Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

[Discussion] Is Hansen Our Most Expendable Asset?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#91 Cup2013?

Cup2013?

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

Yes, Honey Badger is awesome and we all love him
But would he not be arguably our best trading chip after Luongo?

Think of it this way
- Productive, excellent checking 3rd liner
- 26 year old, coming off of a career high in points
- Signed cheap for 2 more seasons

Now your probably thinking to yourself, those are all great reasons to keep him
Wouldn't that mean his value is at an all time high?

At this point and time, Hansen is easily replaceable.
- Despite his haters, Raymond is a very serviceable 3rd liner
- Kassian could see increased role on 3rd line
- Jensen could be a long-term solution
- Even guys like Rodin/Mallet could knock on the door sooner rather than later.

Now I am not saying we should trade Hansen for the sake of trading Hansen

However, perhaps he could be leveraged into returning a premium in an area of weakness on our roster.
- Help in the top 6
- 3rd line center of similar value
- Packaged with Luongo for an increased return in Luongo trade

Instead of the typical "trade Raymond for nothing" thought process on CDC, why not consider moving Hansen for a premium, since we have players who could step in and replace him (and provide similar results)

I would honestly rather trade Raymond for next to "nothing"...only because I don't think I can take watching him play anymore.

#92 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

he's too diverse to trade away. other teams underestimate his versatility and will not offer as much as we want if we were to trade him. KEEP DA HONEY BADGER

tumblr_lxk4f2YfMc1qaosmto1_400.gif

#93 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,029 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

I would honestly rather trade Raymond for next to "nothing"...only because I don't think I can take watching him play anymore.

I've been breaking his balls much like everyone around here for a while now and didn't want him back but he's part of this Canuck family so I'm willing to give him more time. But he needs to find his game, and soon.
Posted Image

#94 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,688 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

The laughability continues if Hansen traded before Raymond.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#95 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yes, Honey Badger is awesome and we all love him
But would he not be arguably our best trading chip after Luongo?

Think of it this way
- Productive, excellent checking 3rd liner
- 26 year old, coming off of a career high in points
- Signed cheap for 2 more seasons

Now your probably thinking to yourself, those are all great reasons to keep him
Wouldn't that mean his value is at an all time high?

At this point and time, Hansen is easily replaceable.
- Despite his haters, Raymond is a very serviceable 3rd liner
- Kassian could see increased role on 3rd line
- Jensen could be a long-term solution
- Even guys like Rodin/Mallet could knock on the door sooner rather than later.

Now I am not saying we should trade Hansen for the sake of trading Hansen

However, perhaps he could be leveraged into returning a premium in an area of weakness on our roster.
- Help in the top 6
- 3rd line center of similar value
- Packaged with Luongo for an increased return in Luongo trade

Instead of the typical "trade Raymond for nothing" thought process on CDC, why not consider moving Hansen for a premium, since we have players who could step in and replace him (and provide similar results)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#96 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

I honestly don't think so. Raymond, Higgins and even Booth I think are more readily traded.

The price, and effective usage of Hansen is worth more than these I believe at this moment at least.
Posted Image

#97 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

His value to us > His value in a trade

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#98 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

My vote for most expendable. as always, goes to Luongo

#99 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

The Canucks as a whole give a damn very night. If not, they are promptly dealt with.

Regarding Hansen, yes; he is a tradable asset. Next in line would suggest he's on his way out. I would tend to say Ballard is closest to the door as is Raymond after his talk with Gillis.

Is Hansen replaceable? Yes he is. Does he have to be replaced? Not ad much as Raymond and Ballard. That said, Raymond's willingness to take a pay cut cannot be overlooked.

No, they don't. Did you not watch the last half of the season after the Boston game? No life in them at all. Painful hockey to watch.

