66 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Just curious what schools you guys are going to, and how you're planning on trimming the costs of books. What your study strategy is, etc?

Personally, I'm going to BCIT.

I just recently discovered these 'international' textbooks. I'm testing them some time tomorrow to see if they have the proper problem-sets, if they do I can save 50-75% on all of my textbooks. The only downside with this, is that it is illegal to resell international textbooks in Canada (not sure why... )

I would rather keep the textbooks as reference anyway rather than sell them. Especially if I can get them at such a low price.

#2 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm first year. Going to KPU for Psychiatric Nursing. Most textbooks are at least 100 bucks, depending on your courses. Usually you can find cheaper books online usually, or even check piratebay for textbooks (saved 600 bucks on biology textbooks this semester :) ). I honestly never study, except maybe the day before at most. even for Biology... but hey, I have a pretty good memory, so depends on you really.

Edit: I'm actually ending my first year this semester, so hope I was still allowed to contribute haha

Edited by hyZar, 14 August 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#3 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Make sure you buy all the recommended and optional books. This is very important. You use them on the first day. You don't want to be the only kid without books on your first day, do you?

There is absolutely no chance that the professor does not use the books on the book list. No chance.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#4 JLumme

JLumme

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Buy all the textbooks early, photocopy all of them 11 times and sell them to your classmates for a 10th of the cost. Buy me a beer with the profit.

#5 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

POPULAR

Make sure you buy all the recommended and optional books. This is very important. You use them on the first day. You don't want to be the only kid without books on your first day, do you?

There is absolutely no chance that the professor does not use the books on the book list. No chance.

Oh come on, don't pick on the new kids.

#6 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm first year. Going to KPU for Psychiatric Nursing. Most textbooks are at least 100 bucks, depending on your courses. Usually you can find cheaper books online usually, or even check piratebay for textbooks (saved 600 bucks on biology textbooks this semester :) ). I honestly never study, except maybe the day before at most. even for Biology... but hey, I have a pretty good memory, so depends on you really.

Edit: I'm actually ending my first year this semester, so hope I was still allowed to contribute haha

Lol, no problem. I have searched the internet back and forth, looked through http downloads, emule, thepiratebay, literally everything. After all that the best I could do is one edition older than the requested texbook. I emailed my professor askig if it is okay to use a textbook that is one edition older than required; I'm still waiting for a reply though D: I really hope I can, it will save me about $140 if I can.

Like I said, I am going to try with the international textbooks. I can checkout my course books from the BCIT library for a max of three hours, which is long enough for me to do a quick check.

*edit* wait, you're trolling me xd/

Edited by JeremyW, 14 August 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#7 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ahaha, yeah. Basically don't buy textbooks until the first day of class. The prof will tell you whether or not you'll need them. Especially since some things are final sale (ie online coursework codes) it's generally safer just to wait and see what the prof says.

#8 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could always search for other used textbooks for sale that are in decent condition (not even classes that you are in] and at a really low price and then resell them for a few bucks extra. I remember buying one textbook used for forty dollars and then selling it at the beginning of the new school year for eighty. It would take a bit of effort, but there is definitely some money there if you're quick.

PS: ewww don't keep your books as a reference! you'll never look at them again. haha. get money for them while you can. if you really want it, just buy a used copy a few years down the line. it'll be so old by then that you can probably get it dirt cheap.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 14 August 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#9 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

Lol, no problem. I have searched the internet back and forth, looked through http downloads, emule, thepiratebay, literally everything. After all that the best I could do is one edition older than the requested texbook. I emailed my professor askig if it is okay to use a textbook that is one edition older than required; I'm still waiting for a reply though D: I really hope I can, it will save me about $140 if I can.

Like I said, I am going to try with the international textbooks. I can checkout my course books from the BCIT library for a max of three hours, which is long enough for me to do a quick check.

1 edition? Lol just use it. it'll be exact same book. my nursing profs said i can use 2 ed's back if its cheaper.. :)

#10 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

any ubc or sfu kids here?
Go Canucks Go

#11 canuck2379

canuck2379

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

it is illegal to resell international textbooks in Canada (not sure why... )

probably due to licensing laws/intellectual property rights etc etc...boring stuff but can get in the way of us cash-strapped students!

#12 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Go to the bookstore like right now. Snatch up all the textbooks you will need if they are available used.

Shop around now until the last day of returns on Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon.

Posted Image

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,924 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Isn't there some kind of textbooks-only free online resource?
Posted Image

#14 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

Going to the medicine hat college

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#15 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

any ubc or sfu kids here?

