The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First year post-secondary students?

JeremyW

Just curious what schools you guys are going to, and how you're planning on trimming the costs of books. What your study strategy is, etc?

Personally, I'm going to BCIT.

I just recently discovered these 'international' textbooks. I'm testing them some time tomorrow to see if they have the proper problem-sets, if they do I can save 50-75% on all of my textbooks. The only downside with this, is that it is illegal to resell international textbooks in Canada (not sure why... )

I would rather keep the textbooks as reference anyway rather than sell them. Especially if I can get them at such a low price.

I'm first year. Going to KPU for Psychiatric Nursing. Most textbooks are at least 100 bucks, depending on your courses. Usually you can find cheaper books online usually, or even check piratebay for textbooks (saved 600 bucks on biology textbooks this semester :) ). I honestly never study, except maybe the day before at most. even for Biology... but hey, I have a pretty good memory, so depends on you really.

Edit: I'm actually ending my first year this semester, so hope I was still allowed to contribute haha

Make sure you buy all the recommended and optional books. This is very important. You use them on the first day. You don't want to be the only kid without books on your first day, do you?

There is absolutely no chance that the professor does not use the books on the book list. No chance.

Make sure you buy all the recommended and optional books. This is very important. You use them on the first day. You don't want to be the only kid without books on your first day, do you?

There is absolutely no chance that the professor does not use the books on the book list. No chance.

I'm first year. Going to KPU for Psychiatric Nursing. Most textbooks are at least 100 bucks, depending on your courses. Usually you can find cheaper books online usually, or even check piratebay for textbooks (saved 600 bucks on biology textbooks this semester :) ). I honestly never study, except maybe the day before at most. even for Biology... but hey, I have a pretty good memory, so depends on you really.

Edit: I'm actually ending my first year this semester, so hope I was still allowed to contribute haha

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you could always search for other used textbooks for sale that are in decent condition (not even classes that you are in] and at a really low price and then resell them for a few bucks extra. I remember buying one textbook used for forty dollars and then selling it at the beginning of the new school year for eighty. It would take a bit of effort, but there is definitely some money there if you're quick.

PS: ewww don't keep your books as a reference! you'll never look at them again. haha. get money for them while you can. if you really want it, just buy a used copy a few years down the line. it'll be so old by then that you can probably get it dirt cheap.

Lol, no problem. I have searched the internet back and forth, looked through http downloads, emule, thepiratebay, literally everything. After all that the best I could do is one edition older than the requested texbook. I emailed my professor askig if it is okay to use a textbook that is one edition older than required; I'm still waiting for a reply though D: I really hope I can, it will save me about $140 if I can.

Like I said, I am going to try with the international textbooks. I can checkout my course books from the BCIT library for a max of three hours, which is long enough for me to do a quick check.

*edit* wait, you're trolling me xd/

I was thinking of going to UBC, but there were a lot of courses in the way :S (I heard they have a lot of 'well-rounding the students' courses.) Which I agree with, I just simply cannot afford them, lol xd. Aside from that, my graduating grades & volunteer experience can't compete with most of the students there. They're not horrible (Bs and As) but I know that, especially UBC, is getting really competitive recently. It is nice because it gives you some time to choose your career path, but I've been pretty solid on which career I want for a while now.

Plus, BCIT seems to have a high employment rate; so can't go wrong there. And it is transfer friendly to many other schools as well, not that I plan on transferring, but if need be.

Just a question to you and other people if you don't mind answering..i'm probably going to try to apply for ubc when my time comes and since you mentioned the competition, if you know some people who are going to ubc do you know what type of grades they had to get into ubc and the marks for their top 4 classes? And also what type of extracurricular stuff they had to get in. Just so I might get a little sense on how tough it actually is since I hear a lot of people telling me its hard to get in.

Thanks

The textbook manufacturers must make a killing off firstyears... I remember my 3rd and 4th year I didn't buy most of the required books... Maybe pirated a few PDF's or photocopied the ones on reserve for the problem sets lol

If you have a few friends taking the same courses, another way to get past the textbook costs is to buy one or two copies among a few people and do homework/study as a group. Might be tougher to do in first year, but once you make some friends who have the same core courses it can work out.

Failing that, befriend some students in the same department who are a year above you. Lots of people are looking to ditch texts after they finish the course so you can some up with some cheap books that way.

It works especially well if you go in together and take the same required basketweaving electives.

Archived