#1 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hey Guys,

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have signed off on a job offer of $40k in a entry level Accounts Payable position that starts in a week and a half. The company has myself and 2 others in the acct department. Growth will be slow. They said they will provide full training and software training (use some custom software)

Yesterday I had an interview with a oil and gas company in calgary for a position that is similar Its a Accounts Payable/Junior Accountant role. This organization uses SAP (ERP system) which I have zero experience in. I know I can do the accounts payable portion of the job thats easy, the junior stuff I have done in school but never in the work place. I guess my question is how flexible are some organizations with training and being patient with a new hire who is willing to learn. BTW these guys offered $53k and tons of growth potential in calgary.

I have to decide by 430pm monday

Thoughts?

#2 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

depends how solid the contract is that you signed...

but i would go for more money... you might think your doing the right thing by sticking with the first guys you signed a contract to - but in a matter of weeks, even days, you will regret not going for the higher paying job.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#3 mau5trap

mau5trap

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Wooaaahhh calm down there Justin Schultz

:P

Posted Image

#4 mmmcookies1975

mmmcookies1975

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

If you're willing to learn/move take the Calgary job...it will give you more in the long run (experience, new skills) and a fancy title :)

#5 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

If you're willing to learn/move take the Calgary job...it will give you more in the long run (experience, new skills) and a fancy title :)

LOL Fancy title. Junior Accountant as opposed to Accounts Payable not too fancy either way. As for moving to calgary.... I cannot wait to get the hell out of calgary and move to vancouver to cheer on my team

#6 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wooaaahhh calm down there Justin Schultz

:P

Unlike him I refuse to drive up Highway 2 for 3 hours and move to Edmonton ewwwww

#7 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

depends how solid the contract is that you signed...

but i would go for more money... you might think your doing the right thing by sticking with the first guys you signed a contract to - but in a matter of weeks, even days, you will regret not going for the higher paying job.

Im not sure it was through another agency and I signed the paper work on aug 1st but dont start till the 21st. I signed it and the VP signed it so im not sure if I will be held liable or not

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Take the second option. Very difficult to get into Oil/Gas.
Don't worry about training. If they offered you the position they are ready to train you.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Im not sure it was through another agency and I signed the paper work on aug 1st but dont start till the 21st. I signed it and the VP signed it so im not sure if I will be held liable or not

Within 3 months you are never liable.

#10 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

What Shifty said ^^^ .. use the extra money to get the Canuck package and do the three game west coast trip as a reward .. :)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#11 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Take the second option. Very difficult to get into Oil/Gas.
Don't worry about training. If they offered you the position they are ready to train you.

Im just a bit hesitant. Living in calgary all my life i know oil and gas is where its at. I lost my sales job last december and have never been able to find permanent FT employment since then, until now. So im just a bit hesitant because the lower paying job I know i can do, the higher paying is going to have a learning curve (also fear of getting fired) so thats where im stuck.

Also as a side note, I went into this oil and gas interview yesterday and bombed it on Purpose and they still called and want to hire me so I am jsut wondering WTF is up with that

#12 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,352 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Im just a bit hesitant. Living in calgary all my life i know oil and gas is where its at. I lost my sales job last december and have never been able to find permanent FT employment since then, until now. So im just a bit hesitant because the lower paying job I know i can do, the higher paying is going to have a learning curve (also fear of getting fired) so thats where im stuck.

Also as a side note, I went into this oil and gas interview yesterday and bombed it on Purpose and they still called and want to hire me so I am jsut wondering WTF is up with that

Never wear a mini-skirt to an interview again .. :lol:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#13 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Never wear a mini-skirt to an interview again .. :lol:

LOL more like I went in to it 25 minutes LATE on purpose. Wore jeans and a Tshirt and gave them totally bogus answers on purpose. Because I did not think I could do the job and they still called me

#14 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Take #1
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#15 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Take the better paying job in Calgary, buy yourself a big screen plasma TV, get Center Ice for the season and your good to go.

#16 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Take #1

what is the reasoning behind your answer please?

