Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who's more valuable?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#31 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:56 AM

I miss Torres... :(

Yeah sure, Higgins is probably a better hockey player but Torres helped the team more because of his size. He could stand down Joe Thornton in a physical match up.

Higgins is more valuable than Hansen for the same reason, size. he also stands up better against the boards. Also currently more capable of stepping up to the 2knd line and scoring.

All props to Hansen and Higgins for their level of compete, but we need a BIG guy who does what Hansen and Higgins do...

#32 supermanbieksa

supermanbieksa

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

As of where they are today, I would have to say Higgins.

For defensive play I'd say Higgins = Hansen
For overall versatility...Higgins > Hansen
For tenacity/agitating opponents...Higgins < Hansen
For consistency...Higgins > Hansen
For health...Higgins < Hansen
For offensive play...Higgins > Hansen

It looks like Higgins tops out at 0.6PPG or 49 points per year (extrapolates to 20-25G / 24G-29A...stellar numbers for a guy who moves up and down the 2nd/3rd line); Hansen hasn't delivered such numbers in his career, though I think Hansen has another gear and we should expect to see his offensive numbers improve.

So, when you look at their overall game and value to the Canucks, I'd say Higgins brings more to the table than Hansen.

It would be great to see what Higgins can deliver over a full 82 game schedule and playoffs when he's not dealing with nagging injuries and illness that he's dealt with since 2007-08 when he looked like the second coming of Vinny Damphousse.

Hansen is one of the most consistent player on this team and Higgins has had problem through out his whole career with consistency.

#33 White Goodman

White Goodman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

both are valuable but i would say hansen because he gives it his hardest every night.
Posted Image

#34 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hummm..
Chris Higgins @ 1.9 M

resembles a much waste of time Steve Bernier..and even skates like him..and to this day has still yet to impress me...
Jannik Hansen 1.4 M
has done everything in his power to keep the Presidents trophy in Vancouver for 2 years...
well my thoughts are with Jannik @ 1.4 M ..hands down.

You think Higgins, who scored 18 goals and 43 points for us while battling an infection all year and bouncing between the 2rd and 3rd lines is "a waste of time like Steve Bernier" @ 1.9million? :picard: is all I have to say about that.

Hansen no doubt, Higgins is a tweener who is neither a legit top 6, yet too skilled to be a gritty hard to play against 3rd liner.
Tweeners are a dime a dozen, yet he is a hard worker, and works well on the third line.
If Higgy is in our top 6, dont expect the cup anytime soon.
Hansen is the type of player who helps you win a cup, Higgy is more of an all around player, yet no specialty. Easily replaced.
I'd rather have some size, meanness and secondary scoring ability, rather than a jack of all trades.

So our most versatile player who can play on any line is "easily replaced"? And how do you figure he's not a top 6? He put up 2nd line caliber numbers while battling an infection and being on the 3rd line for a large portion of the season.

"I'd rather have some secondary scoring ability" -- :picard: yeah I guess 18 goals is nothing.

I've never had to do two facepalms in one post. Seriously, it's like people on here won't be happy with our 1.9mil player until he's putting up 80+pts a season, and even then I'm sure they'd find something to whine about.

Edited by Moonshinefe, 12 August 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#35 JPizzle

JPizzle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

both

#36 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Defineatly 2 of my favorite current players.
It doesn't matter which one is more valuable, it would be great if we had more players like these 2 that play with that kind of heart! Neither are expendable IMO.

#37 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

Higgins is much better IMO, it's not even close...

#38 burrows42010

burrows42010

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Higgins IMO. Hansen is expendable if it means we get Bjugstad out of a Luongo deal.

higgins and hansen both bring a specific skill set that this team needs.....they both compete huge every shift...re-sign both these guys and quit even thinking of trading them.they both bring speed,work ethic,and skill.....and i believe both these guys will be better next year.go canucks!!!!!!

#39 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Both, they help each other out making it an easier game for one another.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#40 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Both are valuable to the team.Just that Higgy has better ABS :rolleyes:

10122810.jpg

#41 kesler is the king

kesler is the king

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

That's a really tough one, but if I had to choose I think I would say Hansen. Higgins is an easier guy to replace (but don't get me wrong, I love the guy). I think Hansen is the type of player that we need to keep. He is one of the best checking third liners in the league and I think he is very valuable to our team. He is a solid third line winger in that he can throw some pretty nice hits, is very good defensively, and can score and skate well. Plus, if we need him to, he can step it up and play on the second, or even first lines. Not that both Higgins and Hansen aren't like that, and they both add a lot of heart and give 110% every night, but I think overall Hansen would be the better choice; plus he has less history with injuries and infections. Though, I want to keep them both!!! They are very similar players in a lot of aspects, especially when you write down their best qualities, yet to watch them play they both bring such different things to the game.

#42 kesler is the king

kesler is the king

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Both are valuable to the team.Just that Higgy has better ABS :rolleyes:

true that!!! though, Kes could give him a run for his money ;) lol

#43 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,893 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Right Now:

Higgy but just slightly

But i think that Hansen at the peak of his career will be better than Higgins peak

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#44 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Higgins.
However, I have more faith that Hansen can continue being valuable year after year. I'm still not sold that Higgins can perform like he did this year on a consistent basis.

