Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

6 Signs the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Is Closing

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Poll: 6 Signs the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Is Closing (160 member(s) have cast votes)

Are the Vancouver Canucks' Stanley Cup Window Closing ?

1. Yes (96 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (64 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Carol needs to Schram. Toughness was never this team's problem. Our problem was that we never had enough high-end offensive players that can put the puck in the back of the net. No one on this team can snipe.

This is 100%, pure truth.

The amount of points from both Danny and Hank aren't from Danny's sniping abilities, but from Hank's playmaking abilities. I'm not being sarcastic neither.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#32 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

POPULAR

this article is actually very true. You're all in denial.
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

My response

1. Not sure how to respond to this, other than to say that now that we have had a full summer, and that the loss isn't lingering, it will make us more relaxed and better and we will see how good our team actually it.

2. Sedin's will be able to maintain top level play for a few years so nothing to worry about right now/.

3. Kesler was injured, and still had a decent year, I'm not sure how you can definitively say that he won't, I think he will.

4. Higgins has been consistent, Hansen has only gotten better, Edler is getting better and will emerge, Hamhuis has been consistent, Schneider will emerge, Burrows has been consistent, Tanev will be better, Kassian will be better, Lappierre exceeded expectations. I could keep going on so I don't understand there argument at all.

5. That's debatable, Kassian will be there next year, Doan will help alot if we get him, we have 4th line guys like any other team, we have gotten bigger on the back-end with Garrison, and there will still be moves made, either way the toughness thing is overdone that's not why we lost in the SCF.

6. LA won't make it that far, since they said it was hard to get back and I think it was a fluke honestly they had a good enough team to do it but I like it was a bit flukey because just caught fire at the right time, or else they never would have gone on that run with the way they were playing prior. Nashville has gotten alot worse, Detriot isn't as good, Chicago isn't nearly the team they once were, San Jose isn't as good as they once were, St.Louis has gotten better, Minnesota won't make the playoffs, any other probably wont do anything in the playoffs if they make it., I'm not sure what the competition in the west is, the East has gotten alot better but the West has remained the same.

I like our chances this year, and that's all we should be focused on, if something happens they we can make changes accordingly for the next season's but right now we only have to worry about this season, and we have one or two more moves to make and I think we will be the best team in the West.

I like our chances heading into this season.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 12 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

zackass.png

#34 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

My response

1. Not sure how to respond to this, other than to say that now that we have had a full summer, and that the loss isn't lingering, it will make us more relaxed and better and we will see how good our team actually it.

2. Sedin's will be able to maintain top level play for a few years so nothing to worry about right now/.

3. Kesler was injured, and still had a decent year, I'm not sure how you can definitively say that he won't, I think he will.

4. Higgins has been consistent, Hansen has only gotten better, Edler is getting better and will emerge, Hamhuis has been consistent, Schneider will emerge, Burrows has been consistent, Tanev will be better, Kassian will be better, Lappierre exceeded expectations. I could keep going on so I don't understand there argument at all.

5. That's debatable, Kassian will be there next year, Doan will help alot if we get him, we have 4th line guys like any other team, we have gotten bigger on the back-end with Garrison, and there will still be moves made, either way the toughness thing is overdone that's not why we lost in the SCF.

6. LA won't make it that far, since they said it was hard to get back and I think it was a fluke honestly they just caught fire at the right time, Nashville has gotten alot worse, Detriot isn't as good, Chicago isn't nearly the team they once were, San Jose isn't as good as they once were, St.Louis has gotten better, Minnesota won't make the playoffs, any other probably wont do anything in the playoffs if they make it., I'm not sure what the competition in the west is, the East has gotten alot better but the West has remained the same.

Our team has gotten better and I think we will start to see more moves made through this month, so I'm not worried, I like our chances this season if we can make one or two more moves which I think we will.

Everything you say here is all opinion. Maybe Kesler won't return to form, maybe the Sedins will be on the decline. And I think I threw up in my mouth a little when you said the Kings cup run was a fluke. :picard: THEY STEEM ROLLED their way to the cup. It looked like they were playing little girls on figure skates. They honestly might have a dynasty on their hands. I don't see why they can't do what they did again. I mean they have the same roster pretty much.

As a Canucks fan, I'm scared sh*tless of what lies ahead for the Canucks next year.
Posted Image

Previously:

#35 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Agreed. Somehow, I don't think there'd be so much vitriol towards and questions about the legitimacy of Bleacher Report if the article was instead about why Shane Doan's going to be picking Vancouver, or why the Canucks will win the President's Trophy again.

