your body has some energy and it's not taking away from your muscle mass either. Even if I'm not hungry I'll eat a scoop of peanut butter and have a glass of milk or something.

I'm really confused about the morning aspect of working out.

Some Personal Trainers have told me for wight loss, going to the gym first thing in the morning, no food at all and working out is better for you then eating something, waiting 30 mins then going to the gym

Other Personal Trainers disagree, and say "No you should always eat something in the morning before you work out; gets your metabolism running for the whole day"

Same with Doctors. Some say don't eat, and some say eat, I don't know what to put on my research paper =(.

has anybody tried either one of the scenario's or has evidence or any type of fact of which one works? Obviously the body is different to each individual and different experiments work better/worse for different people, but as an average rule of thumb, which would be the best method?

Have a snack or something 30-60 minutes before a workout - always better to give your body food before doing a workout and not having to worry about being hungry than being hungry during the workout.

***Also, key point for the food you have prior to a workout***:

Make sure the food you have isn't a big meal or a small unhealthy snack....make sure whatever it is, that it will give you SUSTAINED ENERGY during your workout/exercise; it will give you that extra push when you feel like quitting and that's what usually builds you the most - the time you keeping moving when you want to call it quits. Ask you doctor about foods with sustained energy, it is a very important piece or training that not many people even know about - a simple thing like a protein bar is good to have half an hour before you train but ask your doctor so you can have more options to choose from.

wait, you ask Doctor's and Personal Trainer.

Now you come on CDC to settle the debate? And make up your mind? Your really desperate.

Unless, your thinking process is "whatever the majority of CDC says, the opposite must be the answer"

lol sorry man, just joking around.

Same here.

Get up, fuel up, and work out in the mornings. It'll give you more energy throughout the day and you'll burn more calories throughout the day too. One thing i've been told by a friend who owns a gym and has been working out since his teens(he's in his 40's now), is too consume some carbs(oatmeal + fruits/berries) pre-workout and protein(egg-whites, protein shake) post-workout, as soon as possible.

Same here.

Get up, fuel up, and work out in the mornings. It'll give you more energy throughout the day and you'll burn more calories throughout the day too. One thing i've been told by a friend who owns a gym and has been working out since his teens(he's in his 40's now), is too consume some carbs(oatmeal + fruits/berries) pre-workout and protein(egg-whites, protein shake) post-workout, as soon as possible.

I've heard REALLY similar stories as well. Oatmeal is apparently AMAZING to wake up too (minus the sugar, and other added sweets) and then add a yogurt, and bam your metabolism is running all day. I'm going to use your post (with minor alterations in my report :P) if that is OK with you lol. Copyright and all.

They dont say breakfast is the most important meal of the day for nothing. Whether you are working out or not, eating within 30 mins of waking up is better for your metabolism because then you won't eat too much (eventually ganing weight) later. That is why there are 3 meals a day, to moderate your eating. Breakfast obviously being the most important because it begins your day.

Archived