The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Shane Doan Isn't the Greatest Fit

Avicii

OP: You are wrong. Doan would be a great fit in Vancouver if he decides to play here. Best option out there, end of story.. Lupul is a joke, so shut it, all of you little Lupul lovin' losers, get a leafs jersey, he sucks. Doan's big, strong, has good hands and will not hesitate to lay a huge check (or cheap shot) if needed.

I notice a lot of people loving it up on Booth... Did you watch him play last year? Did you watch him and MayRay in the ice dance syncro event or were you too busy playing EA sports and texting your little friends? He sucked, he's MayRay 2.0 out there. It's the same guys ( or girls ) loving on Booth that are saying trade MayRay and things like Doan isn't the best fit.. Shut up.. When you watch hockey, watch the game and pay attention. I swear to god, you feeble minded adolescence need to stop making threads or even commenting on them.

Garrison better do something good out here or Gillis should be banned from signing any player out of the weak ass SE division. I mean seriously, how's that going for you Mike? Sorry what? AV is making Ballard suck? Oh yeah... Hu, so what's wrong with Booth? He's an upgrade on Samuellson.... but who isn't? Yes, I know Luongo came outta Florida, to now hold several goaltending records for the Canucks and is surely the best goalie to ever wear a Canucks jersey but... Burke got him.

Burrows can take a hit and remain healthy. Kesler and Booth are both strong power forwards. They are the two biggest players and most capable hitters among our top 9. Deterrence from goons has a limit, if they seriously need protection, then they are officially the biggest pansies in the league and need to be traded asap.

Wrong. Doan is the right guy just for his leadership in the room alone. Something the current model Canucks clearly don't have. It'd would've been nice had they had someone to set the tone against Boston. Maybe that frees up the twins to concentrate more on scoring rather than on where the next after-the-whistle hit was coming from. Bringing in Doan not only reunites Kes & Burr, but it also most likely makes it necessary for MG to free up cap space by getting rid of some of the Canucks dead weight. I have 1 player in particular in mind, but, I won't mention his name.

And, back to the leadership front; regardless what happens with Doan, is there anyone who wouldn't want to see Jason Arnott added to the mix if possible?

But seriously, Doan is a perfect fit for the Sedins. If we would have that first line we wouldn't even need a better 2nd line.

I know secondary scoring is very important, but as mentioned above. Burrows and Kesler fits perfectly together and with their combination with speed, grit and skill together with the game Booth plays will make one of the fastest lines in hockey.

I do not hate Doana .. he is vastly over-rated here, and elsewhere, and he is a cheap-shot coward .. I am not a big fan of Lupul, but when you look at what he did playing with Kessel, how do you think he would do with the Twins?

Last year: Doana played 79 games, had 22 goals and 28 assists' for 50 points

Lupul played 66 games and had 25 goals and 42 assists for 67 points

There are other options available to us via trade, rather than commit too much money for too little return .. we need a "Lupul" type winger who can pass and score, and we need a bottom six type who can stand up to the Lucic's of the world ..

Kesler has been ground right into the ice as he has had to do it -alone.

Daniel Sedin has now had one concussion and brother Henrik was injured in the SCP's with multiple hacks,whacks and cross checks to the body,most noticably the back.

Booth takes care of himself,Burrows takes care of himself but neither is able to protect the money maker goal scorers/playmakers.

Mid range talent that don't open ice or protect high end elite talent are a dime a dozen.

This team has a few pansies that do not score,already.

Doan would be brought here to be the playmaker on the 2nd line with Kesler and Booth, NOT to be the 3rd Sedin. Burrows is still gonna be there, whether people think he's a legitimate 1st line player, is debatable, but irrelevant if we can't get a player like Nash or Lecavalier. I personally dont think Burrows would be a 1st line player on most other teams, but the chemistry he does have with the Sedins is undeniable. Doan would be there to mentor and feed the scorers in Kes & Booth...

I've been saying this for a long time now. MG needs to look at his top-6 and top-9 forward group and build some chemistry with the right mix of players.

Right now we have 2 skilled forwards in our top-6, 3 in our top-9, and the rest are bulky, physical powerforwards. I know it's easy to say "But look, L.A and Boston won Cups with lots of big, physical forwards", but its much more complex than that. These teams won Cups (as did teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh and especially Anaheim and Carolina) because they had the PERFECT MIX of skilled guys to tough big forwards.

Recently, look at L.A and Boston's top-6 groups. Los Angeles had powerforwards such as Brown, Richards and Penner complemented by purely skilled guys like Kopitar, Williams and Carter. If you go down to their 3rd line they kept the trend going, with Stoll and King as powerforwards and Nolan/Gagne bringing an element of skill.

Look back to Boston and they had gritty powerforwards like Lucic, Horton and Marchand mixed in with skilled guys like Krejci, Bergeron and Peverley.

None of these Cup winning teams were as one dimensional as the Canucks are now becoming, which is a dangerous area to tend towards. By signing Doan, we take one step closer to that. Worst of all is that our only 2 skilled forwards play on the same line, and there's not much that can be done there.

A quick fix here would be to find a very skilled (but not a slow, big hitter) forward to play alongside Kesler, then have any powerforward play with the Sedins. If we don't sign anyone else this offseason, we can still achieve this by simply dropping Burrows to Kesler's line (more of a playmaker after playing with the Sedins) and having a new audition for the Sedin line with guys like Hansen (ready to breakout, our best crease player, right handed shot), Kassian (huge), Booth (takes the puck hardest to the net on the team), Higgins (great forechecker), Lapierre (very gritty, right hander) etc.

First of all, Burrows chases after pucks for the Sedins like a mad dog and gets them a majority of the time. Also, Burrows plays their cycling game making him also a dangerous element on the line, forcing defenders to watch our for him...which opens up space for the Sedins so I don't see how he doesn't open up ice...players like that don't come at Burrows' price

Burrows may be mid range talent, but the Sedins game really took off when he joined their line...

From what I have seen of Booth, his speed allows him to bring the puck into the attacking zone very fast and he can also cover large distances very quickly and with ease. If that doesn't help with offence, I don't know what does.

Archived