Very reasonable article. Most valid point, IMO, is related to other teams getting better. Very soon, our division will definitely not be the league's punch line.

#36 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

My response

6. LA won't make it that far, since they said it was hard to get back and I think it was a fluke honestly they just caught fire at the right time, Nashville has gotten alot worse, Detriot isn't as good, Chicago isn't nearly the team they once were, San Jose isn't as good as they once were, St.Louis has gotten better, Minnesota won't make the playoffs, any other probably wont do anything in the playoffs if they make it., I'm not sure what the competition in the west is, the East has gotten alot better but the West has remained the same.

I like our chances this year, and that's all we should be focused on, if something happens they we can make changes accordingly for the next season's but right now we only have to worry about this season, and we have one or two more moves to make and I think we will be the best team in the West.

I wouldn't underestimate LA at all. Their Stanley Cup winning team is still intact, plus they still have solid trading pieces to improve. Say what you want about them catching fire, but they've done really well after they made good changes to their team by getting a new coach and improving at the trade deadline. They've got a solid core and I wouldn't be surprised to see them competing at the top for years.

Edited by ButterBean, 12 August 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#37 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Everything you say here is all opinion. Maybe Kesler won't return to form, maybe the Sedins will be on the decline. And I think I threw up in my mouth a little when you said the Kings cup run was a fluke. :picard: THEY STEEM ROLLED their way to the cup. It looked like they were playing little girls on figure skates. They honestly might have a dynasty on their hands. I don't see why they can't do what they did again. I mean they have the same roster pretty much.

As a Canucks fan, I'm scared sh*tless of what lies ahead for the Canucks next year.

I think there team was good enough.

But I meant they way they caught fire was a fluke, they got a ton of confidence because of how bad we played and caught fire, or else I doubt that team would have been able to go all the way like they did.

They don't have a dynasty, a dynasty is a team will hall of fame players and more than one, It's too early to tell for most of them but I don't think they have that.

I'm not scared, I think our team is better than there's, they will have that championship following them around all year. and if you compare the two team's (ours and there's) I think our offense is just as good if not better, Goaltending could be just as good, Quick is better but Schneider is good enough not to cost us and to back us up without faltering, I think our defense is better, they have Doughty but as an overall defense I do think ours is better.

Some of it may be opinion but there are some true points, I'm not why your scared I like our chances, LA are last year's champions, and they won't be able to play at that top level like they did all next season.

And with our team, I like our chances.

zackass.png

#38 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

I don't believe in "windows", I think the Canucks will be contenders for many years to come. they'll evolve into a greater team over time... they're hungry to get back to that cup.. and they will get back to it...

And what makes you say that, the fact that they have such a bumper crop(insert sarcasm) of top flight prospects on the horizon? Whether you believe in windows or not, the Canucks might have a good opportunity to win the cup in the next two years and after that, Edmonton and Minnesota will blow past them because of their wealth of young top level talent.

#39 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

I wouldn't underestimate LA at all. Their Stanley Cup winning team is still intact, plus they still have solid trading pieces to improve. Say what you want about them catching fire, but they've done really well after they made good changes to their team by getting a new coach and improving at the trade deadline.

Yeah they have gotten better, and they haven't lost anything so there team is good.

But they aren't gunna be able to play the way they did in the playoffs all through next season, and we should know with our experience going to the finals that going all that way and having a short summer takes alot out of you.

I think they will be playing better heading into the playoffs this year than last year but I doubt that they will be able to catch fire like they did last year.

zackass.png

#40 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Carol needs to Schram. Toughness was never this team's problem. Our problem was that we never had enough high-end offensive players that can put the puck in the back of the net. No one on this team can snipe.

Wrong! Toughness has been our problem and not just fighting and sticking up for each other, although that's been a HUGE problem too. It takes toughness to be able to go into the tough areas of the ice to score those dirty goals. And it takes a certain kind of toughness to be able to clear the front of the net, so that our goalies aren't being harrassed and run at every opportunity and have to worry more about guys crashing the net at will, rather than just stopping the puck. All of those are forms of toughness, and I as well as many believe that the Canucks lack it.

Edited by Drop Em, 12 August 2012 - 08:12 PM.

#41 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,594 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

Gillis,protect the Sedins.Protect Kesler.Two big wingers needed that are veterans.

Make some difficult moves,Gillis,like you said you would but just can't manage when out on the boat in the tropics fishing.

Get a d man that punishes.Garrison is not that guy.

