The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Hansen Our Most Expendable Asset?

Kack Zassian

I believe that if we can't sign Doan, Hansen deserves a shot at that second line spot. As was previously stated, he has improved his game at a consistent pace and, in my opinion, may be ready for prime time minutes on a line with more offensive punch. In his career so far, he has shown to be more of a passer than a shooter. This could be exactly what that line needs to succeed. He also plays a similar checking style to Keslers and would only compliment Kesler and Booth more. I like the idea of an in house fix more than bringing in outsiders. If we give our guys real chances to succeed, I believe the Canuck tradition could be better served and show our youth that hard work will be rewarded.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - LaPierre - Kassian/Pinizzotto

Weise - ? - Kassian/Pinizzotto

I believe, if given a chance, Hansen will excel in that position, leaving the third line spot to be fought over by Kassian and Pinner. Last season, it appeared that Pinizzotto was on his way to securing a spot. I think this year, we'll get a chance to see what he can do. Kassian, from what I've heard, is really working hard this offseason to trim down and speed up. I'm excited to see if he can maintain his beastly status while, at the same time, adding more speed and skill. If he can, look for him to make a huge impact on the line up structure and is my pick to have a break out season.

I know theres more to it than points, but 14 points in 54 games doesnt strike me as productive in the postseason...

Its not like a guy like Bergenheim where he does little during te season and is near a PPG in the post season

In no way shape or form is Hansen an expendable asset. Expendable means we have someone who is capable of not only replacing him, but doing his job better. Not a single player you mentioned is even close to being a successful replacement. Mallet, Kassian, and Jensen obviously aren't experienced enough and Raymond isn't in the same league as Hansen (not to mention he plays a different wing).

IMO Hansen's value is defined by the fact that he is a worker and a post-season performer.

***Playoff performers are NOT expendable players, especially on a team that while capable, has not yet won the Stanley Cup***

You don't trade a player like Hansen when you are looking to win, you trade for a player like Hansen when you are looking to win. If we were a rebuild team, the proposal would make more sense, but at the moment the prospect of considering Hansen a tradeable asset is bloody loony-tunes.

Expendable? Sure we may have some serviceable replacements, but none other than Higgins come close to bringing what Hansen has to the table. We are a 2nd line winger short of having a good second line. But we still have the Luongo trade, and possible other 2nd line players in the works such as Kassian and Jensen. (If you are going to bring them up for the 3rd, they have a better shot at second. Less defensive pressure, and quality secondary offensive time). But you would sacrifice the 3rd line, just to potentially make the second line a bit better.

In a trade Hansen won't bring back a top 2nd line winger. At best he'll bring back a borderline 2nd line winger, or one with lots of problems who would be a project. We have borderline second line wingers already in Higgins, Raymond, and even Hansen, also with Kassian and Jensen nearing being ready for the spot. So how would that be an upgrade over Hansen?

We need a good 2nd line winger, not a project at this point for the spot for this season.

I just don't see Hansen being more expendable than most of the rest of the team.

Yes, Honey Badger is awesome and we all love him

But would he not be arguably our best trading chip after Luongo?

Think of it this way

- Productive, excellent checking 3rd liner

- 26 year old, coming off of a career high in points

- Signed cheap for 2 more seasons

Now your probably thinking to yourself, those are all great reasons to keep him

Wouldn't that mean his value is at an all time high?

At this point and time, Hansen is easily replaceable.

- Despite his haters, Raymond is a very serviceable 3rd liner

- Kassian could see increased role on 3rd line

- Jensen could be a long-term solution

- Even guys like Rodin/Mallet could knock on the door sooner rather than later.

Now I am not saying we should trade Hansen for the sake of trading Hansen

However, perhaps he could be leveraged into returning a premium in an area of weakness on our roster.

- Help in the top 6

- 3rd line center of similar value

- Packaged with Luongo for an increased return in Luongo trade

Instead of the typical "trade Raymond for nothing" thought process on CDC, why not consider moving Hansen for a premium, since we have players who could step in and replace him (and provide similar results)

The only problem in dealing Hansen is that he's underrated, meaning his perceived value (by other GMs) is lower than his actual value (by MG). That's not to say Raymond's value is any higher or anything, though.

