The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. Facebook page calls for American-only Costco shopping times

-Vintage Canuck-

U.S. Facebook page calls for American-only Costco shopping times:

A U.S. Facebook page that takes aim at Canadians allegedly running rampant in a local Costco is generating a lot of chatter from both sides of the border.

The page, dubbed "Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans," was started by an apparently disgruntled resident of Bellingham, Washington, complaining that it had become nearly impossible to shop at a local Costco due to the high volume of Canuck bargain hunters

The Canadians were allegedly lined up in droves to purchase milk and gasoline at lower U.S. prices, and the creator of the page called for a special shopping window reserved just for Americans.

"You all been there. its hard to find a parking spot. Them Canadians can be rude. The lines are crazy. We aren't on a vacation and have an RV to hang out in like those Canadians. We just want to go shopping, not go on an adventure (sic)," reads an early post.

As of Monday afternoon, the Facebook page has more than 2,200 likes and has spawned countless online debates and discussions.

Some Canadians have posted apologies on behalf of their countrymen.

"I'm a Canadian and I just want to apologize for the rude behaviour of the Canadians you guys are complaining about...when we go down to your Costco, I get embarrassed about having BC plates on my car," wrote Ross Ferguson.

Another purported Canadian, going by the name Art Buffe, said many Canadians have little choice but to go on cross-border shopping excursions.

"The reason we are forced to go shop in your city in the first place is because of the tax burdens that are placed on us up here. Right now we are paying the equivalent of $5.18 for a gallon of regular gas and $5 for a gallon of milk. The cost of living here has risen so much and many of us have had our wages frozen," he wrote.

"We need to seek out the best bargains possible in order to survive."

He also pointed out that Canadian shoppers, while they may represent an annoyance to locals, also contribute greatly to the U.S. economy.

Aimee Clifford simple wrote: "FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS."

The creator of the page eventually explained that it wasn't meant as an attack on Canadians, but rather was intended to raise awareness among local officials about how Bellingham's municipal regulations are negatively affecting businesses.

"Bellingham has laws that keep big box companys (sic) from expanding. The overcrowding in this small slow paced town has agitated people," the post said.

http://www.ctvnews.c...-times-1.912415

Can't really blame the Canadian shoppers when the prices here are ridiculously high.

Here is a link to the Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bellingham-Costco-needs-a-special-time-just-for-Americans/152699958200765

""You all been there. its hard to find a parking spot. Them Canadians can be rude. The lines are crazy. We aren't on a vacation and have an RV to hang out in like those Canadians. We just want to go shopping, not go on an adventure (sic)," reads an early post."

DEY TUK OUUUUURRRRR JOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBS!

That is what played through my head while I read that guys post.

Archived