Get to work and make some tough decisions.

Luo and healthy Kes and Sedins made you and AV look a lot better than you are portrayed to have ever been.

#42 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

And what makes you say that, the fact that they have such a bumper crop(insert sarcasm) of top flight prospects on the horizon? Whether you believe in windows or not, the Canucks might have a good opportunity to win the cup in the next two years and after that, Edmonton and Minnesota will blow past them because of their wealth of young top level talent.

I'm not holding out too much hope for the prospects myself... but this team does a good job of finding and molding great players... I think we'll be alright..
Posted Image

#43 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

But I meant they way they caught fire was a fluke, they got a ton of confidence because of how bad we played and caught fire, or else I doubt that team would have been able to go all the way like they did.

They don't have a dynasty, a dynasty is a team will hall of fame players and more than one, It's too early to tell for most of them but I don't think they have that.

I'm not scared, I think our team is better than there's, they will have that championship following them around all year. and if you compare the two team's (ours and there's) I think our offense is just as good if not better, Goaltending could be just as good, Quick is better but Schneider is good enough not to cost us and to back us up without faltering, I think our defense is better, they have Doughty but as an overall defense I do think ours is better.

Some of it may be opinion but there are some true points, I'm not why your scared I like our chances, LA are last year's champions, and they won't be able to play at that top level like they did all next season.

I'm not so sure our offense is equal or better yet. We'll have to see what improvements we make this season or before the deadline. A top 6 of:

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Penner/Gagne - Richards - Carter

is definitely much more balanced in terms of size/skill/grit and better built for the playoffs. Atleast in my mind. Plus their bottom 6 did excellent playing their roles like Stanley Cup champs do.

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

I'm not holding out too much hope for the prospects myself... but this team does a good job of finding and molding great players... I think we'll be alright..

"This team", or Brian Burke/David Nonis?

#45 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

I'm not so sure our offense is equal or better yet. We'll have to see what improvements we make this season or before the deadline. A top 6 of:

Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Penner/Gagne - Richards - Carter

is definitely much more balanced in terms of size/skill/grit and better built for the playoffs. Atleast in my mind. Plus their bottom 6 did excellent playing their roles like Stanley Cup champs do.

I think ours is good, Penner really didn't do much until the playoffs, so who knows how good he will be, Gagne was injured for the season so who know's how good he will be.

I think our top 3 is better than there top 3.

Sedins + Kesler > Kopitar + Carter + Richards

Burrows is probably equal to Williams, maybe better.

Brown is better than Booth, but then we also have Higgins and Hansen who have both been good and could be a good comparison against Penner, Gagne or whoever.

There bottom 6 guys stepped up but ours have shown that we can do that too, so it's not like they are a ton better.

I think our defense is better too I just think there's stepped up at the right time.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 12 August 2012 - 07:02 PM.

zackass.png

#46 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

Article is bang on. These are all fair questions that should be asked again and again.

In my opinion, the window is closing fast. Gillis has his work cut out for him.

#47 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Bleacher Report sucks........yawn

it will be ok fanboy
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#48 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

We dont need any more snipers. We need someone who can pass

Any more snipers? We don't have any snipers on this team. cody Hodgson was probably the closest this team had to a sniper.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 12 August 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#49 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

We have too much money in our D. Look at the Rangers. Under 4 mil for their 2 studs in Staal and Girardi. All you really need on D is maybe 2 two-way defensemen and the rest stay at home guys. Stay at home guys are always cheaper and focus more on keeping the puck out of the net. All of our D-men are supposedly two-way defensemen which I don't understand. They cost more and they're not as solid in their own end (except Hamhuis). I would have rather us get Allen at a million dollars less for 3 years than Jason Garrison for 6 years after 1 good season.

Look at the Kings. They have two puck movers in Doughty and Voynov, and the rest are just there to keep the puck out of the net. Why do you think Quick was a beast during the playoffs?
Posted Image

Previously:

#50 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

We have too much money in our D. Look at the Rangers. Under 4 mil for their 2 studs in Staal and Girardi. All you really need on D is maybe 2 two-way defensemen and the rest stay at home guys. Stay at home guys are always cheaper and focus more on keeping the puck out of the net. All of our D-men are supposedly two-way defensemen which I don't understand. They cost more and they're not as solid in their own end (except Hamhuis). I would have rather us get Allen at a million dollars less for 3 years than Jason Garrison for 6 years after 1 good season.

Look at the Kings. They have two puck movers in Doughty and Voynov, and the rest are just there to keep the puck out of the net. Why do you think Quick was a beast during the playoffs?

