Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Fire Bowness & Brown & Bring in Dave Babich & Marc Crawford as Ass.Coaches!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

Ever since Ryan Walter got the short end of the stick/ the shaft (no pun intended) I've been miffed at the Canucks organization. With all due respect to Newell Brown & Rick Bowness they are not what this organization needs in terms of ass. coaches. It's time to turn over a new leaf and bring in some more qualified and suitable candidates!

2 words: Dave Babich! Why not? He's a well respected former NHL'er who had a very respectable career and 7 seasons with the Canucks to boot. His experience alone would automatically give him a leg up on our current coaches. Babich knows could run our defense and probably develop the dickens out of prospects like Connaughton, Gaunce, Tanev and make them NHL ready like right now.

So lets recap now. Fire Bowness and Brown and bring in Babich & Marc Crawford back into the mix.
The point I'm trying to make is that keeping Bowness and Brown is akin to eating an open bag of week old potato chips... STALE!

Aside from Garrison acquisition this teams needs some big changes if they wish to contend for another Stanley Cup. I'm tired of the mediocrity while teams like the Flyer's are willing to make BOLD moves that shake the foundation of their organization i.e Carter/Richards trade, Offer sheet Webber, Re-unite the Schenn brothers etc..

#2 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

"another stanley cup"

#3 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

What problem do you have with Bowness and Brown, other than they've been working with the team for a while?

Just because bold moves are bold doesn't mean they're good. No point making big changes for no reason.

#4 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

It's spelled "Babych"

Edited by EDLER.IS.BEAST, 14 August 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#5 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Ass. Coaches? :lol:

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#6 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

Our defence was absolutely brutal all of last season and even going back into 2011 playoffs. The only reason we aren't the worst defensive team in the NHL is because we have the best goalie tandem in the league covering their sorry asses. The way our defenders are coached is a joke - constantly told to take stupid risks that end up leading to odd man rushes and breakaways against time and time again.

That is not the defensive style that wins you a Cup. Boston, New Jersey, New York and Los Angeles have proved that in todays NHL, if you want playoff success you have to start with solid, stay-at-home, shutdown-styles of defences that grind opposing teams forwards down, not flimsy thin fast skating puck movers who get worn down by big bulky forwards and caught out of position because they're trying to pinch or jump up in the play.

Secondly, our PP tailed off in the worst way at the end of the last 2 seasons and was a big reason we were ousted, both against LA and Boston. I believe we fell from the best to worst powerplay in the NHL after around January last season, and gave up more shorthanded goals than PP goals scored against Boston and Los Angeles. These are not just unacceptable, but they kill momentum and our goalies don't have much of a chance on these short-handed odd man rushes against. Blame execution all you want, but the league has figured out our very simple powerplay tactics such as the stupid drop-pass and inability to take the shot, and coaching styles around the league are trumping our own.

It's time for a few fresh coaching changes. AV is doing a fantastic job but our defensive system and special teams are letting us down right now. We have the pieces with probably the best passers and most skilled #1 unit players in the NHL, as well as a nice mixture of offensive and shutdown defencemen now, we just have to play the right way and that starts with how the players are coached.
Posted Image

#7 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

bowness is AVs right hand man, they go wayyy back, if u fire bowness, AV is gunna have to rearrange his game. Thus, crippling the coaching and player development just because u believe experience from the 80's and 90's will help a SC contending team. This is the new era, those tactics from the 80's & 90's aren't gunna cut it in this organization

Posted Image

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,210 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

Why aren't you banned yet?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#9 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

if you think Bowness is our problem... well then..
Posted Image

#10 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Ever since Ryan Walter got the short end of the stick/ the shaft (no pun intended) I've been miffed at the Canucks organization. With all due respect to Newell Brown & Rick Bowness they are not what this organization needs in terms of ass. coaches. It's time to turn over a new leaf and bring in some more qualified and suitable candidates!

2 words: Dave Babich! Why not? He's a well respected former NHL'er who had a very respectable career and 7 seasons with the Canucks to boot. His experience alone would automatically give him a leg up on our current coaches. Babich knows could run our defense and probably develop the dickens out of prospects like Connaughton, Gaunce, Tanev and make them NHL ready like right now.

