The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 Signs the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Is Closing

SCVRUSH

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First off, I think they all have the fundamental knowledge or else they wouldn't be in the NHL.

Anyways about Ballard, I can understand if we need cap space, but we don't need that cap space for something else right now right, he fits well in our line-up with Tanev so just keep him, if we need cap space or there's an upgrade avaliable then look at for sure but right now we can keep him under the cap and still have room for other things.

You make a good point about Hamhuis, but I also think that Hamhuis does things that are vital to our success that Allen can't do, Hamhuis is our best defensemen (imo) and I wouldn't wanna replace him with Allen.

The Sedin's not really getting any younger is not a valid point at this time. It will be in the future, if Canucks Management don't set up the team properly, so that there is sufficient talent to allow for natural succession.

All the other points have some validiity. If Kesler gets to play the way he did two years ago, this team is significantly stronger. We will see what happens with him. But, after last season, it's difficult to understand what his future is, other than mediocre.

Other teams really have made a stong effort to get better through trades and acquisitions. But, we will see how those teams fare.

Right now, the Canucks are still at par, which is not where they want to be going into the Playoffs next season. I predict MG will try to do something to address this. Hope it's enough to be a real Cup contender, but don't bet on it.

I'm confident we'll have a couple Cups by the end of the decade. Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian will be a nasty line to play against in 5-6 years. Follow that up with Schroeder and whoever we get in the Luongo trade and we're looking pretty good for the next 8-10 years.

No need for CDC'ers to get all butt hurt here. It's a fairly balanced analysis. I don't know if the window is closing, but, I do think that the question should instead be are they 1 game better now than 2010-2011? You get 1 game away from the Cup and you shouldn't be focusing on "windows", if you ask me. All I care about is MG putting a squad together that is 1 game better than the 2010-2011 club. Because for as long as he still has that responsibilty, that will and should be the only question on the minds of anyone who cares about the Vancouver Canucks.

Any talk of keeping "windows" open is pointless and a step backwards until they actually win that Cup. Talking about keeping their "window" open suggests to me that the focus is on merely remaining competitive rather than specifically being 1 game better than they were against Boston.

How can you say on the one hand all you need is a little confidence and puck luck to win the cup, but then on the other hand make an argument for the window is closing? Does that puck luck go both ways or just against the Nucks.

That's just completely contradictory.

the bruins slammed the window shut in our faces in 2011. the kings did so this year. it will be slammed shut in our faces again next year, the year after that and so on and so on.........

this is what we canucks fans are forced to live for.

i personally think the window is realistically closed, not closing, even if it doesn't look that way. i view the canucks going into this coming season a lot like the team of 05-06. that team missed its chance in 2002-03 (like this one did losing in 2010-11), was upset the following year (again the same), and came into the 05-06 season as definite contenders, if not favourites to win. that team crapped the bed that year and missed the playoffs. i'm not sure the team will miss the playoffs this year (i'm not sure it's even possible with how terrible the division is), but i think it'll be another first round exit and time to blow things up after.

Everything you say here is all opinion. Maybe Kesler won't return to form, maybe the Sedins will be on the decline. And I think I threw up in my mouth a little when you said the Kings cup run was a fluke. :picard: THEY STEEM ROLLED their way to the cup. It looked like they were playing little girls on figure skates. They honestly might have a dynasty on their hands. I don't see why they can't do what they did again. I mean they have the same roster pretty much.

As a Canucks fan, I'm scared sh*tless of what lies ahead for the Canucks next year.

The biggest concern is how long the Sedins can keep up their production. Once they decline, it will take some time to replace them. Then we really get to see how good of a GM Gillis is.

It ain't cheap acquiring a first line player through trade and definitely not through UFA. Gillis better keep those picks and hope he finds some gems.

With what happened Last year, not only with the Kings, But also the Devils and Yotes, Stanley Cup favorites and seeding don't really mean that much.

What I see winning cups is hot goaltending, slashing/hacking, and a crappy powerplay.

We may have All of the above come playoff time.

So I'm not worried.

Unless, of course Cory lets in weak goals, we don't slash and hack and our powerplay lights it up.

Archived