The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Killings in Burma

Super19

So speaking out against certain things about Islam and Islamists makes me a islamophobe?? How about a hate-monger? Or a zionist? Yeah, i'm probably a Muslim hating Zionist, right?

What a goof.

And yeah, it is a cheap attempt at victim-hood. I see the raising of funds in Pakistan through the selling of ginned up religious sensationalism as just that; an attempt to play the victim. The outcome is outrage and ultimately money.

I thought an expert conspiracy nutjob such as yourself would have easily connected those obvious dots. Oh, but you're a muslim, so you can't see or say anything against anything muslim, including disingenuous reports from 'unofficial sources', when they're presented.

Do you have something against the Christian Science Monitor's ability to reprint news and link to other news sources? Did you take a look at where they received their information from??

And who was the source of the information?? Oh, none other than Faraz Ahmed, of the the Pakistani newspaper, 'The Express Tribune'. Mr Ahmed, was reporting on facts that he went to Myanmar(Burma) to find out for himself, instead of sitting in Pakistan fanning flames of ignorance.

http://blogs.tribune...slim-cleansing/

And he goes on to rightly state:

Oh, but he must be an islamophobe, just like me, right!? :rolleyes:

I think you should look at your own ego and ideology before pointing to mine, not to mention your own bias and ignorance toward everything and anything that speaks out against your religion. By the way, did you read what was reported to have started this all?

So, they don't burn women with acid in Pakistan, or limit human rights for women in Saudi Arabia, or treat the non-religious/Atheist poorly in Indonesia??

The fact that you call it 'tripe' means a) you can't come up with your own words and like to parrot mine, which makes sense since you servilely parrot whatever your religion orders you to; or, b ) you're willfully being ignorant or obtuse about the examples I put forth in the statement; or, c) you honestly don't really know what you're talking about.

Only talking about your first sentence... instead of condemning the Burmese and majority Buddhists racism towards the minorities, or even showing sympathy sincerely to those persecuted you are doing what you love to do - hate on religion and specifically the Abrahmic Ones. Your blinded hate on religion is now proven to be disgusting.

The Economist has also done a piece on this.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2012/08/myanmars-persecuted-rohingyas?

And yes, shame on some the Arab leaders who are oppressing their people and not doing a good job protecting their fellow muslims. And to the pakistanis as well.. it is all a joke and beyond pathetic. See post#2 for a success story though with the wife of Turkey's PM.

So did you feel and express the same outrage about Christians getting attacked by Muslims in a similar manner in places like Nigeria, Sudan, Egypt and Indonesia?

What are your thoughts on sharia law being imposed upon the population in Muslim majority countries, even to non-Muslims, and the persecution and/or execution of apostates within those countries? If it's none of our business how they run their countries and what they do within them, can't the same be said for foreign non-Islamic countries?

Being that I personally know people who were born and grew up in Nigeria, Sudan, Egypt and still have lots of family there as well as me personally having family in Indonesia, I could educate you on the reality (just as they have educated me) but you must first be willing to rid yourself of your ignorant mass media mentality that has shaped your tiny little world and led to your shameful approach here.

My outrage is not simply because 'Muslims are getting attacked', it is more at the hypocrisy displayed by individuals (and nations) who claim to be 'humanist'. I would of course be just as sad and demand justice if any minority group is systematically attacked and massacred just as I was when the world watched while Hutus were being massacred by Tutsis in Rwanda (which has nothing to do with Muslims, Christians or Buddhists or religion at all for that matter).

But to compare this situation here with Nigeria or Sudan or Egypt would be extremely ignorant and simply void of any realization of worldly affairs. For the record, the vast majority of attacks in Nigeria are caused by the 'Buku Haram' group and they kill Muslims and attack Mosques as well.

And further for your information, Islam strictly prohibits the attacking of churches and shedding innocent blood and perpetrators of such are to be put to death, plain and simple. The Islamic stance on this (which is my stance) has been declared loudly by prominent clerics in Nigeria (and around the world) yet fallen on deaf ears (such as yours), for example:

Nigerian Muslims Condemn Boko Haram; Sheik Gumi Preaches: “the suicide bombers will not see God”

http://newsrescue.co.../#axzz23KeikBnu

Fatwa On ‘Boko Haram’ Suicide Bombing And Other Terrorist Activities In Nigeria

http://saharareporte...ivities-nigeria

In fact, within these types of discussions (which always turn into religion-bashing discussions by the usual suspects as opposed to discussions focused on the injustices and oppression, just like this one has turned out to be) myself and others have on numerous occasions stated that killing innocent people, oppression, persecution, terrorism and suicide bombings etc. are all forbidden in Islam. Perhaps you are simply blaming me for your ignorance, which is fine..

Shari'ah law being imposed on non-Muslims within countries that implement Shari'ah law is no different than Canadian law being implemented on non-Canadians in Canada. People need to abide by the laws of the places they visit or reside, plain and simple. Frankly, there is no nation today that properly or justly applies the Shari'ah anyways. Furthermore, if a Muslim or a group of Muslims were guilty of a crime in Burma then by all means they would fittingly deserve punishment after trial within that land according to the laws of that land...perhaps you could enlighten us as to what crime the Rohingyas have committed here?

And again, so-called 'peace-loving, humanist and humanitarian' nations have made it their business on what happens in other countries but it would seem that you are more than ready to deny this reality and turn a blind eye. Perhaps because this is what the mass media and governments around the world have done.

