The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev working on his offensive abilities

JohnLocke

Chris Tanev is working to bring a shooting mentality to his game. The 22-year-old, who is a sound defender and good passer, is entering the final year of his entry-level contract. He only has three assists in 64 games, but led all NCAA rookie defenseman with 28 in 41 games in 2009-10, so there is some offensive potential. Tanev has always been a "pass-first, shoot-never" blueliner, but this offseason he's working to improve his shot and change his mindset. "I'm always looking to pass first and sometimes if you're looking to pass and nothing is there, by the time you want to shoot there's no lane there," said Tanev. "There's definitely a lot of reinforcement from myself and the people around me to shoot the puck once in a while. When guys know you're going to shoot it, usually that's when the passing lanes will open up. It's something I have to get better at and I'll definitely be doing that more once camp starts."

-THN

Not surprised at all Tanev is working on improving his shot. Tanev's slap shot is somewhat like a lot of players' wrist shot right now. There is lots of room for improvement but I do I think his offensive game will develop over the next couple of years.

I really liked tanev during the playoffs. He is great defensive player, one who takes the hit intelligently and passes the puck easily without any pressure. sometime players when they think going to get hit they back down little bit and turn over the puck but tanev is great in that sort of things. i am sure that he will improve next season in terms of pts.

bingo.

its a device where try and roll up the weight to the stick...you use it to strengthen your wrists for a better shot

its what sakic used

i really recommend it, you see results instantly

just a few curls here and there while you are watching tv or whatever and you will be that much more dangerous on the ice

Outside of his 10 goals in 41 games at RIT he has put up terrible goal scoring numbers. Between the NHL/AHL he has 2 goals in 151 games. In junior 'A' he scored 6 goals in 139 games.

I don't think he will ever be a 10 goal, 40 point guy but 4 goals 25 points would be nice. Despite being an awesome positional defenseman I think his lack of physicality will hold him back from being an elite stay at home guy and his lack of offensive ability will hold him back from being a top 2.

Archived