So lets recap now. Fire Bowness and Brown and bring in Babich & Marc Crawford back into the mix.
The point I'm trying to make is that keeping Bowness and Brown is akin to eating an open bag of week old potato chips... STALE!

Aside from Garrison acquisition this teams needs some big changes if they wish to contend for another Stanley Cup. I'm tired of the mediocrity while teams like the Flyer's are willing to make BOLD moves that shake the foundation of their organization i.e Carter/Richards trade, Offer sheet Webber, Re-unite the Schenn brothers etc..

Marc Crawford is working in Europe (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399749)

CRAWFORD TO COACH TEAM IN ZURICH

Marc Crawford is heading back behind the bench.

Crawford, who spent the recently completed NHL season as a member of the NHL on TSN broadcast team, is heading to Zurich, to coach the ZSC Lions in the Swiss National League A.

A native of Belleville, ON, Crawford was the head coach of the Quebec Nordiques, Colorado Avalanche, Vancouver Canucks, Los Angeles Kings and Dallas Stars.

While with the Canucks, Crawford marked himself as the longest-serving and winningest head coach in franchise history, coaching 529 games.

Highlights of Crawford's illustrious career include being awarded the Jack Adams Award for NHL Coach of the Year in 1995, winning a Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996, and coaching the Canadian men's hockey team at the Nagano 1998 Olympic Winter Games.

Prior to his coaching career, Crawford played 176 NHL games as a forward with the Vancouver Canucks and was a part of two Memorial Cup teams as a junior with the Cornwall Royals.

Maybe Babich would work well but why change the repeat presidents trophy winners.... We need a different process for the post season be it mental, training or execution.

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#11 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Fire Bowness and Brown and replace with Babich (sp.) and Crow? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

As far as Ryan Walter is concerned, there isn't much that he's done to show he's a qualified Asst Coach in the NHL -- he had a decent NHL career as a player, is a rah-rah uber-positive man of faith who's supposedly a great motivational speaker, a smart business man, and great in community, but he didn't do much to bolster the coaching staff while he was around the Canucks.

Bring in Dave Babych to be asst. coach? Again, good playing career (but didn't live up to draft day expectations, when he was supposed to be the second coming of Denis Potvin...bit of trivia for CDCers: Babych was 2nd overall pick by the Winnipeg Jets in his draft year; who was picked ahead and after him and by whom?), great in the community and is a genuinely nice man, but has never publicly expressed an interest in coaching nor has he done anything to develop these skills.

As far as Crow is concerned, he's not asst. coach material. He's a head coach who has his own ideas of running a staff and I doubt he could co-exist with another alpha in the coaching pack. We've also seen the sort of success (or lack of) since his days in Denver and Vancouver, so his time is better served re-honing his coaching game in Europe.

Bowness and Brown aren't perfect, but they are life-time coaches with decent experience and varying degrees of success. The weakness in the coaching staff, as I see it, is with AV. The fact he admitted to not having a plan B in dealing with Daniel's head injury still troubles me.

So, firing B&B and replacing them with "Babich" and Crow is a bad idea.

#12 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Our current ass. coaches ( :lol: ) are the least of our worries.

Crawford is coaching in Zurich. So no dice there.

Just because a player has experience playing does not mean it'll translate into him being a good coach. See Wayne Gretzky and Rocket Richard.

Ass. Coach? How about ass clown?

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#13 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Stupid idea
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#14 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,607 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

If you're firing the assistants you might as well fire AV then because we've already gone through a bunch of assistant coaches already.

If there is a season. And if the Canucks don't get to the conference finals I imagine Gillis will have to look at making a change with his coaching staff. This training camp and upcoming CHL and AHL season will be important because we will start to see if Gillis' drafting is leading to a deeper prospect pool or not. If we're not getting positive results from our picks, maybe there will be changes in our scouting staff. Having Arniel in Chicago should help our prospects development which is a good thing.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

My stupid meter just broke
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#16 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

1- Crawford is coaching in Switzerland next year

2- How many Bold move as the Flyers made since making to cup finals (and even before)? Weber, Carter/Richards, Bryzgalov, etc. How many cup they have won?? Same as us.