Because Quick is a beast, he carried that team into the playoffs, they were playing average, under 500 hockey but Quick was the reason they made it into the playoffs let alone the cup.

Now for the rest of your post.

I think having puck movers is a good thing, because the game is getting faster and you need guys that are two way defensemen that are mobile and can do everything proficiently like we have.

You can roll the pairs more evenly, they can be more relied on and in theory it makes it easier for the other pairs, and they can contain fast players and play in any situation, I think our defense is deep, and you need a good defense so I would take ours over a defense like LA where they have one or two guys that are puck movers and can play a solid two way game (although Voynov is more offensive) and then have some defensive stay at home guys who can skate very well. (speed wise)

Maybe having one or two (like we do with Alberts and did with Rome) is a good thing, but they aren't always needed, if your playing a fast team they can be a weak link and with the NHL getting faster it makes sense to have good skating defensemen, if you are playing a team with big forwards then maybe putting in Alberts instead of Tanev is a good idea.

But for the most part I think having reliable two-way puck moving defensemen on every pair is a huge asset.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 12 August 2012 - 08:01 PM.

zackass.png

#51 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

They probably have three or four years left, so unless we sign some big free agents or the Nicklas Jensens and Zack Kassians develop into first-liners, we'll probably fall apart.

This is how I see it as well, 3 years left maybe with the Sedin's, after that, unless some of our prospects develop into great players we would need to wheel and deal for players to continue as one of the better teams in the league or perhaps a rebuild will have to take place.

#52 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

My response

6. LA won't make it that far, since they said it was hard to get back and I think it was a fluke honestly they had a good enough team to do it but I like it was a bit flukey because just caught fire at the right time, or else they never would have gone on that run with the way they were playing prior. Nashville has gotten alot worse, Detriot isn't as good, Chicago isn't nearly the team they once were, San Jose isn't as good as they once were, St.Louis has gotten better, Minnesota won't make the playoffs, any other probably wont do anything in the playoffs if they make it., I'm not sure what the competition in the west is, the East has gotten alot better but the West has remained the same.

All you gave where best case scenarios , The Sedins both fell below a point a game and are not getting any younger and Kesler continues to have more major surgeries that are going to take a toll on his body and last season seemed to have a hard time bouncing back and who knows how well his body will respond after another and if Schneider starts this yr will he be able to play like a number 1 for 65 games and hopefully a long playoff run and if Kassian comes back for next season playing anything like he did last season it will show he needs to develop more in Chicago , As for all the teams you have under estimated shows how ignorant you are.

Edited by ccc44, 12 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#53 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

One of the most accurate posts of this thread.

All those points she brings up are legitimate.
Posted Image

#54 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Strong sense of denial in this thread...what 1 cup final since lockout... And regression the immediate season after... And that means we're cup favourites this year

Seriously... Come on people, give your head a shake :picard:

#55 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

the old saying

"when one window closes another one opens"

it's all good

good article

imagine a 5 Mill Kess with health issues..kinda spooky
and the twins on IR for weeks

even more spooky

this article just makes you over-think things

#56 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,037 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

Because Quick is a beast, he carried that team into the playoffs, they were playing average, under 500 hockey but Quick was the reason they made it into the playoffs let alone the cup.

Now for the rest of your post.

I think having puck movers is a good thing, because the game is getting faster and you need guys that are two way defensemen that are mobile and can do everything proficiently like we have.

You can roll the pairs more evenly, they can be more relied on and in theory it makes it easier for the other pairs, and they can contain fast players and play in any situation, I think our defense is deep, and you need a good defense so I would take ours over a defense like LA where they have one or two guys that are puck movers and can play a solid two way game (although Voynov is more offensive) and then have some defensive stay at home guys who can skate very well. (speed wise)

Maybe having one or two (like we do with Alberts and did with Rome) is a good thing, but they aren't always needed, if your playing a fast team they can be a weak link and with the NHL getting faster it makes sense to have good skating defensemen, if you are playing a team with big forwards then maybe putting in Alberts instead of Tanev is a good idea.

But for the most part I think having reliable two-way puck moving defensemen on every pair is a huge asset.

