Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

**If the Canucks win the cup on a shortened lockout seaon...**

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,827 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

The Vancouver Millionaires who won the cup in 1915 (Hence my nickname), played a best of 5 against Ottawa. They did not have a playoff to be the Pacific Coast Hockey Association champion, it was whomever had the best record in the season.

Ottawa played a two game series in the NHA (There was no NHL yet) and the team with the most goals won the O'Brien Cup and got to play for the Stanley Cup. I don't hear anyone complaining that Vancouver had played two games less than Ottawa.

A cup win is a cup win. I also don't hear many people discrediting Montreal's record of cup wins since they played in a league with six teams and up to only 10 at one point prior to 1968.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 13 August 2012 - 08:22 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#62 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

The kind of people who take a helicopter halfway up Everest and then attempt to summit are the type most likely to die on the mountain. Check out Jon Krakauer's book Into Thin Air.

That metaphor is just all kinds of garbage in relation to hockey and you should stop repeating it ad nauseum.

#63 CrousettCanuck

CrousettCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

BUT, then again, because all other teams will have an equal chance and play the same exact amount of teams (82 or no 82), it is pretty much the same. Someone has to win the Cup.

Edited by CrousettCanuck, 13 August 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#64 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

way to repeat... Think about this.. The climber who started at the bottem has an easier time getting to the top because the top got worn down from the season.. Or the climber who started at the mid point has a tougher finish because the top started at the same time and has a lot more energy.... Wait this is a terrible comparison......

The Playoffs are going to be a difficult beast to win no matter when it starts. All teams play the same amount of games so yes less game to enter the playoffs but all the teams have more energy from not having to do the grind of the season.

I think what he means here is, the one starting from the bottom has time to condition for the grind at the top. The one starting at mid-point, has to overcome those that are ready for anything.? Maybe? I sort of get it, but... lol

As so many have stated; I want to see the Canucks hoist the damn cup! I do NOT care how long the regular season is! lol

#65 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

As long as there are still 4 rounds in the playoffs it doesn't matter

Yeah, but even then, should there be an asteriks besides the teams that won in fewer rounds, or when there were fewer teams in the league?

Every team knows how important the Cup is and if there was only one or two rounds, or a shortened season, it would make the competition just that much fiercer.

#66 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

given the history of this franchise op and everybody else here has nothing to worry about.

Edited by winacup, 13 August 2012 - 09:31 PM.

Posted Image

#67 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yes, will be incredibly awesome to watch.
Posted Image

#68 Canucksfor2012

Canucksfor2012

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Imagine we had drafted Kopitar instead of Bourdon... (RIP Luc)

2014 Yahoo! Fantasy Team:

Jamie Benn - Steven Stamkos - Tyler Seguin | Joe Pavelski - Patrice Bergeron - Max Pacioretty

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Jakub Voracek

W: Ondrej Palat, Filip Forsberg | F: Tyler Toffoli, Frans Nielsen

Benched: Ryan Callahan, Nick Foligno, Evgeny Kuznetsov

Shea Weber - Victor Hedman|Mike Green - Roman Josi|Sami Vatanen - Andrew MacDonald

Benched: Jared Spurgeon, Michael Stone, Kris Russell, Jason Garrison, Johnny Boychuk

Kari Lehtonen | Pekka Rinne | Antti Niemi

#69 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

I DON'T CARE, SHOW ME THE SILVER CHALICE !

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#70 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

If we win the cup, who cares if the season was shortened? I certainly wouldn't, and I bet most other Canucks fans wouldn't care either. I don't care how we win it, as long as we do.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#71 Nancouver

Nancouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

The Canucks could cure aids while winning the cup during a schedule that had them playing a season that played double the games against top ten teams and the haters would still find something to hate about us.

I would suggest to ignore them, they have no worth.

This is true, although ignoring them is quite the chore sometimes.

#72 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

haters will always find a reason to hate the Canucks.

