The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Killings in Burma

Super19

Its reported as such because its lazy, some dont bother to dig into the history.

Its easy to sell the idea as "Muslims Killed" as opposed to

"Deep seated long standing racism towards darker skinned people in SE Asia rears it ugly head against people of disputed origin who no one claims as their own but are living in a country who has used racial tensions to divide one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world that has recently emerged from years as an pariah state etc etc etc"

And yes some in the muslim community would like to turn this into muslims vs ???.

Its reported as such because its lazy, some dont bother to dig into the history.

Its easy to sell the idea as "Muslims Killed" as opposed to

"Deep seated long standing racism towards darker skinned people in SE Asia rears it ugly head against people of disputed origin who no one claims as their own but are living in a country who has used racial tensions to divide one of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world that has recently emerged from years as an pariah state etc etc etc"

And yes some in the muslim community would like to turn this into muslims vs ???.

I applaud the effort, but why aren't muslims such as yourself putting pressure on islamic gov't with your protests and words of indignation, since they're the ones who will be able to do anything meaningful. 80k lbs of food is great, but how do they plan on getting any of that into Burma?

Very Informative lecture so far already discussing many points discussed in this thread.

I haven't seen this entire video, but Sharpie (+Lonny and others) direct your attention to the first 5 minutes or at least 4:50, kudos. The speaker said it very well.

I watched it. I agree with him, or he does with me, that this isn't an issue of Buddhism vs.Islam.

I also couldn't help but notice his hypocrisy is suggesting that Muslims stand up for those being oppressed, wherever they may be and give justice to humanity when the truth is that Islamic states oppress segments of their own populations and mete out oppressive justice to women while suppressing their fundamental human rights of equality and freedom.

Again, i recognize what this man is saying, and I'd agree with him on some levels....on other levels, he's clearly tone-deaf.

I watched it. I agree with him, or he does with me, that this isn't an issue of Buddhism vs.Islam.

I also couldn't help but notice his hypocrisy is suggesting that Muslims stand up for those being oppressed, wherever they may be and give justice to humanity when the truth is that Islamic states oppress segments of their own populations and mete out oppressive justice to women while suppressing their fundamental human rights of equality and freedom.

Again, i recognize what this man is saying, and I'd agree with him on some levels....on other levels, he's clearly tone-deaf.

I'm sure he is quite aware of all that and more. And I'm sure he himself speaks out against the Islamic oppressors no matter if it's in Burma or Arab states - I wouldn't put it past him.

He means "Muslim" in the theological sense, which should put an end to his hypocrisy.

Thanks.

Very Informative lecture so far already discussing many points discussed in this thread.

I haven't seen this entire video, but Sharpie (+Lonny and others) direct your attention to the first 5 minutes or at least 4:50, kudos. The speaker said it very well.

No Islamic government would oppress their own people like that, especially with the brutal amount that's happening in Syria. Infact, no Islamic government should oppress their own people regardless of religion or ethnicity. No government should damnit!

But what makes you say the Rohingyas plight in Burma pales to that of those being oppressed in Syria (or Sudan)? No need to compare... but if you must, if it means anything to you, the UN and other humanity groups have gone to the lengths of saying "rohingyas = one of most persecuted minorities in the world".

I'll be honest, i never even knew that community existed up till, earlier this week.

Are you serious? Besides the examples of Syria and Sudan already given, this problem is partially the result of the Bangladeshi government, which is an islamic government. Burma gives citizenship to all Rohignya who entered the country prior to 1948. All Rohignya who entered after did so illegally. They are a Bangladeshi ethnic group. Here's the kicker, they want to go back to Bangladesh, but Bangladesh won't let them. Who do you think they are reffering to when they refer to "our brothers" in your video. They're talking about the Bangladeshi who won't let them back in. So yes, a muslim government is taking full part in all of this.Edit: While we're on the topic of islamic governments supressing their own people, should we bring up the Shia vs. Sunni conflict. How many tens of millions have died as a result of that?

Aaaand here we go.

Unfortunately Super you dont get to decide whos a muslim and whos not.

Im also curious as to which previous dynasty, muslim empire would be classified as Islamic? The ones that applied different rules for the dhimmah?

So basically, whenever a muslim person does something bad, they aren't true muslims, so a muslim can never do anything wrong...right.You realize that Sudan desfines itself as an islamic state and uses Sharia law. That didn't stop them from killing millions of black muslims. Sudan may be the most islamic government in the world. Bangladesh is a country that is 90% muslim and about 150 million muslims live there. Islam is the state religion in Bangladesh. Even if the government is not islamic enough for you, why aren't the citizens helping out their fellow muslims and offering their homes?I'm not trying to single out muslims here. Jews, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, and Buddhists have all commited their share of attrocities (as I'm sure you'll let us know about any moment). But how can you possibly take this stance that muslims are capable of commiting no wrong? It's quite baffling.

One with an established Caliphate and it's not my definition.

Of course, and I haven't. But I can certainly say what's an Islamic government or not which is what we were talking about. And I haven't said those leaders who call themselves Muslim as being not.

Ottomans - they were successful.

No not at all.

Sudan can define itself as an Islamic state just as America can call itself the land of the free (bad analogy), but the irony here of course is that Islamically it is not.

I see some Muslims committing wrong and I've called them out on it in this very thread, on this very page.

1311947500573.gif

Archived