The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

First year post-secondary students?

JeremyW

For SFU students: my profs used to keep a few copies of our textbooks on reserve at the library. If you don't want to buy the required books, wait till the first day of classes so that you can have a look at the syllabus of each of your courses. If the course requires you to buy multiple books there's a good chance that at least one of those will barely be used, in which can you can just pop into the library and use their copy for the short period of time that you'll need to.

Also, if your prof wants you to buy a textbook and a coursepack, chances are the coursepack will be used a lot more so make sure you buy that.

Just a question to you and other people if you don't mind answering..i'm probably going to try to apply for ubc when my time comes and since you mentioned the competition, if you know some people who are going to ubc do you know what type of grades they had to get into ubc and the marks for their top 4 classes? And also what type of extracurricular stuff they had to get in. Just so I might get a little sense on how tough it actually is since I hear a lot of people telling me its hard to get in.

Thanks

Just a question to you and other people if you don't mind answering..i'm probably going to try to apply for ubc when my time comes and since you mentioned the competition, if you know some people who are going to ubc do you know what type of grades they had to get into ubc and the marks for their top 4 classes? And also what type of extracurricular stuff they had to get in. Just so I might get a little sense on how tough it actually is since I hear a lot of people telling me its hard to get in.

Thanks

For SFU students: my profs used to keep a few copies of our textbooks on reserve at the library. If you don't want to buy the required books, wait till the first day of classes so that you can have a look at the syllabus of each of your courses. If the course requires you to buy multiple books there's a good chance that at least one of those will barely be used, in which can you can just pop into the library and use their copy for the short period of time that you'll need to.

Also, if your prof wants you to buy a textbook and a coursepack, chances are the coursepack will be used a lot more so make sure you buy that.

Wow, either you're really unlucky or something went awfully wrong. That's impressive and you couldn't land in arts, one of the easier faculty to get into.

For the guy before asking how hard it is to get in, It's generally around 90%+ for science, 90%+ and great extracurricular for Sauder, Arts is usually around 85ish% but Jagermeister could'nt get in with an 87% so don't count on it.

I got into UBC engineering with an 88% in grade 12 (that's the only grade they look at I think). My marks were roughly about (don't remember exactly) 93% for Math, 91% for English, 89% for Chem and 83% for Physics for second term (my final marks were much worse but I was already accepted so I slacked off a lot). For extracurricular, I barely had any but my essay/tell me about yourself paragraphs were done great. I'm pretty sure they only look at the supplemental for people who are close to cutoff marks for a faculty. If you have great marks but horrible extracurricular they won't even bother looking at them

UVic... because SFU burnaby looked too ugly for me :lol:

I just bought the books straight from the bookstore. I had to get 3 used copies out of the 6 I needed because they ran out of the new ones :( I plan on either selling or donating them after I'm done.

As for the person who said they didnt get into UBC with an 87.. totally believe that. Seems like 87 was the absolute minimum this year for Arts.

Holy cow, I'm going into my 4th year of post secondary and based on what people are saying, the entrance cutoff % has really jumped up. I got into UBC Fac. of Science on a 89.5% average in Feb when I was applying. It's scary to think that I probably wouldn't make the cut if I had been born just a few years later, haha.

Thanks

UBC's tough man. I cannot stress enough how little the grades mean. I got into Sauder with a 92% average, but honestly, I really think it was due to my supplemental that I got in. My friend I've known since kg had a 93.5% average and got denied Sauder.

In short, your supplemental is everything. And for the supp, think outside the box. UBC is not looking for kids who just volunteered at the Children's Festival simply because they had to.

What have you done in your life that your truly have a passion for? How has it affected you? What have you done personally that makes you a suitable candidate for UBC?

What does UBC have to offer for you? Is it their co-op program?

Grades are unfortunately a small portion of it all my friend.

This^

Holy cow, I'm going into my 4th year of post secondary and based on what people are saying, the entrance cutoff % has really jumped up. I got into UBC Fac. of Science on a 89.5% average in Feb when I was applying. It's scary to think that I probably wouldn't make the cut if I had been born just a few years later, haha.

Only reason to go to the bookstore is to pick up on frosh girls while price checking the books.

There will always be people that took the course the year before that are looking to sell them at bargain basement prices or some friend you meet that will let you borrow the book long enough to make it to the closest Kinkos.

Archived