Might as well embrace the hate :bigblush:

And winning the cup will obviously be sweeter. Hope the boys are well rested and will be ready to play well again soon. It's been a very long post-season.

Edited by Cindilette, 13 August 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#73 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

will it be as sweet???

It would be sweeter than '94 was for the Expos.

The Expos were 74 - 40, on pace to win around 100+ games, and might well have won the World Series, when the season ended early due to a player's strike, and the playoffs were cancelled.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#74 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Pretty sure the Devils didn't care in 95.

#75 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

as long as the cup is here.. we don't care...

but shorter season tend to be more tighter in standing.. so points are more important.. so if u have a bad start or a bad stretch of games, your season might be over..

#76 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

One question that I have is whether the players still get paid on their contracts during a lockout? eg. Minny has to pay Parise and Suter but that is thier signing bonus.
Wasn't there a dispute with some of the players during the last lockout because thier contracts had to be paid even in a stoppage?

A player need to be on the injury reserved list to get paid, so a guy like Kesler wouldn't be paid during a lock-out this year because he was playing during our last game. During the previous lock-out two names come in my mind when I think about players who have been paid. Steve Moore who have been injured by Todd Bertuzzi, everybody remember, even if some people here with what they wrote seem to be too young to remember that. The other was Scott Stevens, I remember Martin Brodeur was mad at him, because he was sure Stevens could come back on ice and help the Devils, but he didn't went back on ice so he get paid during the lock-out.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#77 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:00 AM

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up them climbing to the top...

Bad analogy. All the teams are being air-lifted to the same point.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#78 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I dont know if anyone mentioned this.
Part of the reason some of you think it would be less of a win, than a full season, cause of the grind.

But if they do have a shortened season it will be more intense.
More games per week, more back to back games.
which means more travel each week too.

Sort of like 82 games in 6 months.
Or 50 games in 3 months.

#79 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

If they win after a shortened season, just like if they win after a regular season, they will have won because they beat all of the other teams who played the same number of games. It doesn't get more fair than that.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#80 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Fans won't care how we win it. Other teams fans will have pictures, comments, etc. trashing the team saying that we only won it because the NHL was shortened. At the end of the day, it will still be a grinding battle, thats what the playoffs are.

There was a lock-out in 94/95 season i believe, and i'm sure whoever won the cup that season (can't remember who it was) didn't really care how they won it.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#81 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

as much as I, and many other people would agree that winning the cup in a shortened season would not be any different than winning it in a regular full season; the playoffs are where the cup is awarded and the playoff format would not change. I do think there will be those who want to detract from the victory if the Canucks win. However those people are likely the ones who are unwilling to give the Canucks credit for anything.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#82 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Bad analogy. All the teams are being air-lifted to the same point.

I'm comparing this years shortened season stanley cup champs to previous stanley cup champs

#83 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

A short season will benift the Canucks. As we recalled last year with around 30 games left the team, stopped trying and were saving it, for the playoffs. But yea, a short season will benift a team like the Canucks.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#84 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

What if...

Assuming the entire season is cancelled, would the NHL not have another draft lottery similar to what they had in 2005? While the Canucks would have only a very small chance, it would likely be their only shot at getting MacKinnon.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 14 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#85 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

as much as I, and many other people would agree that winning the cup in a shortened season would not be any different than winning it in a regular full season; the playoffs are where the cup is awarded and the playoff format would not change. I do think there will be those who want to detract from the victory if the Canucks win. However those people are likely the ones who are unwilling to give the Canucks credit for anything.

until they win a cup they're not deserving of credit for anything.
Posted Image

#86 beast1u

beast1u

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

"It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning."

#87 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

until they win a cup they're not deserving of credit for anything.

that does not even make sense. They do not deserve credit for winning a cup until they they have, however they do deserve credit for anything they have accomplished.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#88 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

nothing else matters.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.