Hansen is one of the most consistent player on this team and Higgins has had problem through out his whole career with consistency.

I don't see an issue with Higgins and "consistency". When he's had off seasons it appears (at least to me) to have more to do with injury problems than him just being off his game.

I would prefer to keep them both.

Hansen can produce points, however, Higgins does have more offensive upside.

Higgins can be a very proficent checker, Hansen has more defensive upside.

Each is valuable and neither could be easily replaced.

Each can move up or down the line. Higgins is a 2nd to 3rd line tweener. Hansen is more of a 3rd/4th line tweener.

If the team needs a guy to step up to the top-6, either could do it, but Higgins would be the better option.

If the team needed a guy to drop down to 4th line minutes while a guy like Kassian was tried out on the 3rd line, then Hansen could still be very capable.

I think it's fortunate that they generally play the opposite side from each other.

Now, if only the team can get a center to play with them. Maybe Malhotra is the guy, or perhaps Lapierre. Or maybe it's a guy who isn't as yet on the team.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#45 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

higgins has the greater potential upside , he just has to play to that level consistently , something he has not done so far in his career .

You do know Higgins is 29, right? And how few players actually improve at that age? "Potential upside"? I think not.

#46 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Higgins is a better player, but I think Hansen is more valuable to our team.

Can you make a poll?
Spoiler

#47 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hansen stepped up big early in the playoffs the last couple years, Higgy was really bad vs the Kings.

#48 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

higgins has the greater potential upside , he just has to play to that level consistently , something he has not done so far in his career .

Higgins is 3 years older. Hansen is the obvious answer, IMO. Higgins is a floater. Wildly inconsistent.

#49 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

hansen

Posted Image

#50 Shoreline74

Shoreline74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

So hard to choose. Love both these guys. But when I think of the unsung heart and soul of the team, I think: Jannik Hansen.

I watched him real close last year and thought "wow, this guy is really a steal of a deal and amazing on our team. he puts in the effort every single night like it was his last game." Higgins is amazing as well and is always clutch for us. Much respect for the points he put up last season while battling multiple infections. If I had to choose which one to keep it would be very hard, but Hansen isn't a player you come across all the time.

#51 cmccomb

cmccomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Higgins. He's steady and a real workhorse.
Hansen has the talent, but needs to find a way to put the puck in the net when he gets the chance. It's touch and go whether or not this guy will just be one of those guys with flashy moves and a mediocre career, or maybe he will just keep on getting better. Right now, I tend to think it will be the former. But, I like the guy and hope he proves me wrong.

You need to reverse the names there. Higgins has more natural offensive talent for sure, at least he's a better finisher. Having said that I think Hansen has very underrated passing game. I'm not sure where all this 'flash' is with Hansen, he's not flashy. He's a quick skater, but that doesn't make him flashy.

I think Hansen is more valuable, exactly why you would get more for him in a trade. Hansen plays with an edge and is in the lineup more and cost less money. Won't get the goal count, but that could change, he's younger and has more upside. You know what you're going to get with Higgins and he is more versatile position wise.

I think for 1.3 million that it would be incredibly hard to replace with Hansen brings.

#52 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hansen no doubt, Higgins is a tweener who is neither a legit top 6, yet too skilled to be a gritty hard to play against 3rd liner.

Tweeners are a dime a dozen, yet he is a hard worker, and works well on the third line.

If Higgy is in our top 6, dont expect the cup anytime soon.

Hansen is the type of player who helps you win a cup, Higgy is more of an all around player, yet no specialty. Easily replaced.

I'd rather have some size, meanness and secondary scoring ability, rather than a jack of all trades.

+1

Exactly why I think people overrate Higgins, he's great but he's got (for the most part) and average skillset and he's just a hardworker, but then again so is Hansen and he brings things that set him apart that Higgins doesn't have for a 3rd line role.

zackass.png

#53 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

They're both extremely valuable depth players on this team. Sooo.....both.

#54 PunjabiCanuck

PunjabiCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Who cares there nth great players. We just need to keep em together in the lineup because they work real well together

#55 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hansen for me, but they're close. Why are we asking who's more valuable? Neither will be traded, together they form one of the most badass third line duo's in the NHL, they're way more valuable to us than in a trade.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#56 Mase_Raymond_21

Mase_Raymond_21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

HANSEN!!
Posted Image

#57 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Higgin obviously. is this even a serious question?

#58 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hummm..

Chris Higgins @ 1.9 M

resembles a much waste of time Steve Bernier..and even skates like him..and to this day has still yet to impress me...

Jannik Hansen 1.4 M

has done everything in his power to keep the Presidents trophy in Vancouver for 2 years...

well my thoughts are with Jannik @ 1.4 M ..hands down.

Oh yeah, most GWG during our cup run doesn't impress you at all?

Edited by Ares, 12 August 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

#59 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

BOTH
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#60 sharkfinsoup

sharkfinsoup

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

They're like the two sides of a coin, they work well together. If i had to choose I pick Hansen though, he's good on our bottom six.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.