#17 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Take the better paying job in Calgary, buy yourself a big screen plasma TV, get Center Ice for the season and your good to go.

Already in calgary. Already have like 5 big screens and get center ice every year. I saw every nucks game last year.

But why would u take the better paying job

#18 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Already in calgary. Already have like 5 big screens and get center ice every year. I saw every nucks game last year.

For the love of money

#19 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,308 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Would you seriously consider being paid less knowing you could make more elsewhere?

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#20 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Would you seriously consider being paid less knowing you could make more elsewhere?

actually as bad as this sounds yes.. and here is the reasoning

The lower paying job I am guaranteed to make it past the probation period as all the requirements are stuff I have done before.

The higher paying job I have never used the system, I dont know how to do al the required tasks and duties, and therefore i fear being on a shorter leash and being let go quicker

#21 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I would take the Calgary job. No reason though, lol :)
Posted Image

#22 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image

#23 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

I guess i misrepresented myself in the main thread starter.

I live in calgary and both jobs are in calgary.. Just unsure of which one

#24 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

The higher paying job I have never used the system, I dont know how to do al the required tasks and duties, and therefore i fear being on a shorter leash and being let go quicker

Wrong frame of mind. If they are offering the position to you, you are definitely qualified. They will give you every opportunity to succeed. If they don't........you don't want to be there anyways.

#25 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Which ever job you like, if that is the case at all. If you hate what you're doing at both, then obviously take the one for 53k.

BUT enjoyment over money at a job is most important. If you hate waking up going to work everyday your life is going to be miserable. This is the case with most people.

Edited by Rypien37, 11 August 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#26 TGokou

TGokou

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Take the higher paying job. You will learn new things which is great for your career. I wouldn't worry about being fired/shorter leash. The fact that they are willing to train you means they are willing to spend a lot of money on you to get you up to speed. They are not gonna let you go for no reason unless your a total dick and completely incompetent which I doubt you are. In the end, the new responsibilities and learning something different will be more satisfying, not to mention the money.

#27 FlappyLappy

FlappyLappy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Which ever job you like, if that is the case at all. If you hate what you're doing at both, then obviously take the one for 53k.

BUT enjoyment over money at a job is most important. If you hate waking up going to work everyday your life is going to be miserable. This is the case with most people.

Thanks for your reply.

I havent done either job, int he past I have done a similar position I enjoyed. The problem with the one at 53k is there are tasks that I have never done in a work environment but I have the educational background for it.

Im not sure if I will hate the job is more of a fear of I i cannot produce then ill get fired and I cannot have that.

My wife is having twins and my parents both have disabilities and dont work and live with me so ltos of responsabilities

#28 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Might be a good idea to take the second one because of SAP. It would be a great idea to gain knowledge of one of the big ERP systems out there.

#29 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

I guess i misrepresented myself in the main thread starter.

I live in calgary and both jobs are in calgary.. Just unsure of which one

Ohh I see. If I were you, take the higher paying job. Who cares if you don't know everything already, you'll learn it, thus getting more exp as well. The extra dough won't hurt either :)
Posted Image

#30 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I havent done either job, int he past I have done a similar position I enjoyed. The problem with the one at 53k is there are tasks that I have never done in a work environment but I have the educational background for it.

Im not sure if I will hate the job is more of a fear of I i cannot produce then ill get fired and I cannot have that.

My wife is having twins and my parents both have disabilities and dont work and live with me so ltos of responsabilities

Well after I read the last part it seems like an easy answer to me. You are at a point where many people are relying on you so that extra 13K a year would really help. Like others have said if they still wanted to hire you after the interview you said you purposely sabotaged then they clearly see something.

There are plenty of people looking for work, so if they are determined to hire you they clearly think you are capable of the job.

Also I would look at it this way, most people in today's job market aren't stuck with problems like you have. Most are looking for ANY job. So this tells me you have very good qualifications or traits they employers want. MEANING...even if you DO get fired, I'm sure you wouldn't have a hard time finding another job quickly.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.