Raymond has been doing the beast thingy all summer long , he didnt expect to get an extension , I am positive he fully expected to be delt , he will be a HUGE asset this season !...Im serious , stop laughing , I mean it stop it !!!......MOM CDC IS LAUGHING AT ME AGAIN !!!!......just watch Raymond have a career year

Sorry but when was the last time Hansen dropped the gloves?

As tenacious as he is, he definitely is in no way a fighter..

Expendable? Sure we may have some serviceable replacements, but none other than Higgins come close to bringing what Hansen has to the table. We are a 2nd line winger short of having a good second line. But we still have the Luongo trade, and possible other 2nd line players in the works such as Kassian and Jensen. (If you are going to bring them up for the 3rd, they have a better shot at second. Less defensive pressure, and quality secondary offensive time). But you would sacrifice the 3rd line, just to potentially make the second line a bit better.

In a trade Hansen won't bring back a top 2nd line winger. At best he'll bring back a borderline 2nd line winger, or one with lots of problems who would be a project. We have borderline second line wingers already in Higgins, Raymond, and even Hansen, also with Kassian and Jensen nearing being ready for the spot. So how would that be an upgrade over Hansen?

We need a good 2nd line winger, not a project at this point for the spot for this season.

I just don't see Hansen being more expendable than most of the rest of the team.

Why would you want to replace Raymond with Hansen? Raymond has a higher salary hit, and he is far less useful and versatile.

The only reason Raymond gets more points than Hansen is because Raymond gets better linemates, and he gets to play on the powerplay.

Meanwhile, Hansen has to play against first liners and taking defensive zone draws focusing on shutdown.

And besides, what type of return are you expecting for Hansen? Very unlikely he will net us something more valuable with a better value for his salary.

Why would you want to replace Raymond with Hansen? Raymond has a higher salary hit, and he is far less useful and versatile.

The only reason Raymond gets more points than Hansen is because Raymond gets better linemates, and he gets to play on the powerplay.

Meanwhile, Hansen has to play against first liners and taking defensive zone draws focusing on shutdown.

And besides, what type of return are you expecting for Hansen? Very unlikely he will net us something more valuable with a better value for his salary.

Are you serious?.............better at what? Hogging the puck. That line would double in production if Booth and Kes would pass to each other AND Raymond. It's a bloody miracle Raymond got half the points he got. At least Hansen has line mates who pass to him.

A fit Raymond's value IS higher...........anyone doubting that belongs in Disneyland.

As for who gives 110% .........nobody, including Hansen, works harder than Raymond. He is also on the ice for longer most games too (and that after coming off no real pre- season after serious injury)

"he definetly would not drop the gloves like Hansen does. Hansen and Bieksa are the only players that consistently stick their noses in there when someone takes liberties.

I found one "fight" for each player on youtube .......both "fights" were stepping in to help team mates.

I believe that if we can't sign Doan, Hansen deserves a shot at that second line spot. As was previously stated, he has improved his game at a consistent pace and, in my opinion, may be ready for prime time minutes on a line with more offensive punch. In his career so far, he has shown to be more of a passer than a shooter. This could be exactly what that line needs to succeed. He also plays a similar checking style to Keslers and would only compliment Kesler and Booth more. I like the idea of an in house fix more than bringing in outsiders. If we give our guys real chances to succeed, I believe the Canuck tradition could be better served and show our youth that hard work will be rewarded.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Hansen

Higgins - LaPierre - Kassian/Pinizzotto

Weise - ? - Kassian/Pinizzotto

I believe, if given a chance, Hansen will excel in that position, leaving the third line spot to be fought over by Kassian and Pinner. Last season, it appeared that Pinizzotto was on his way to securing a spot. I think this year, we'll get a chance to see what he can do. Kassian, from what I've heard, is really working hard this offseason to trim down and speed up. I'm excited to see if he can maintain his beastly status while, at the same time, adding more speed and skill. If he can, look for him to make a huge impact on the line up structure and is my pick to have a break out season.

Archived