The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Paralympics Thread

UMB

Welcome to the 14th Paralympic Games, also known as the London 2012 Paralympics!

The Paralympics will run from August 29 to September 9, 2012!

220px-London_Paralympics_2012.svg.png

This is the mascot of the 2012 Paralympic Games!

dzn_london2012_mascots_mandeville_sq.jpg

GO CANADA GO

Paralympics+Day+2+Swimming+EearmLosyf-l.jpg

With regards to coverage:

ONLINE STREAMING

For the first time in history, Canadians can watch live multiple online streams of Paralympic Summer Games throughout the 12 days of competition. The four digital streams will offer a total of 580 hours of live coverage. Three feeds will offer daily uninterrupted coverage of swimming, wheelchair basketball, and athletics, while the fourth channel will cover a range of sports and a will show a "best of" coverage from the day. All digital channels can be accessed from www.Paralympic.ca www.CTVParalympics.ca and www.RDSOlympiques.ca

In addition to the live streaming, the Consortium's digital coverage also includes a comprehensive video on demand and Paralympic news library available online and via mobile platforms.

TELEVISION

Daily highlights will be broadcast from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. EST showcasing the day's performances, medal winners, athlete interviews and event features. Complete coverage of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies will also be available on several networks including TSN2, Sportsnet One, RDS, and RDS2. A complete television broadcast schedule will be published in August.

Additionally, two of the features from the Consortium's "Difference Makers" series will feature Paralympians. Hosted by Rick Hansen (English) and Chantal Petitclerc (French), the series asks elite athletes to reveal inspiring stories of those who made a difference in their lives.

WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA

Supporting the online streaming and television broadcast initiatives will be athlete biographies, competition updates, results and photos on both www.paralympic.ca andwww.CTVParalympics.ca www.RDSolympiques.ca

In addition, the CPC partnered with the Consortium earlier this year to create its London 2012 Paralympic Games promotional campaign, Super Athletes. The Super Athletespotsare a dramatic and edgy look at some of Canada's best Paralympians in short vignettes identified by the nickname of the featured athlete. Examples include: The Shark, The Heat, The Professor and The Pit Bull. To view the entire library of Super Athlete videos

Canadians can also stay connected to the Paralympic Games through the CPC's Twitter and Facebook accounts (@CDNParalympics andwww.facebook.com/CDNParalympics)

The Team Canada Today Newsletter will be produced and available for download on the Canadian Paralympic Committee's website each and every day of the Games. Users can sign up for the newsletter distribution here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well 11 medals for canada already, 3 gold, 7 silver, 1 bronze, 8 from swimming and 3 in athletics!

Terrific! Some really inspiring stories.

I was playing tennis today when two ladies in wheelchairs came onto the court next to us. One of them was in her late 20's and the other was late 40's I'd say. They had just gotten specially designed wheelchairs to enable them to play tennis and they've just joined up in a beginner's league that they play or practice in every day to try and improve. The 5 other courts around us were being used and when these ladies started playing, everyone else stopped their rallies to watch. They had such a good attitude - laughing about missed shots, talking about how they needed to improve, and even sparing a moment to retrieve one of my stray tennis balls and tell me that I had made a good shot. No bitterness, no anger about their situation. Just happiness about the fact that they were out there.

When I was leaving I waited till they took a water break because I had to tell them how amazing and inspiring they were. I almost wanted to apologize to them because so often I've been told that I can't do something that I've really believed in like being a pro athlete and I've just kind of taken it lying down and said "ok, so and so said I can't do it so I guess that means I can't." These ladies have had their ability to walk taken away and they're still out on the courts trying to make the best of what they do have. It was the most inspiring thing I've seen in a long time.

Every paralympic athlete has a similar story. Whether or not they win a medal is irrelevant - what they've done in being there is a victory in itself.

Terrific! Some really inspiring stories.

I was playing tennis today when two ladies in wheelchairs came onto the court next to us. One of them was in her late 20's and the other was late 40's I'd say. They had just gotten specially designed wheelchairs to enable them to play tennis and they've just joined up in a beginner's league that they play or practice in every day to try and improve. The 5 other courts around us were being used and when these ladies started playing, everyone else stopped their rallies to watch. They had such a good attitude - laughing about missed shots, talking about how they needed to improve, and even sparing a moment to retrieve one of my stray tennis balls and tell me that I had made a good shot. No bitterness, no anger about their situation. Just happiness about the fact that they were out there.

When I was leaving I waited till they took a water break because I had to tell them how amazing and inspiring they were. I almost wanted to apologize to them because so often I've been told that I can't do something that I've really believed in like being a pro athlete and I've just kind of taken it lying down and said "ok, so and so said I can't do it so I guess that means I can't." These ladies have had their ability to walk taken away and they're still out on the courts trying to make the best of what they do have. It was the most inspiring thing I've seen in a long time.

Every paralympic athlete has a similar story. Whether or not they win a medal is irrelevant - what they've done in being there is a victory in itself.

Boy did we fail this year. 7 gold, 14 silver, 9 bronze for 30 total after 19 gold, 10 silver and 21 bronze for 50 total in Beijing.. Ranked 7th in gold to 20th.....ranked 10th in total medals to 13th....

still proud of our paralympic athletes...it takes hard work, deication and perserverance to compete in an olympics, you have o work extremely hard because you dont always have what others do. the final result wasnt nrcessarily great but to think how hard the paralympic athletes had to work is touching

still proud of our paralympic athletes...it takes hard work, deication and perserverance to compete in an olympics, you have o work extremely hard because you dont always have what others do. the final result wasnt nrcessarily great but to think how hard the paralympic athletes had to work is touching

Absolutely agreed.

The paralypmics is one sporting stage where I think just being there is the greatest victory of all. All the athletes are defying medicine and science by overcoming their disabilities and it is very inspiring to witness their fighting spirit.

Archived