The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Third Line Center

Googs

I think we can take a page from the oilers and learn to put the young talent in the lineup so they do build experience... that is the way you learn by hands on on the real deal.....spend too much time in the minors and you think they develop but the truth is they don't adapt. They may be developed but you can not compare the minors to the majors.... Oilers are smart that way... they have a very good group of players that will surprise alot of people.... put the young guns in and lets see how they do.. making mistakes is the best way to learn..... go canucks go

Gaunce needs to spend some time in Chicago....there is no use rushing him.

Hopefully Schroeder will prove to be a 2C for us while Kesler is out.

Ebbett is a possibility for 3C until we either get players in a trade or if we don't sign Arnott.

I hope to see Jensen in the lineup soon.

Agree to a point but the Nucks M.O is quite straight forward. AV expects strong two way play. Typically players coming out junior either aren't ready physically or they aren't ready defensively/mentally. As a result, they won't get much ice from AV (see Kassian, CoHo). The advantage of playing them in the minors is:

1. They build confidence playing against a slightly lower level of competition and where errors are seen as development to learn from vs. scrutinized so heavily by the fans/media, so less pressure and can learn.

2. They get more ice, ability to develop

3. They get higher quality ice (pp/pk). If they are expected to be a top two line player they get that ice, vs 3/4 line in the NHL if they are lucky.

4. They grow into men, and learn what it takes to compete day in day out at a higher level than they have played. Remember many of these guys are 18 yrs old..kids still.

5. No need to rush them, which is often a cause of busts in the NHL, too much pressure to perform when really just not ready for a number of reasons, physical, mental, maturity, etc...

So while your point is valid, there is also a train of thought that says 'easing' players in, can often be more beneficial, especially when they are not considered the 'sure thing' players like a top 5 guy might be. Given where we draft, the nucks method seems to make alot of sense to me.

I know that everyone thinks the Red Wings development system is the way to go but it is one of a kind. Their scouting department was top notch as was their player development. The Canucks do not have this, never have and it appears never will any time soon. This is not the way to go anymore anyways. There is a need for instant results in a salary cap world. This is proven in the NFL where 1st round players are expected to play right away. Sink or swim I say. Why wait three years to find out your highly touted prospect never really improved? Another three years at the AHL isn't going season them much. If you haven't made the big club after two training camps, start thinking of what your new career is going to be.

crack smoker...... why is it that because we don't let our rookies play on the first line that people think we don't develop our rooks.

kassian got lots of ice time to see what they had acquired.. and he was very sporadic with his play.. he was good a shift crap the next. physical one didn't notice him the next. understandable, i expect him to be better this year(if there is no lockout) with a full training camp

coho.... for a rookie got heaps of ice time.. more than he deserved....

we are not the oilers... we don't have to give our unproven rookies 15 mins of ice time...

I think Friesen is 2 years away and Gaunce is 3 years away from challenging for a spot.

Ebbett and Schroeder will battle it out for the temporary scoring line position at centre until Kesler arrives back.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hansen Lapierre Higgins

Kassian Schroeder/Ebbett Booth

Raymond Malhotra Pinnizotto/Weise/Volpatti etc.

I do, however, have a feeling that either Kassian gets sent down or one of Raymond, Hansen, Higgins or Booth + Schroeder will be included in the Luongo trade.

I'd sign Arnott anyways for this season, you can't have too many big guys with good shots for playing in the playoffs and that's what you'd get with Jason. I'd keep him around until Gaunce is ready for the 3rd line (unless Brendan pulls a Landeskog or HENRIQUE, which I would be THRILLED to see on this team). I also wouldn't put Schroeder in the Bottom 6 unless he's tough as nails like a Stephen Gionta, because small guys without the toughness would get crushed while trying to get the puck out along the boards.

Archived