The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Bowness & Brown & Bring in Dave Babich & Marc Crawford as Ass.Coaches!

Pasific Coluseum

Ever since Ryan Walter got the short end of the stick/ the shaft (no pun intended) I've been miffed at the Canucks organization. With all due respect to Newell Brown & Rick Bowness they are not what this organization needs in terms of ass. coaches. It's time to turn over a new leaf and bring in some more qualified and suitable candidates!

2 words: Dave Babich! Why not? He's a well respected former NHL'er who had a very respectable career and 7 seasons with the Canucks to boot. His experience alone would automatically give him a leg up on our current coaches. Babich knows could run our defense and probably develop the dickens out of prospects like Connaughton, Gaunce, Tanev and make them NHL ready like right now.

So lets recap now. Fire Bowness and Brown and bring in Babich & Marc Crawford back into the mix.

The point I'm trying to make is that keeping Bowness and Brown is akin to eating an open bag of week old potato chips... STALE!

Aside from Garrison acquisition this teams needs some big changes if they wish to contend for another Stanley Cup. I'm tired of the mediocrity while teams like the Flyer's are willing to make BOLD moves that shake the foundation of their organization i.e Carter/Richards trade, Offer sheet Webber, Re-unite the Schenn brothers etc..

What problem do you have with Bowness and Brown, other than they've been working with the team for a while?

Just because bold moves are bold doesn't mean they're good. No point making big changes for no reason.

Our defence was absolutely brutal all of last season and even going back into 2011 playoffs. The only reason we aren't the worst defensive team in the NHL is because we have the best goalie tandem in the league covering their sorry asses. The way our defenders are coached is a joke - constantly told to take stupid risks that end up leading to odd man rushes and breakaways against time and time again.

That is not the defensive style that wins you a Cup. Boston, New Jersey, New York and Los Angeles have proved that in todays NHL, if you want playoff success you have to start with solid, stay-at-home, shutdown-styles of defences that grind opposing teams forwards down, not flimsy thin fast skating puck movers who get worn down by big bulky forwards and caught out of position because they're trying to pinch or jump up in the play.

Secondly, our PP tailed off in the worst way at the end of the last 2 seasons and was a big reason we were ousted, both against LA and Boston. I believe we fell from the best to worst powerplay in the NHL after around January last season, and gave up more shorthanded goals than PP goals scored against Boston and Los Angeles. These are not just unacceptable, but they kill momentum and our goalies don't have much of a chance on these short-handed odd man rushes against. Blame execution all you want, but the league has figured out our very simple powerplay tactics such as the stupid drop-pass and inability to take the shot, and coaching styles around the league are trumping our own.

It's time for a few fresh coaching changes. AV is doing a fantastic job but our defensive system and special teams are letting us down right now. We have the pieces with probably the best passers and most skilled #1 unit players in the NHL, as well as a nice mixture of offensive and shutdown defencemen now, we just have to play the right way and that starts with how the players are coached.

bowness is AVs right hand man, they go wayyy back, if u fire bowness, AV is gunna have to rearrange his game. Thus, crippling the coaching and player development just because u believe experience from the 80's and 90's will help a SC contending team. This is the new era, those tactics from the 80's & 90's aren't gunna cut it in this organization

Ever since Ryan Walter got the short end of the stick/ the shaft (no pun intended) I've been miffed at the Canucks organization. With all due respect to Newell Brown & Rick Bowness they are not what this organization needs in terms of ass. coaches. It's time to turn over a new leaf and bring in some more qualified and suitable candidates!

2 words: Dave Babich! Why not? He's a well respected former NHL'er who had a very respectable career and 7 seasons with the Canucks to boot. His experience alone would automatically give him a leg up on our current coaches. Babich knows could run our defense and probably develop the dickens out of prospects like Connaughton, Gaunce, Tanev and make them NHL ready like right now.

So lets recap now. Fire Bowness and Brown and bring in Babich & Marc Crawford back into the mix.

The point I'm trying to make is that keeping Bowness and Brown is akin to eating an open bag of week old potato chips... STALE!