And finally for the record, I am extremely equally disgusted with the governments of Muslim nations in general with regard to this issue for their indifference and general refusal to help, but unlike you I'm not going to turn a blind eye and ignorantly bring up completely unrelated and incomparable events in other regions of the world.

And perhaps to further alleviate my confusion you can tell me what Nigeria, Sudan, Egypt and Indonesia have to do with Burma?

Or is it that your ridiculous insinuations and assumptions about me personally have led you to complete indifference and carelessness regarding the situation in Burma? What a disgraceful shame that would be.

I don't believe anyone has stated that these attacks are reflective of Buddhism as a whole and I am certain many Buddhists are/would strongly denounce the violence, just as many Muslims denounce such violence (even though it tends to fall on deaf and ignorant ears).

Again, perhaps you could help provide assuage to my confusion with regard to how Nigeria and Egypt are even remotely related to this (see above for further elaboration)?

Again, is it that your ridiculous insinuations and assumptions about me (and now seemingly S19) personally have led you to complete indifference and carelessness regarding the situation in Burma? What a disgraceful shame that would be.

It is like us jumping off a diving board into a pool and then your completely false perception leading you to jump off a bridge into the sea (please do not do so).

You nonsensically cry foul yet engage in the same manner you accuse others of! Are you really so weak-minded and ignorant that your completely erroneous and false perceptions of two individuals on a discussion forum could lead you to arrive at such approaches and conclusions when it comes to the severe persecution and slaughtering of a given group in a given region of the world?

Wow!

That's the one fundamental problem with religion. Even though most movements preach tolerance of others, it seems like being tolerant of other religions is something still unattainable.

In an age where machines are being flown to and landing on other planets. We still have humans killing each other over beliefs. At the end of the day thinking or believing in anything is ultimately meaningless. It's accomplishments based on those thoughts and beliefs that have true meaning.

What has any religion really accomplished? One end of the spectrum has the most generous and kind people. The other, blood thirsty Neanderthals who would brutalize you and your family. Is the one really worth the other? Why can't people just hold those initial qualities regardless. I often imagine the world without religion. Is religion not the root cause of many wars? Take all the worlds resources put towards fighting and apply it to space exploration. How much further ahead would we be. It's extremely disapointing to think about.

And to think that as a species we regard ourselves as intelligent. Not much more than most animals in my opinion. Anyway back to the mars rover thread I go...

Done a bit more research on the issue, and this is the best I can come up with in terms of what's going on.

During the colonial period and into now a group of muslims from Bangladesh has entered Burma in large numbers. Burma has agreed to grant citizenship to everyone who entered the country before it was established, in 1948, and their descendants. All other Rohingya are considered illegal immigrants and denied citizenship, and, therefore, basic rights. The kicker is the Bangladeshi, who are fellow muslims, now refuse to take these people back.

Meanwhile, the Burmese government is an ethnically nationalistic one. It discriminates against not only the Rohingya but also Chinese, Mon, and other Indians.

This latest round of violence broke out when a Rahkine woman was raped by several Rohingya men. The Rahkine attacked random muslims and riots ensued. Estimates for casualties range from 24-100. Rahkine Buddhists are also among the dead, as muslim Rohingya have responded with their own violence, however, they have less access to resources in general, and are more on the receiving end of this one.

Is this persecution of muslims? I'd say yes. However, you have to remember that these kind of religion inspired riots are common in this part of the world. Also, the riots in this case also have a strong ethnic element. Muslims in Burma are almost exclusively of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi ethnic minorities. Burma, as previously stated, has gone out of it's way to establish an ethnically Burmese country and denied basic rights to ethnic minorities.

There's definitely something fishy giong on with the reporting of this story too. For instance the wikipedia page has been changed to read:

Since June 2012, 20,000[citation needed] muslims have been killed in sectarian violence in the state.

I smell b.s. Because of the ever improving image of the country, they are trying to pin this blame onto the bhuddists. B.S. Bhuddist fate is never about killing. It's done by the government, wanting to blame the Bhuddists, because if they are caught doing this, sanctions will be put on them again.

I have Canadian friends who lived in Burma. Beautiful place, but corrupt as anything.

Whatever is happening to Muslims in Burma pales in comparison to what Islamic governments in Sudan and Syria have been up to lately. But I wouldn't expect much attention to be drawn to that at pakobserver.net.

I smell b.s. Because of the ever improving image of the country, they are trying to pin this blame onto the bhuddists. B.S. Bhuddist fate is never about killing. It's done by the government, wanting to blame the Bhuddists, because if they are caught doing this, sanctions will be put on them again.

In one of the brothers mosques I know , they raised 80,000+lbs in a charity dinner towards Burma and Syria one of these past nights in Ramadaan. There is a collective effort being done on behalf of the Ummah.

Our so called "leaders" (not) are not doing a good job, including the ones in Bangledesh which is a joke. And not to mention the other leaders who are oppressing their own people (ie Syria)

I have Canadian friends who lived in Burma. Beautiful place, but corrupt as anything.

Whatever is happening to Muslims in Burma pales in comparison to what Islamic governments in Sudan and Syria have been up to lately. But I wouldn't expect much attention to be drawn to that at pakobserver.net.

In one of the brothers mosques I know , they raised 80,000+lbs in a charity dinner towards Burma and Syria one of these past nights in Ramadaan. There is a collective effort being done on behalf of the Ummah.

Our so called "leaders" (not) are not doing a good job, including the ones in Bangledesh which is a joke. And not to mention the other leaders who are oppressing their own people (ie Syria)

Archived