Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

First year post-secondary students?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#61 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I was in the IB program during highschool and found that that was much harder than my first year of university.

Studying practices are always different between people. I know some people like to study every night, keep current with lectures and all that, but I found I did fine with just going lectures, listening and then studying hard 1-2 weeks before a test, 2-3 weeks before an exam depending on the course.

Also, as others said, don't buy the textbooks early. For some annoying reason, professors will mark a book as required, and then on the first day of class will say "It's not really required, more of a study aid, all you need to know are in these handouts/notes, etc.".

I never bothered to resell any of my books, as I find they look nice on a bookshelf and they become somewhat useful when having to write lab reports/essays.

You know you can return textbooks right....

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#62 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

You know you can return textbooks right....

Yeah, but for a greatly reduced price. I'd rather keep them.

#63 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

exactly. bought a 200 dollar calculus book this year, and when I tried to return it they wanted to give me 20 bucks. told them to shove it.
it's best to just try and sell it yourself, really.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#64 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

No, that's selling your books back. You have a time period to return your textbooks. I bought most of my textbooks new (at least the ones I couldn't find used at the bookstore), but if i find any good used textbooks from former students, I'll return the new ones I bought for full price with my receipt.

Edit: I was referring to the "recommended" books your professor said were not necessary during your fist class.

Edited by unknown33429, 31 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

#65 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

No, that's selling your books back. You have a time period to return your textbooks. I bought most of my textbooks new (at least the ones I couldn't find used at the bookstore), but if i find any good used textbooks from former students, I'll return the new ones I bought for full price with my receipt.

Edit: I was referring to the "recommended" books your professor said were not necessary during your fist class.

I'm not sure about the official bookstore but i know the Discount bookstore (UBC) won't accept returns on used books that they sell..but their window for returns on new books is only about a week.

#66 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

I never did one for UBC but if I recall correctly from the minimal information I provided to the Ontario schools, it's just extracurricular stuff. Like, if you play hockey, if you volunteer somewhere, if you're a world renowned concert pianist, stuff like that. It's just to check that you're well rounded and not just books books books.

Ahhhh, I see.. ty ckamo. i vaguely recall that now. must've forgotten the lingo.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#67 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm not sure about the official bookstore but i know the Discount bookstore (UBC) won't accept returns on used books that they sell..but their window for returns on new books is only about a week.

I don't know about UBC. I never went there.I'm at U of A right now, and they told me they have no problem with students returning textbooks within a certain date.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.