Aside from Garrison acquisition this teams needs some big changes if they wish to contend for another Stanley Cup. I'm tired of the mediocrity while teams like the Flyer's are willing to make BOLD moves that shake the foundation of their organization i.e Carter/Richards trade, Offer sheet Webber, Re-unite the Schenn brothers etc..

Fire Bowness and Brown and replace with Babich (sp.) and Crow? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

As far as Ryan Walter is concerned, there isn't much that he's done to show he's a qualified Asst Coach in the NHL -- he had a decent NHL career as a player, is a rah-rah uber-positive man of faith who's supposedly a great motivational speaker, a smart business man, and great in community, but he didn't do much to bolster the coaching staff while he was around the Canucks.

Bring in Dave Babych to be asst. coach? Again, good playing career (but didn't live up to draft day expectations, when he was supposed to be the second coming of Denis Potvin...bit of trivia for CDCers: Babych was 2nd overall pick by the Winnipeg Jets in his draft year; who was picked ahead and after him and by whom?), great in the community and is a genuinely nice man, but has never publicly expressed an interest in coaching nor has he done anything to develop these skills.

As far as Crow is concerned, he's not asst. coach material. He's a head coach who has his own ideas of running a staff and I doubt he could co-exist with another alpha in the coaching pack. We've also seen the sort of success (or lack of) since his days in Denver and Vancouver, so his time is better served re-honing his coaching game in Europe.

Bowness and Brown aren't perfect, but they are life-time coaches with decent experience and varying degrees of success. The weakness in the coaching staff, as I see it, is with AV. The fact he admitted to not having a plan B in dealing with Daniel's head injury still troubles me.

So, firing B&B and replacing them with "Babich" and Crow is a bad idea.

Our current ass. coaches ( :lol: ) are the least of our worries.

Crawford is coaching in Zurich. So no dice there.

Just because a player has experience playing does not mean it'll translate into him being a good coach. See Wayne Gretzky and Rocket Richard.

Ass. Coach? How about ass clown?

:towel::canucks:

If you're firing the assistants you might as well fire AV then because we've already gone through a bunch of assistant coaches already.

If there is a season. And if the Canucks don't get to the conference finals I imagine Gillis will have to look at making a change with his coaching staff. This training camp and upcoming CHL and AHL season will be important because we will start to see if Gillis' drafting is leading to a deeper prospect pool or not. If we're not getting positive results from our picks, maybe there will be changes in our scouting staff. Having Arniel in Chicago should help our prospects development which is a good thing.

1- Crawford is coaching in Switzerland next year

2- How many Bold move as the Flyers made since making to cup finals (and even before)? Weber, Carter/Richards, Bryzgalov, etc. How many cup they have won?? Same as us.

Look at the Flyers this year, Lost Carle, Lost Jagr (he still helped those young guys and Giroux), they have 0 confidence in Bryz. I'm not sure the Flyers will be a force in the east this year.

While I will be the first to admit I have pondered getting rid of Bowness as he is in charge of our defense, which at times can look out of sorts when under pressure from a forecheck, but the reality is AV is the one in charge of the overall defensive strategy and is the guy behind the bench chewing his gum when we need a timeout.

So when we are on our heels and the forecheck has seperated our forwards from our defense and the defense has no options other than just giving up the puck over and over... I think the man in charge is the one who needs a kick in the pants. Not sure if firing is the answer, but public pressure from Gillis and Co would go along way to some accountability imho

Oh yeah that will solve our problems...

First off, it's spelled Babych.

Second, Crawford is already signed to coach in Europe. This is a guy who would prefer to be the head coach even if it beans going overseas. Good luck convincing him to be an assistant coach.

Third, shut-down defense? LA and Boston, particularly LA, have good D jumping on the rush and a rover like Doughty. They both play a puck possession game. Like what the Vancouver coaches preach.

Fourth, they coached a team that won two presidents trophies in a row. It wasn't the system that lost us the games in the playoffs. It was failure to execute, injuries, unlucky bounces and chokery among players.r

Archived