The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**If the Canucks win the cup on a shortened lockout seaon...**

carlweezer

I agree with what appears to be the general consensus thus far, a cup is a cup. I would love it no less if it were a shortened season, you still get the playoffs which is where its won (once qualified for them of course :P ).

Guest Gumballthechewy

I wouldn't really care, as long as the playoffs are the same length. I think its bull to say there will be an asterisk next to the Stanley Cup championship, all teams play the same amount of games so it's not like the winner will gain a big advantage from a shortened season.

A win is a win....if the Canucks win it in a shortened season, their names will still be on the Cup.

Then they just have to go out and win it the folowing year.

By the number of players that are having surgeries to fix things that they have been playing with, you can almost guarantee that there will be a lockout. Trevor Linden pointed out that the US teams really don't lose that much because they are facing stiff competition (from other leagues like the NFL,basketball etc) for fan dollars and the US teams don't really lose much if they end the lockout by the end of December.

The big television contract that they signed last time will be in jeopardy (when it comes up for renewal) if the network doesn't have the games to broadcast as agreed.

If all our players can come back 100% healthy when this is resolved, it could be a win win for the Canucks.

One question that I have is whether the players still get paid on their contracts during a lockout? eg. Minny has to pay Parise and Suter but that is thier signing bonus.

Wasn't there a dispute with some of the players during the last lockout because thier contracts had to be paid even in a stoppage?

A Cup win in a significantly shortened season will always be one with an asterix by it. It's not the same. It will seem like a lesser accomplishment next to other years where a full season was played. Part of what makes the Cup so great is that it is so difficult to win, and part of what makes it so difficult is the grind of the regular season that you have to survive just to get a shot at the playoffs.

60 games is about right for a season anyways. The longer the season the more toll is taken on players' bodies, although it does help them (and the League) make more money. In any case, seasons in the past have been shorter, do those cups have asterisks beside them? The answer is no.

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up them climbing to the top...

will it be as sweet???

I know that after the Miami Heat won the NBA finals all the detractors were out in full force saying it will be a championship with an asterisk beside it..

How will you guys feel if we win the cup this year but its a shortened season say around 60 reg season games?

I personally would rather win it from start to finish on a full season, winning it on a shortened season might take some of the glory from me...

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up then climbing to the top...

But who knows, 10 yrs from now will we remember that it was a lockout season?

While on topic with lockout i have a few questions for you:

1. If its a full season lockout how does the draft lottery work?? does everyone have the same amount of ping pong balls in the draw?? This would be AMAZING just to have a chance at Mackinnon, Seth Jones, Barkov or Shinkaruk!without having to suck all year and be miserable like the Oilers blue print. I cant remember how it worked out the year the Pens won the lockout lottery for Crosby. (ps thats pretty obvious that was rigged since Pitt was about to go Bankrupt, Bettman you idiot, I guess he saved a franchise tho)

2. What if a CBA isnt resolved until next summer, does Edler, Burrows etc become automatic free agents without having the alotted time period for us to sign them and no other contact with a different team until July 1? that would be a disaster but imagine all the UFAs that will hit the market at the same time....Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Clowe, Roy, Hartnell, Edler,Semin, Ribiero,Zajac,Fillpula etc etc

Archived