I was thinking of going to UBC, but there were a lot of courses in the way :S (I heard they have a lot of 'well-rounding the students' courses.) Which I agree with, I just simply cannot afford them, lol xd. Aside from that, my graduating grades & volunteer experience can't compete with most of the students there. They're not horrible (Bs and As) but I know that, especially UBC, is getting really competitive recently. It is nice because it gives you some time to choose your career path, but I've been pretty solid on which career I want for a while now.

Plus, BCIT seems to have a high employment rate; so can't go wrong there. And it is transfer friendly to many other schools as well, not that I plan on transferring, but if need be.

Edited by JeremyW, 14 August 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#16 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

I was thinking of going to UBC, but there were a lot of courses in the way :S (I heard they have a lot of 'well-rounding the students' courses.) Which I agree with, I just simply cannot afford them, lol xd. Aside from that, my graduating grades & volunteer experience can't compete with most of the students there. They're not horrible (Bs and As) but I know that, especially UBC, is getting really competitive recently. It is nice because it gives you some time to choose your career path, but I've been pretty solid on which career I want for a while now.

Plus, BCIT seems to have a high employment rate; so can't go wrong there. And it is transfer friendly to many other schools as well, not that I plan on transferring, but if need be.

Just a question to you and other people if you don't mind answering..i'm probably going to try to apply for ubc when my time comes and since you mentioned the competition, if you know some people who are going to ubc do you know what type of grades they had to get into ubc and the marks for their top 4 classes? And also what type of extracurricular stuff they had to get in. Just so I might get a little sense on how tough it actually is since I hear a lot of people telling me its hard to get in.
Thanks
Go Canucks Go

#17 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Just a question to you and other people if you don't mind answering..i'm probably going to try to apply for ubc when my time comes and since you mentioned the competition, if you know some people who are going to ubc do you know what type of grades they had to get into ubc and the marks for their top 4 classes? And also what type of extracurricular stuff they had to get in. Just so I might get a little sense on how tough it actually is since I hear a lot of people telling me its hard to get in.
Thanks

Well, it really depends on the program. Some people get in to their program via an arts program because they can't compete with other first-year applicants (which is a HUGE waste of money.) I would just settle for another school if you don't get accepted in to your desired program, the source of your BS degree isn't super significant as long as it is widely accepted and accredited by, for example, CEAB (most engineering programs at BCIT and probably other schools are, i.e employers will likely treat applicants the same.)

CEAB sets a standard for engineering students, those that meet it are accredited. It proves to the employer they are able to do their job. PhD's, masters etc is where the school matters. Also, if you plan on working in the USA, CEAB also has an arrangement with the US's engineering accreditation board.

This year I think it was a bit easier to get in to because, over some controversy with the teacher protests, UBC would only look at GR11 grades (at least for conditional acceptance) Also, UBC has introduced a new component of the application that gives you a chance to explain about your hobbies and interests etc thus offloading some of the acceptance dependency from grades and on to personal experiences\ attributes. Also, the fact that schools weren't allowing students to write the chem\phys provincials made some schools nervous about the standard students were being graded at. (I.e, online learning students can pull off an 'A' in chem. very easily, that they wouldn't be able to do in the class otherwise. Because there were no provincials, marks were inflated significantly.)

My brother simon graduated HS before all this teacher protest mess, got a 97% on his Chem. provincial and a pretty high mark on his phys provincial too, he ofc got accepted. I can't tell you much about how competitive it is other than that, sorry. But I know it is a tough school to get accepted in to.

Edited by JeremyW, 14 August 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#18 trek

trek

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,137 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

The textbook manufacturers must make a killing off firstyears... I remember my 3rd and 4th year I didn't buy most of the required books... Maybe pirated a few PDF's or photocopied the ones on reserve for the problem sets lol

#19 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

The textbook manufacturers must make a killing off firstyears... I remember my 3rd and 4th year I didn't buy most of the required books... Maybe pirated a few PDF's or photocopied the ones on reserve for the problem sets lol

I agree, which is why I am so determined to download these books, lol.

#20 No5Butcher

No5Butcher

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

If you have a few friends taking the same courses, another way to get past the textbook costs is to buy one or two copies among a few people and do homework/study as a group. Might be tougher to do in first year, but once you make some friends who have the same core courses it can work out.

Failing that, befriend some students in the same department who are a year above you. Lots of people are looking to ditch texts after they finish the course so you can some up with some cheap books that way.

It works especially well if you go in together and take the same required basketweaving electives.

