The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. Facebook page calls for American-only Costco shopping times

-Vintage Canuck-

Really?? I've had the opposite experience. Every time I travel in US, I find the residents to be friendly and helpful, especially when it comes to getting directions. I actually have bad interactions with Canadians whether I've been to US or travelling inside BC. I actually find people in Vancouver and BC to be generally stuck ups. At skytrain stations you have bunch of idiots who push their way into the skytrain without allowing people to get off. One time I also had a confrontation with a BC resident, because they thought my broken down car was in their lawn (which was not). Although Canadians from other provinces are really nice.

Consume your consumerism, consumer.

I need a pallet load of twinkies and these damn Canadians are in my way!

As if he couldn't get fuel at another station beforehand?

Anyways, back when the Candian dollar was at a all time low, you couldn't get a hotel room in Whistler durning the peak times of the season. All booked out to Americans, I don't remember us asking for a Canadian only weekend. I know the situations aren't very similar but they're equally ridiculas.

A subsequent article from CBC regarding this issue has revealed that Americans are not necessarily frustrated with Canadians, generally speaking, but rather with the lack of infrastructure which currently cannot support the large influx of Canadians shoppers into what is a relatively small town.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-page-calls-american-only-hours-u-costco-202327257.html

"To our Canadian friends on here that think we hate you: You have to look at the root of the problem. Bellingham has laws that keep big box companys from expanding. The overcrowding in this small, slow paced town has agitated people," the note said.

A spokesperson for Costco said the Bellingham store is bursting at the seams, and that the company would love to expand the Bellingham store.

It would also like to install more lines and pumps at its gas station, but there's no room to do so on the current property.

I think the American's frustrations are legitimate as are the Canadian defencive postures after having a few of our friends to the south take out their frustrations on some of us.

At the end of the day, I think the rhetoric and finger pointing is useless and unproductive. Americans will have to accept the influx of shoppers, and Canadians will have to be mindful of their presence, which can be overwhelming for a small town.

Heated vitriol back and forth between such good friends doesn't serve either of us, and to be honest is beneath us Cascadians. When the apocalypse comes, we'll need each other to fend off the Mutant Zombie Jesuslanders from the South and the East. It's best we all stock up at Costco peacefully and respectfully as the good friends we are.

I didn't know that there were people who wanted *more* big box stores in their neighbourhood. Or wanted *bigger* big box stores. Or at least want these things to start an online campaign of some sorts.

I go to that Costco quite often. The gas station is busy but the actual store? Yeah, busy but every Costco in the world is busy. I don't find it particularly any busier than the ones in the Lower Mainland. Busy is the Costco concession stand near Rogers Arena before a Canucks game.

And for people who go further down South to the Costco in Burlington (a 20 minute drive, btw--how many darn Costco's do the people of Bellingham want?), I find that one wayyyyy busier.

Most of Bellingham's revenue comes from Canadian tourists/shoppers. It is NOT a coincidence that non boarder towns in Washington St are not doing nearly as well.

If they REALLY think their local economy is (relatively) good compared to other small cities around them because of themselves they are delusional.

This news apparently reached the U.K too.

I saw pictures at the UK newspaper about people buying bulks of milk (whole cart full). As a Canadian, it baffles me. What do these people do with that much milk?

I don't go to the states for cross-border shopping. My parents does sometimes (once ever 3-5 months). When they do, they only buy two jugs of milk (one for us and one for both my nephews). We can hardly finish one jug of milk.

I now can see why some Americans are mad but this should have been handled in a more civilized manner. Don't think this facebook group will make much difference except a few people boycotting and going to the one at Burlington

Archived