The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev working on his offensive abilities

JohnLocke

bingo.

its a device where try and roll up the weight to the stick...you use it to strengthen your wrists for a better shot

its what sakic used

i really recommend it, you see results instantly

just a few curls here and there while you are watching tv or whatever and you will be that much more dangerous on the ice

Guys, I am pretty sure the guy knows what exercises to do given he's in the NHL. His shot (like all players can always improve) but he likely has a backhand harder than most people can shoot on here.

The issue with shots is as he said, its about having the mentality to do it, its about timing and getting it off. If you wait, and look to pass first, often you're rushed, if you have no passing lanes. Its about knowing when to shoot and when to pass and having a balanced mentality in your head, ie take whats given to you vs, I am going to shoot (a la Kesler) or I am going to pass (a la Tanev) and then being f'd if you can't.

Tanev I am sure has a decent shot, yes that can be improved, but the majority of the issue is simply in his approach/mind.

Yeah, I don't think the problem is that he has a bad shot, it's that he never shoots when he has the chance.

It started to frustrate me a little last playoffs. It gets easier to defend against when you know someone isn't going to shoot/always looking to pass first.(sometimes the problem with Henrik, too)

• 2 months later...

Shot power isn't everything. It's knowing when to throw it on net - when it will be most likely to be tipped, go off something, get a good rebound, etc.

Bieksa is a great example of this. His shot is pretty weak. But he knows when to use it, and usually gets it exactly where it needs to be. As such, he creates a lot of offense - 2nd most ES points in the league (by a D) last year.

Archived