The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan/Sundin w.r.t. Kassian/Kesler.

The Nuckist

Gillis was a Sundin fan boy and cheer leader.

Unfortunately,we got a Sundin that wanted a payday for his bride- to- be lavish wedding costs.

Kassian is a junior prototype hopefully to replicate the playing style of Doan so there is some relevance in the OP's post.

I hope Doan dreams every night for a cup and wants to finish his career here as a Stanley Cup Winner.

That dream should enable the drive and work ethic that Kassian will hopefully emulate.

What do you expect Kes to say on CBC or Hockey Night in Toronto?

"Sundin came in and took my job.He was so out of shape but still took my minutes and still did not produce.I got so p.o.'d each and every night that I took my game to the next level.Sundin started to magically round into form when they put me alongside him but it was too little -too late.It was already late March when he finally wasn't winded from a shift over 30 seconds.Yeah,in the two months he was in shape he taught me all I learned and needed to know about my game.I am forever grateful to Mats."

As for the innuendo of having any player's agent's 'alleged' remarks meaning anything -they do not.

Gillis might have had his fair share of rival agent opposition so take it with a shaker of salt.

Hodgson's agent might have gotten under Mike's skin.How do we know the dynamics of player agents and their personal relationships?

I don't think it is Bieksa's business to protect his GM or straighten out what player's agents say or do on behalf of other players.

What do you expect Kes to say on CBC or Hockey Night in Toronto?

"Sundin came in and took my job.He was so out of shape but still took my minutes and still did not produce.I got so p.o.'d each and every night that I took my game to the next level.Sundin started to magically round into form when they put me alongside him but it was too little -too late.It was already late March when he finally wasn't winded from a shift over 30 seconds.Yeah,in the two months he was in shape he taught me all I learned and needed to know about my game.I am forever grateful to Mats."

Just as Naslund credited Messier for helping him overcome self doubt, the Sedins said similar things about Sundin as well:

Like their name plates, they have changed suddenly this season. They have transformed themselves from mere elite, first-line players into dynamic, world-class scorers. And this change has nothing to do with Samuelsson, but a lot to do with another Swede, Mats Sundin.

It turns out the Mats factor was not the disappointing 28 points in 41 games the one-year Canuck produced last season for $8.6 million U.S., but the impact Sundin's unwavering professionalism had on Daniel and Henrik.

"We have a different attitude toward the game," Daniel said before the Canucks travelled Sunday to Montreal for tonight's game against the Canadiens. "Looking at Mats, he had a tough start. It didn't bother him. He just came to the rink and did the same things over and over again. He knew it was going to pay off. He still kept his head high and by the playoffs he was awesome.

"We've always put a lot of pressure on ourselves. You learn to deal with that. But Mats put us over the top to see how he handled things."

Henrik said: "To see Mats out there, struggling, getting criticized, but still keeping his shifts short - he never played for himself. I think that's been a key for us."

I hardly doubt Sundin made Kesler anything in two months.

I also would think Kes -playing wing-knew how to protect the puck and knew how to shoot.

Some magical guru does not show up and change your career for you.These guys look at video of every player in the NHL over and over and over again.

Kes was being good for the Canadian audience.

Kes was being complimentary to the TO audience -after he began by stating that Sundin took his job and shoved him into a third line role.

Come on,Miller.Players figure out the game for themselves.Sure,Sundin gave him some pointers.So,does every coach and player he has ever met.

What would you expect him to say?

Reading Daniel's quotes-classy guy-do you think he is going to throw Sundin under the bus,a fellow Swede national player and comrade?

Throwing players under the bus is reserved for GM's when the heat is on and they cover their rear ends.

I hardly doubt Sundin made Kesler anything in two months.

I also would think Kes -playing wing-knew how to protect the puck and knew how to shoot.

Some magical guru does not show up and change your career for you.These guys look at video of every player in the NHL over and over and over again.

Kes was being good for the Canadian audience.

Kes was being complimentary to the TO audience -after he began by stating that Sundin took his job and shoved him into a third line role.

Come on,Miller.Players figure out the game for themselves.Sure,Sundin gave him some pointers.So,does every coach and player he has ever met.

What would you expect him to say?

Miller,two months of Sundin never 'made' Kesler.Come on,you have been smoking the Gillis pipe.

How about :Keep denying Sundin came in-reluctantly-to Vancouver so out of shape that the scribes had a hay day with Sedin until mid- March.

Sundin sucked and he got paid big bananas to suck.

To laud Sundin for having two months of decent hockey at the term he was paid is pathetic.

A HHOF'er plays a few games where he excels,immediately retires and you make it sound like he was some savior and eternal inspiration.

The facts are he held out to go to NY.NY passed on him for cap reasons and he came here by default-in sad shape for taking the multi millions he commanded.

Read over/listen to the first line of Kes' reply.That is the honest answer:

"I have a lot to thank him(Sundin) for as when he came on he kind of pushed me (Kes) down to the third line role."

The rest was Hockey Night in Toronto window dressing.

By all means, keep picking and choosing which parts of the twins & Kesler's words you want to hear and denying the fact that they mean their own words in the context that they give them. The fact is, Sundin was the most reliable scorer vs the Hawks in round two w/ 7pts in the 6-game series. Keep denying that, too.

Archived