Edited by No5Butcher, 14 August 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#21 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,488 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

For SFU students: my profs used to keep a few copies of our textbooks on reserve at the library. If you don't want to buy the required books, wait till the first day of classes so that you can have a look at the syllabus of each of your courses. If the course requires you to buy multiple books there's a good chance that at least one of those will barely be used, in which can you can just pop into the library and use their copy for the short period of time that you'll need to.

Also, if your prof wants you to buy a textbook and a coursepack, chances are the coursepack will be used a lot more so make sure you buy that.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#22 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks

I am personally attending a university in Ontario this fall but for UBC sciences the cut-off was 91% this year. If you're above 91% and have decent extracurriculars, you're a shoo-in. For anything under 90% and little to none extracurriculars, you basically don't have much of a chance.

For arts, i've heard 86%-90%. If you're in the mid-low 80's, excellent extracurriculars will get you in for sure.

You'll need 93% + and strong extracurriculars in order to be competitive for Commerce.

Edited by canucksgirl1234, 15 August 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#23 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks

I applied to the Arts program last year.
I had a 87% average in Grade 12, and a 90% average in Grade 11.
I also had well over 100 volunteer hours, and played on 2 school sport teams.

I did not get in.
Posted Image

#24 Ryanstorm

Ryanstorm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

I think my average in high school was almost 80% probably giving myself the benefit of the doubt. Ha ha.. but I never applied myself. Guess it doesn't look too good when applying for college though. What a kick in the nuts.

10n8i06.jpg

#25 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

For SFU students: my profs used to keep a few copies of our textbooks on reserve at the library. If you don't want to buy the required books, wait till the first day of classes so that you can have a look at the syllabus of each of your courses. If the course requires you to buy multiple books there's a good chance that at least one of those will barely be used, in which can you can just pop into the library and use their copy for the short period of time that you'll need to.

Also, if your prof wants you to buy a textbook and a coursepack, chances are the coursepack will be used a lot more so make sure you buy that.

Bring a scanner and scan the pages you need. B)

Posted Image

#26 canucksgirl1234

canucksgirl1234

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

I did not get in.

Harsh, I knew someone with about the same average and gr 11 marks but with maybe even less impressive extracurriculars that got in this year.

#27 jbrizzy

jbrizzy

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I did not get in.

I was pretty similar to you and I didn't get in either.. going to sfu instead.

#28 EnterTheWu-TangZone

EnterTheWu-TangZone

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

I did not get in.

Wow, either you're really unlucky or something went awfully wrong. That's impressive and you couldn't land in arts, one of the easier faculty to get into.

For the guy before asking how hard it is to get in, It's generally around 90%+ for science, 90%+ and great extracurricular for Sauder, Arts is usually around 85ish% but Jagermeister could'nt get in with an 87% so don't count on it.

I got into UBC engineering with an 88% in grade 12 (that's the only grade they look at I think). My marks were roughly about (don't remember exactly) 93% for Math, 91% for English, 89% for Chem and 83% for Physics for second term (my final marks were much worse but I was already accepted so I slacked off a lot). For extracurricular, I barely had any but my essay/tell me about yourself paragraphs were done great. I'm pretty sure they only look at the supplemental for people who are close to cutoff marks for a faculty. If you have great marks but horrible extracurricular they won't even bother looking at them
My people are you with me where you at?
In the front, in the back, killer-bees on attack

#29 JeremyW

JeremyW

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Wow, either you're really unlucky or something went awfully wrong. That's impressive and you couldn't land in arts, one of the easier faculty to get into.

For the guy before asking how hard it is to get in, It's generally around 90%+ for science, 90%+ and great extracurricular for Sauder, Arts is usually around 85ish% but Jagermeister could'nt get in with an 87% so don't count on it.

I got into UBC engineering with an 88% in grade 12 (that's the only grade they look at I think). My marks were roughly about (don't remember exactly) 93% for Math, 91% for English, 89% for Chem and 83% for Physics for second term (my final marks were much worse but I was already accepted so I slacked off a lot). For extracurricular, I barely had any but my essay/tell me about yourself paragraphs were done great. I'm pretty sure they only look at the supplemental for people who are close to cutoff marks for a faculty. If you have great marks but horrible extracurricular they won't even bother looking at them

When did you guys apply/get accepted. Like I said, this year it was a lot different with the application process at UBC.

#30 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

UVic... because SFU burnaby looked too ugly for me :lol:

I just bought the books straight from the bookstore. I had to get 3 used copies out of the 6 I needed because they ran out of the new ones :( I plan on either selling or donating them after I'm done.

As for the person who said they didnt get into UBC with an 87.. totally believe that. Seems like 87 was the absolute minimum this year for Arts.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 15 August 2012 - 01:54 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.