#100 brooker

brooker

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

OR you could get Hansen to work on his faceoff skills and WALLA! not only do you have our best defensive forward playing a good shut down role but, you also don't have to read the get "unrealistic player and unrealistic trade thread talk"

#101 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,605 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hansen and Kassian are the only natural right wingers on the Canucks roster - Burrows is a natural left wing playing the right side, Raymond is as well - aside from all the positives things in Hansen's game, the actual depth on the roster also makes moving Hansen quite a bad idea, although it's become popular on CDC lately to throw him into proposals as if a replacable spare part.

#102 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hansen is heavily underrated. I don't know if anyone in the league can do his job as well as he does it. I feel like he'd be nearly impossible to replace. Trading him would be incredibly stupid.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#103 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

sorry folks ..Jannik isn't going anywhere..

all he knows is 60 more days until the Canuck home opener...

and trust me

he's counting... :towel:

#104 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

Easily replaceable? :lol:

YOU CANT REPLACE HONEY BADGER

he's the only one that gives a damn every night.

Burrows :P

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif

CDC Puck - Pittsburgh Penguins

#105 Buckeye Fruit

Buckeye Fruit

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

You think that Honey Badger cares if the OP thinks he is expendable? Honey Badger dont give a (&#$! :) Seriously, the dude stays. Has a lot of potential, works hard, plus is the mentor / big brother figure to Jensen...then next great dane...honey badger 2.0...honey badgerier.
<p>Posted Image GO FALCONS!

#106 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

You think that Honey Badger cares if the OP thinks he is expendable? Honey Badger dont give a (&#$! :) Seriously, the dude stays. Has a lot of potential, works hard, plus is the mentor / big brother figure to Jensen...then next great dane...honey badger 2.0...honey badgerier.

On top of that, his contract is dirt cheap. When players take huge paycuts to play on a team, you don't trade them.

#107 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

This is dumb. If Hansen is easily replaceable, then what value could he have? He'd be a dime a dozen and smart people don't give up much in scarce resources for a commodity that is not scarce.

#108 Evil Roach

Evil Roach

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

wtf

#109 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

I understand your question and point but the answer is simply no, he is not expendable. Why? Well your logic is a bit flawed because you are not factoring in things that he brings to the table other than points and the importance of his role on the team.

Hansen is one of our most versatile fwds, he can slot into a 1 or 2 in a pinch and plays the 3rd to perfection. He is one of the best players in the league on the forecheck and causes numerous turnovers. He is a terrific defensive player and has decent hands.

Having depth on your third line in terms of scoring ability is a big key to winning the cup. Not to mention he has a motor that doesn't quit. He in my mind is a poor man's Burrows.

Our first is the best in the league with the Sedins/Burrows

Our Second could be better but can also be better just from improvement of the players on that line. Kesler can bring more and will once he's healthy, Booth has to bring more and hopefully can, and I actually like Higgins up there vs 3 because there is chemistry between the three players.

Our third line is one of the best in the league if you have Hansen, Lappy, and Higgins or Kassian. A big part of that is Hansen. Take him out of the equation and the dynamic changes.

Don't agree with Nospeak - you are ignoring chemistry, you can't measure that in a trade. Right now this team / player fits well and enhances the chemistry of the team there are players that don't and those are expendible. Below are the guys that are core and chemistry builders and those that are not. Those that are cannot be traded.

Core Starters /Chemistry

Fwds
Sedins, Burrows
Kesler/Higgins
Hansen, Lappiere

Expendable Starters

Booth
Manny
Raymond

Defense Core/Chemistry
Edler
Bieksa
Hammer

Expendable
Ballard
Tanev

So, any package for Lou if it needs sweeteners can include any of the expendable guys but none of the core. Pretty simple.

