The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First year post-secondary students?

JeremyW

I was in the IB program during highschool and found that that was much harder than my first year of university.

Studying practices are always different between people. I know some people like to study every night, keep current with lectures and all that, but I found I did fine with just going lectures, listening and then studying hard 1-2 weeks before a test, 2-3 weeks before an exam depending on the course.

Also, as others said, don't buy the textbooks early. For some annoying reason, professors will mark a book as required, and then on the first day of class will say "It's not really required, more of a study aid, all you need to know are in these handouts/notes, etc.".

I never bothered to resell any of my books, as I find they look nice on a bookshelf and they become somewhat useful when having to write lab reports/essays.

No, that's selling your books back. You have a time period to return your textbooks. I bought most of my textbooks new (at least the ones I couldn't find used at the bookstore), but if i find any good used textbooks from former students, I'll return the new ones I bought for full price with my receipt.

Edit: I was referring to the "recommended" books your professor said were not necessary during your fist class.

I never did one for UBC but if I recall correctly from the minimal information I provided to the Ontario schools, it's just extracurricular stuff. Like, if you play hockey, if you volunteer somewhere, if you're a world renowned concert pianist, stuff like that. It's just to check that you're well rounded and not just books books books.

Archived