The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 Goals By Canucks Defencemen | 2011-12

bure's triple deke

*Below is a shortened version of the full article on my Bure's Triple Deke blog, which you can read in its entirety here: http://burestriplede...re-canucks.html

For virtually as long as the Canucks have been in existence, they have lacked a bonafide Norris Trophy candidate. This past year edition was no exception and neither will the next. But what the Canucks' blueline may lack in a world class player à la Shea Weber or Zdeno Chara, they make up for in, arguably, unparalleled depth. This was reflected in the Norris's most recent voting results, as the Canucks were one of only two teams to have three defencemen receive a vote for the award – Dan Hamhuis, Alex Edler and Kevin Bieksa.

Offensively, this was further exemplified by the Canucks' fifth-place ranking in the league for goals by defencemen, behind Nashville, Detroit, Los Angeles and Ottawa (see full article here for the full league rankings). So in salute of Vancouver's standout rearguards, here are the Top Five¹ of the group's 40 goals from last season:

Disagree with the order? Did I miss one? Have at 'er...

-HC

¹ Technically 4 of the Canucks defencemen's 40 goals, as Edler's shootout goal does not count towards official statistics. Bonus fact: Edler had four shootout goals to lead all league defencemen.

Edler vs Columbus should have been 1st IMO. Also I don't see why Salo's slap shot was 3rd. Bieksa's save at one end shoulda been like 2nd or 3rd or something, but Edler vs. Columbus was amazing

Nice vid.

That video really just reminds me of how bad Columbus is, lol. Kudos to Eddie for taking advantage of that horrendous gong show in the defensive end, but really, lol, that was some of the worst defending I've ever seen.

i understand why people don't think Edlers goal against columbus isn't that pretty. but in fact he saw the oppertunity to go for a coast-coast goal and exicuted it perfectly. Most goals are made because of mistakes and that goal is just mistakes by many players on the ice due to miscomunication.

Pretty nice selection on the vids. I love the Bieksa goal and it's even better that it happened in Colorado.

As a comment on the video itself, I found that the slow-motion editing really interrupted the flow of the presentation, especially with the lack of audio. I would suggest not doing the slow-mo cuts in the first presentation of each goal, save it for the replays, and maybe experiment with allowing the voice-over commentary, or at least edit in crowd noise, to keep playing while doing the slo-mo cuts.

Thanks for sharing, in any case.

Good post, good video,

The Bieksa was halarious and I thought was desearving the number 1 slot.

As for Ballard I think he desearved the number two spot, he started that play and raced up the ice and sneaked past the pittsburg defensement and beat Fluery, a pretty damn good goalie.

Edler vs CLB 3rd, I don't know why people are smacking him down for a nice play, Columbus definitely flopped down on that play but Edler still had the head and the skating ability to get past the 5 men on the ice of whom he caught off guard.

The other 2 were kind of meh to me.

In the ode to sami salo

I like Goal #8 the best

Archived