The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I've been doing a research paper and talked to Doctors, and Personal Trainers.. but

yawn.3x

A report from the European Journal of Physiology found that fasted training can be very beneficial for anabolic muscle response.

http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w8712615714k8150/

Speaking from experience (I used to weigh almost 300lbs), doing strictly cardio on an empty stomach and then eating a healthy, sensible meal after can also be great for weight-loss. Right after waking up, your blood sugar is low and therefore our body will be inclined to burn excess fat. But if you plan on doing cardio on an empty stomach then it is critical to eat something right after otherwise you may lose muscle mass along with fat.

But most importantly you need to listen to your body. If you feel weak and no energy on an empty stomach then you should at least eat something light before working out as otherwise you may do more harm than good (everyone is different).

Oats are excellent nutritiously speaking and light (provided you don't consumer heaps of it), but just be sure to stay away from the instant stuff in individual packets. The most nutritious are steel-cut.

For me personally, I've found that I can just have a small snack (a banana, garnola bar, etc.) and that's what works best for me if I'm working out first thing in the morning.

I feel nauseous if I don't get something in me but I can't eat an entire meal or else I feel like I'm carrying around a baby in my stomach as I run because I can feel the food sloshing around. I need at least a good 2-3 hours of no food before I workout.

If there's so many varying opinions, try to figure out what works best for you and go with that!

Archived