Edited by ABurrows14, 12 August 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#110 Tim Thomas

Tim Thomas

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

My vote for most expendable. as always, goes to Luongo

luongo's all-time elite.....what r u talkin bout?

hansen and mason should go.....they're next to heap of grabarge outside rogers arena

#111 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I agree with most of what you said, I still don't think he would be easily replaced, but with players like Jensen, Kassian, Higgins, Raymond, he may be expendable. Most of the people commenting in this thread fail to realize that although Hansen is great at what he does, the Canucks still need to improve in different areas, e.i. second line winger and third line center, and the gain in the aforementioned positions would overcome the loss of Hansen, because of players like Higgins, Kassian and Jensen.

I would rather have Hansen than Higgins, Booth, Raymond, Lapierre, Kassian, or Jensen. He is durable, is arguably the teams hardest working player, fast, physical, great defensively, and has gotten exponentially better each season. He is extremely versatile , can play either wing, and can slot into the top 2 lines and fill in admirably
Hansen is the kind of depth that can win you games. This would be my lineup if I had it my way

Sedin Sedin Burr
Booth Kes Higgins
Hansen Lapierre Hansen
Hansen Hansen Hansen

Edited by 5minutesinthebox, 12 August 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#112 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Raymond is terrible so no.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#113 VanCanuck1997

VanCanuck1997

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I don't think he's as expendable as you think. You can't replace heart in the game. He always gives 100% in our games

^ this

#114 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,934 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Honestly, I think Burrrows is a more likely chip than Hansen at this point......Burr's game is going to start to decline soon and he's going to want a payday for this accomplishments (and rightly so) over the past few years, but MG might not want to be the one to give it to him.........Burrows is pretty well known and his value, amongst GM's, is probably pretty high still

Hansen, on the other hand, is on his way up..........he's what Burr was in 2007, but he's a pretty unknown entity in the league..........I think MG probably realizes that he would not get the value back for Hansen that he's worth to the Nucks

#115 kesler_is_clutch

kesler_is_clutch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

What are you smoking buddy! The dane is staying in van we be stupid to trade him!!

#116 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,525 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

I am thoroughly against trading Hansen.

Making an improvement to one line at the expense of another =/= improvement.

PBF200-Les_Douleurs_de_la_Morte.jpg

#117 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

If we can get a sweeter deal by adding Hansen into the mix, DO IT GMMG! The Hansen fans on this discussion board never cease to amaze me - you're as dedicated as Brent Sopel fans. But Hansen will never have soft enough hands to be a regular contributor - he lucked out first half of the season being on CoHo's line - and scored like 2 goals for the second half of the entire season.
He doesn't fight, and he doesn't have great open-ice hits - he's a low-class grinder, who isn't afraid to get in dirty areas. He IS EXPENDABLE. Guys like Burrows, Lappy, those are the more complete players with greater potential.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#118 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

So theoretical question.

In a Luongo trade lets say MG can get a package from Toronto centered around Kadri
Or
A package that sends Luongo and Hansen to Florida, but Bjugstad is the center piece.

What would you rather see?

#119 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

So theoretical question.

In a Luongo trade lets say MG can get a package from Toronto centered around Kadri
Or
A package that sends Luongo and Hansen to Florida, but Bjugstad is the center piece.

What would you rather see?

Mike Gillis fired for considering either proposal.
Posted Image

#120 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,605 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

If we can get a sweeter deal by adding Hansen into the mix, DO IT GMMG! The Hansen fans on this discussion board never cease to amaze me - you're as dedicated as Brent Sopel fans. But Hansen will never have soft enough hands to be a regular contributor - he lucked out first half of the season being on CoHo's line - and scored like 2 goals for the second half of the entire season.
He doesn't fight, and he doesn't have great open-ice hits - he's a low-class grinder, who isn't afraid to get in dirty areas. He IS EXPENDABLE. Guys like Burrows, Lappy, those are the more complete players with greater potential.

You Coho fans never cease to amaze. You're as dedicated as Vanilla Ice fans were.

Hansen had 9 goals in 47 games two years before Hodgson arrived - the same pace he scored at last year...
Hodgson lucked out, playing with Hansen and Higgins. He was expendable - the Honey Badger is an untouchable.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.