44 replies to this topic

#31 IMyMeMine

IMyMeMine

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

Good point. You don't always need a 100mph bar down slapper. Sometimes you just gotta shoot the damn puck and get it on net. With traffic in front, you never know what could happen.

This kind of slapshot can get your team to the Cup finals...if you can shoot at all.

#32 Burrdin

Burrdin

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

Yeah, I don't think the problem is that he has a bad shot, it's that he never shoots when he has the chance.

It started to frustrate me a little last playoffs. It gets easier to defend against when you know someone isn't going to shoot/always looking to pass first.(sometimes the problem with Henrik, too)

Visualise it....

Posted Image

#33 Nix Nihil

Nix Nihil

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Tanev is my favorite young up-and-coming Canuck right now, so I'm stoked he's trying to get better.

#34 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Why?

I'd rather him be a super dominant DFD than an okay TWD..

Posted Image

#35 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

If Tanev developed an Edler-like point shot....
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#36 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I can't see it improving a slap shot. Wrist shot yes.

Are you kidding? Strong hands, wrists and forearms, along with the strengthening of the stabilizer muscles and ligaments/tendons in the wrist allowing for the rolling and turning of hands that this exercise will help isn't going to improve someone's slap shot? The final snap that's going to add velocity to anyone's slapshot is generated from the hands.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but this is also a great exercise for adding 20-30 yards to your golf game and hitting the long ball on the diamond.

#37 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Why?

I'd rather him be a super dominant DFD than an okay TWD..

What do you mean why? Adding more weapons to your arsenal and improving yourself is a bad thing? He knows his role and he's still going to be a defensive-minded player, but there's no reason why he shouldn't elevate his offensive game because of that. It's not like he's gonna come out next season thinking he's Drew Doughty or something.

#38 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

BUMP.

Tanev finally scored the other day.
About time.

This kids something else.

#39 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Shot power isn't everything. It's knowing when to throw it on net - when it will be most likely to be tipped, go off something, get a good rebound, etc.

Bieksa is a great example of this. His shot is pretty weak. But he knows when to use it, and usually gets it exactly where it needs to be. As such, he creates a lot of offense - 2nd most ES points in the league (by a D) last year.
Posted Image

#40 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Connauton is an example of knowing when to shoot it, how to get it on net, even through traffic, and when to release a cannon of a shot hopefully he rubs off on tanev and vice versa.

#41 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

His main focus this offseason should have been to put on weight.

It's not that hard.

#42 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

This kind of slapshot can get your team to the Cup finals...if you can shoot at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJG2zBAHfOw

I love that video.

Look at number 9's reaction, I think it's Ian White, when he notices where the puck is from behind the net. :lol:

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#43 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,870 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Not sure who I would compare Tanev to, he really doesn't fill any particular niche. Right now he's not much of a hitter at all and brings next to nothing offensively, but is great positionally, doesn't panic and has one of the best defensive sticks I've seen amongst even Canuck defencemen.

He definately needs to get either more physical or bring more offence, because being good at one aspect of defending won't do our team much good. Personally I'd rather see him develop physically and become a good shutdown defenceman but that's unlikely, he'll probably end up as a Hamhuis 2.0 - doesn't use his shot very often but a good puck mover and deflected shooter, not overly physical but great positionally.
Posted Image

#44 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Not sure who I would compare Tanev to, he really doesn't fill any particular niche. Right now he's not much of a hitter at all and brings next to nothing offensively, but is great positionally, doesn't panic and has one of the best defensive sticks I've seen amongst even Canuck defencemen.

He definately needs to get either more physical or bring more offence, because being good at one aspect of defending won't do our team much good. Personally I'd rather see him develop physically and become a good shutdown defenceman but that's unlikely, he'll probably end up as a Hamhuis 2.0 - doesn't use his shot very often but a good puck mover and deflected shooter, not overly physical but great positionally.

I scored with him on NHL 13 for the first time yesterday. does that count for anything.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#45 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

Shot power isn't everything. It's knowing when to throw it on net - when it will be most likely to be tipped, go off something, get a good rebound, etc.

Bieksa is a great example of this. His shot is pretty weak. But he knows when to use it, and usually gets it exactly where it needs to be. As such, he creates a lot of offense - 2nd most ES points in the league (by a D) last year.

Exactly, for defensemen, you don't have to be a sniper to create offense. It's more about timing, placement, jumping up in the play, etc. You could have the hardest slapshot in the league, but it's still an easy shot for the goalie to stop unless you let if off at the right point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.