Too much money in a cap era. I mean look at Ballard. 4.2 mil for a guy who can't even play his position. Look at MAG. I don't know what the hell he's trying to do out there. Looks like Disney on ice. if we would have had say Allen and Klesla as our bottom pairing last year, I think our team would not only be better defensively, but we would also save money to go after forwards. I just keep thinking, if Allen had the puck instead of Hamhuis on that series winning goal, he wouldn't have goofed around with the puck. He would have done the classic dump. Two-way d-men are great, but sometimes they just lack the fundamental knowledge required to play defense.
Posted Image

Previously:

#57 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

All you gave where best case scenarios , The Sedins both fell below a point a game and are not getting any younger and Kesler continues to have more major surgeries that are going to take a toll on his body and last season seemed to have a hard time bouncing back and who knows how well his body will respond after another and if Schneider starts this yr will he be able to play like a number 1 for 65 games and hopefully a long playoff run and if Kassian comes back for next season playing anything like he did last season it will show he needs to develop more in Chicago , As for all the teams you have under estimated shows how ignorant you are.

Hey man it's just my opinion right, like agree or not It's my opinion I'm not saying everyone else is wrong that's just the way I see it.

Anyways as for your points, yes the Sedin's didn't have the best year but I think the grind of going all the way last year and I think that affected alot of people and that was why alot of them struggled, that's why I think LA won't go that far in the playoffs, they might, they have the talent but the grind of going all the way before can really affect it and we should all know that first hand.

Kesler won't have the year he did in 10/11, he's gunna miss a good chunk of the year but he is still just as talented, he will probably have the same point and goal totals as last year but I think if he can stay healthy after that he can be a consistent 30+ goal and 60-70+ point scorer, his shot hasn't gotten worse, he's still as fast, you know he's still has that skillset so I don't see any reason why he won't be as good eventually.

I've said before that I think the "Schneider not being able to handle 60+ games" thing is just an excuse from big Luongo fans (which I consider myself) because they don't wanna see Lu go, but that's my opinon, I think he has been tested enough.

Kassian will be better, I think that's safe to say definitively that he will be. He's a young player and from all reports he has been training like a madman, he's young and he is growing so he will be a better player, who knows how much better, but he will be better I just hope he gets the full opportunity to show what he can bring.

As for those other teams and me under estimating them, anything can happen in the playoffs but the way I look at it now, I think we have one of the best chances in the West, LA has that Cup lingering and I see them going through what Boston did last year, Nashville & Detriot have gotten worse, that's just a fact not me being ignorant, San Jose has gotten better and maybe they will be the best but as a gut feeling I think they will be the same way they have been over the last few years, there top stars are getting older and Niemi hasn't been everything they expected. Chicago won't win a cup unless they can get consistent goaltending, you just can't win a cup without that, not to mention they lost Hossa for who knows how long, St.Louis will be the biggest competition cause there young and I could see them making it to the confrence final easily and potentially the cup final. I think the East got better and we got worse, Minnesota will have a tough time with that defense so I don't think they will make the playoffs.

So you know really think about it, LA won the cup last year, that's last year so there's no guarentee they will be the team they were, they just caught fire and played amazing and who knows if they will be able to play that way again, they have the potential but who knows right.

So I think we have improved and we will make more moves before the season starts so I do like our chances.

zackass.png

#58 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

ummm duh...news flash you arent gonna stay at this level for ever.

we have another two years with this crop of players....after that who knows where this team will be

Innnnn...... Vancouver?

Posted Image

#59 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Too much money in a cap era. I mean look at Ballard. 4.2 mil for a guy who can't even play his position. Look at MAG. I don't know what the hell he's trying to do out there. Looks like Disney on ice. if we would have had say Allen and Klesla as our bottom pairing last year, I think our team would not only be better defensively, but we would also save money to go after forwards. I just keep thinking, if Allen had the puck instead of Hamhuis on that series winning goal, he wouldn't have goofed around with the puck. He would have done the classic dump. Two-way d-men are great, but sometimes they just lack the fundamental knowledge required to play defense.

First off, I think they all have the fundamental knowledge or else they wouldn't be in the NHL.

Anyways about Ballard, I can understand if we need cap space, but we don't need that cap space for something else right now right, he fits well in our line-up with Tanev so just keep him, if we need cap space or there's an upgrade avaliable then look at for sure but right now we can keep him under the cap and still have room for other things.

You make a good point about Hamhuis, but I also think that Hamhuis does things that are vital to our success that Allen can't do, Hamhuis is our best defensemen (imo) and I wouldn't wanna replace him with Allen.

zackass.png

#60 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,027 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'm confident we'll have a couple Cups by the end of the decade. Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian will be a nasty line to play against in 5-6 years. Follow that up with Schroeder and whoever we get in the Luongo trade and we're looking pretty good for the next 8-10 years.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.