The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Killings in Burma

Super19

Not much media attention on this, but let this be a thread to post news, pictures, videos or just your thoughts on the situation in Burma.

"According to the unofficial reports, more than 20,000 Muslims have been killed, tortured and displaced by the extremist Buddhists in Burma’s Rakhine province, the worst sectarian killing in this part of the world over the years. The violence had killed 29 people in a day and displaced more than 30,000, said Htein Lin, secretary of the Ministry for Border Affairs. "

http://pakobserver.n...s.asp?id=164926

My thoughts go out to the Muslims and Rohingya's who are being persecuted in Burma.

Not much media attention on this, but let this be a thread to post news, pictures, videos or just your thoughts on the situation in Burma.

"According to the unofficial reports, more than 20,000 Muslims have been killed, tortured and displaced by the extremist Buddhists in Burma’s Rakhine province, the worst sectarian killing in this part of the world over the years. The violence had killed 29 people in a day and displaced more than 30,000, said Htein Lin, secretary of the Ministry for Border Affairs. "

My thoughts go out to the Muslims and Rohingya's who are being persecuted in Burma.

Me thinks this thread is an attempt to make muslims appear as the victims at the hands of other religions, since they're often portrayed as the protagonists so often.

A cheap attempt at victimhood in my opinion.

It's understandable though. Islam's taken a beating on CDC as of late, and I think S19 wanted to counter it with this thread.

I'm surprised he thought he could post 'unofficial reports' here and not think we'd question it.

Me thinks this thread is an attempt to make muslims appear as the victims at the hands of other religions, since they're often portrayed as the protagonists so often.

A cheap attempt at victimhood in my opinion.

It's understandable though. Islam's taken a beating on CDC as of late, and I think S19 wanted to counter it with this thread.

I'm surprised he thought he could post 'unofficial reports' here and not think we'd question it.

Keep on bringing in your stance then Sharpie, it's hard to get information on what's going on in Burma when reporting and coverage is so poor. Some of the 'islamic social media' had been giving out these reports and this is where I initially got word of what's happening in Burma - admittedly it's probably not the most accurate source. Though I have seen snippets of Burma catching World News headlines in the dailies around here. The facts are that Burma had issued a state of emergency back in June, human rights are being violated, and it seems as if the minority Rohingyas and Muslims are being persecuted.

Amnesty has a couple of articles as to what's going on though I haven't read them all.

http://www.amnesty.o.../region/myanmar

As for the rest of your post, CDC has barely put a beating on Islam - you must not stroll other niches of the web where the islam hate is rampant. Also, just because I made that one mistake of playing the victim card doesn't mean I'm doing it again. I had other oppurtunites to do so in recent times but I didn't - and I won't even bother mentioning what they could have been. I know there is a situation in Burma that's being under reported so I've made this a discussion for it where your thoughts and stance are welcome. Thanks for pointing out some of the inconsistencies.

I missed this post before i posted but yes this is a big issue.

The problem is that pakistanis tend to be "well educated" much like indians, as a result of the education system the brits left behind.

Sadly their whole world view is coloured by their hatred of India. Since India is "not muslim" and pakistan is then they tend to see everything as such.

They get zero serious education or discourse on world events as that wouldnt fit with the mold of pakistan as the perpetual victim of history.

So in the case of Burma its automatically muslim vs buddhist. Not even a pause to consider ethnic issues etc

They also have a totally warped view on what happened with bangladesh the former east pakistan. They think bangladeshis are muslim ergo brother ergo the same. They dont acknowledge the treatment of bangladeshis by their own (specifically punjabi paks).

With east pak/bangla they again see themselves as victims. Its everyone elses fault (ie indias) that bangla revolted. Never the fact that some ethnically different dudes rocked up to them and started treating them like crap.

Theres good reason why pakistan is in the top ten of failed states and trending upwards on the failed state index.

Keep on bringing in your stance then Sharpie, it's hard to get information on what's going on in Burma when reporting and coverage is so poor. Some of the 'islamic social media' had been giving out these reports and this is where I initially got word of what's happening in Burma - admittedly it's probably not the most accurate source. Though I have seen snippets of Burma catching World News headlines in the dailies around here. The facts are that Burma had issued a state of emergency back in June, human rights are being violated, and it seems as if the minority Rohingyas and Muslims are being persecuted.

Amnesty has a couple of articles as to what's going on though I haven't read them all.

http://www.amnesty.o.../region/myanmar

As for the rest of your post, CDC has barely put a beating on Islam - you must not stroll other niches of the web where the islam hate is rampant. Also, just because I made that one mistake of playing the victim card doesn't mean I'm doing it again. I had other oppurtunites to do so in recent times but I didn't - and I won't even bother mentioning what they could have been. I know there is a situation in Burma that's being under reported so I've made this a discussion for it where your thoughts and stance are welcome. Thanks for pointing out some of the inconsistencies.

Your 'unofficial sources' say:

An Indonesian group calling itself "People's Care for Rohingya" has been protesting in front of the Myanmar's embassy in the capital Jakarta against the violence and discrimination suffered by the Muslim Rohingya minority in Myanmar.

Thursday's demonstration attracted protesters carrying posters saying "stop violence" and chanting "God is great".

The protesters urged the Myanmar government to end the bloodshed and sectarian violence against the country's Rohingya population.

The violence between Rohingya and Rakhine Buddhists in Myanmar's western province has been ongoing since June 2011 and resulted in the deaths of 78 people and made tens of thousand homeless.

The protesters theatrically rolled around in fake blood and wrote graffiti on the Myanmar embassy walls.

"The Myanmar government have committed an act of inhumanity," said protester Arya Sandi Yudh.

"The UN also have already stated that Rohingya to be among the most persecuted people in the world," he added.

Many in mainly Buddhist Myanmar consider the Rohingya to be illegal settlers from neighbouring Bangladesh.

Report highlights abuses

They have never been recognised by the Myanmar government as citizens.

The United Nations says about 800,000 Rohingya live in Myanmar.

A recent rights group reports said Myanmar security forces killed, raped or carried out mass arrests of Rohingya Muslims after deadly sectarian riots in the northeast in June

The New York-based Human Rights Watch said aid workers were blocked and in some cases arrested in a government crackdown on the largest group of stateless people in Southeast Asia.

The report came after a week of arson and machete attack by both ethnic Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingyas in Rakhine state.

Based on 57 interviews with Rakhines and Rohingyas, the report sought to shed light on a conflict that exposed deep-rooted communal animosity and put the spotlight on promises by the civilian government in office since 2011 to protect human rights after decades of brutal army rule.

"Burmese security forces failed to protect the Arakan [Rakhine] and Rohingya from each other and then unleashed a campaign of violence and mass round-ups against the Rohingya," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

"The government claims it is committed to ending ethnic strife and abuse, but recent events in Arakan State demonstrate that state-sponsored persecution and discrimination persist."

^ That AJ artice doesn't seem to be making the case that the persecution is a religious one.

It actually seems to be a much more measured one that the initial offering of tripe in the OP.

Why aren't they out protesting the treatment of the muslim women in Pakistan? Or in Saudi Arabia? Or the way the non-religious are treated in Indonesia??

Archived