Look at the Flyers this year, Lost Carle, Lost Jagr (he still helped those young guys and Giroux), they have 0 confidence in Bryz. I'm not sure the Flyers will be a force in the east this year.

#17 Canucklehead73

Canucklehead73

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

While I will be the first to admit I have pondered getting rid of Bowness as he is in charge of our defense, which at times can look out of sorts when under pressure from a forecheck, but the reality is AV is the one in charge of the overall defensive strategy and is the guy behind the bench chewing his gum when we need a timeout.

So when we are on our heels and the forecheck has seperated our forwards from our defense and the defense has no options other than just giving up the puck over and over... I think the man in charge is the one who needs a kick in the pants. Not sure if firing is the answer, but public pressure from Gillis and Co would go along way to some accountability imho
Go Canucks Go!

#18 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Oh yeah that will solve our problems...

First off, it's spelled Babych.

Second, Crawford is already signed to coach in Europe. This is a guy who would prefer to be the head coach even if it beans going overseas. Good luck convincing him to be an assistant coach.

Third, shut-down defense? LA and Boston, particularly LA, have good D jumping on the rush and a rover like Doughty. They both play a puck possession game. Like what the Vancouver coaches preach.

Fourth, they coached a team that won two presidents trophies in a row. It wasn't the system that lost us the games in the playoffs. It was failure to execute, injuries, unlucky bounces and chokery among players.r

#19 Captain_Burrows

Captain_Burrows

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

Who would want Crawford coaching their ass?

"Alright ass, you go out on the ice and be the best ass you can be!"
I Should Be Laughing Right Now.

#20 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,582 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Yes, because we fared so much better in the playoffs with Crawford on the bench...
Posted Image

#21 Zackassian

Zackassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

"another stanley cup"

You forgot "contend for"

Not saying I agree with OP.
It's a split squad game.

#22 canuckster19

canuckster19

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,637 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

What problem do you have with Bowness and Brown, other than they've been working with the team for a while?

Just because bold moves are bold doesn't mean they're good. No point making big changes for no reason.

Which is exactly the way the coaching staff runs this team.
Posted Image
Trekkie Monster says: GO CANUCKS GO!

Please read the Board Rules

#23 JohnLocke

JohnLocke

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Can we seriously ban this kid? If you looks at all his threads, they are obviously attempts to troll as I hope nobody is that ridiculously stupid. This one isnt as bad as some of the others. He doesn't even respond after he makes these threads.

P.S. He still can't spell pacific...

"Don't tell me what I can't do!" 

Mafia Record: 8-7

Winning Streak: 1

#24 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

No, just no... Please stop
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#25 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

There is no way Crawford would take an assistant's job, or any way AV would have a "head coach in waiting" on his staff. As for "Babich" - you're a moron.

#26 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

The way our defenders are coached is a joke - constantly told to take stupid risks that end up leading to odd man rushes and breakaways against time and time again.

Do you seriously - I mean SERIOUSLY - think the coaches actually say "Go out there and take some stupid risks"? Or even infer such a thing? Easy to see why you agree with the OP. Neither of you has a clue.

#27 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

What's Marc Crawford going to do for us? Help our shootout?

(Yes, I still have not forgiven using Shanahan over Gretzky)

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#28 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

What's Marc Crawford going to do for us? Help our shootout?

(Yes, I still have not forgiven using Shanahan over Gretzky)

Don't you mean using Bourque over Gretzky?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#29 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Crawford an Ass? I'll buy that...an Assistant Coach? no way in hell would he take an assistant's job. None.
Posted Image

#30 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Don't you mean using Bourque over Gretzky?

• # 74 – Canada — Theo FLEURY — saved
  • # 21 – Czech Republic — Robert REICHEL — GOAL
  • # 77 – Canada — Ray BOURQUE — saved
  • # 26 – Czech Republic — Martin RUCINSKY — saved
  • # 25 – Canada — Joe NIEUWENDYK — saved
  • # 10 – Czech Republic — Pavel PATERA — saved
  • # 88 – Canada — Eric LINDROS — saved off post
  • # 68 – Czech Republic — Jaromir JAGR — hit post
  • # 14 – Canada — Brendan SHANAHAN — saved
either or...

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.