The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why not a fresh start?

miles.p

I keep reading about how great the Oilers are going to be. I agree they have a lot of prospects, but can they keep them beyond the ELC? They won't become contenders if players take off as soon as they are UFA or ask for a trade after their ELC runs out. They don't have a good track record in terms of attracting top tier talent to the team either. I say this as a hockey fan who wants to see the Oilers succeed.

The idea of taking a team that finished first overall and blowing it up to start over is baffling. It's never been done in any sport because of a lockout or for any other reason. Gillis intends to get a younger and bigger team and a lockout could help. I am also wondering why we're worried about losing the entire season in August. Yes, it happened in 2005, but I find the talks more encouraging now than I did then. There seems to be effort to work together whereas in 2005 everyone dug in their heels and waited for the other side to flinch.

I don't think the season will start on time, but I could see it dragging into October and there not being hockey until early December, maybe a 50 game schedule. This could actually be a real benefit to the Canucks.

The Calgary that fluked out and went to the finals is not our Canuck team that went to the finals, horrible comparison.

There better be a season this year, I can't handle an entire YEAR off of this kind of dribble. Ok, back to Twitter to see if HockeyyInsiderr has anything new to report;)

It seems like tanking is pretty trendy these days, every team has at least one discussion post full of fans hoping for a good ol tank. I mean, if we were in a situation like the Flames, I might agree, but we are still a very very good team. Maybe not the team that we were two years ago, but still a team that has a legit shot at winning a cup. Remember, this is still the best team that the Canucks have had in their history......it took us 40 someodd years to get a team of this quality..... you don't just hit reset and magically end up with a new team of the same quality 5 years down the road. Even if you are bad, it is far from a guarantee that you will get a top 5 pick (or 3 first overalls in a row for that matter), you don't just get a good pick handed to you because you choose to gut your team. For every Edmonton, Chicago, and Pittsburgh, there are a handful of teams who get stuck in perpetual rebuilds or fail to realize any decent success from tanking. Also, on a personal note, I really don't think that some people understand what a full on 4-5 year rebuild means. I will fully admit that I am a very impatient person here, but this would mean absolutely no remotely meaningful hockey for a full half a decade. Your entire university life (or high school for some people maybe), no getting excited for a hockey game, no playoffs, just losing.

IMO, the Canucks should follow the model (and it seems like they are) of teams like Detroit, Ottawa, San Jose, ect. Teams that don't go all in for one big push, they consistently keep their first rounders and develop their prospects. They may not end up with a flashy top five prospect, but with a good scouting and development system they can remain powerhouses (or at least drastically shorten rebuilding times; see Ottawa.).

Cheers

The idea definitely has merit....but you are dealing with a mass amount of homers on this board. I get their side of it too. Why blow up a team that you know can win first overall? It sucks to know that this team hasn't really improved since it's first round ousting. Swap Garrison for Salo is essentially the only noticeable move which netted a younger, durable replacement with a similar skill set. When you do very little and expect a better outcome, you are reaching. I guess they are just hoping for a better matchup? Since it is easier to just keep tinkering and hoping for different results, that is all that happen. I'm not a fan of this approach, but i'll watch and not be upset about it. But I won't go out of my way to watch every game as I really only care about playoff success at this point. Hopefully by the time the Sedins have declined to the point of retirement, there will be someone to replace them. If not, oh well, at least I got to see two of the best players this organization has had.

miles.p

you have to be kidding !!!!

trolling ?

can't believe what I read and I read it all :sick:

why don't you try to blow yourself up instead

just can't believe it still ... this is the worst I've read

and please the comparisons to Edmonton and Calgary are worthless

So basically you wanna rebuild and start tanking for draft picks before we even start sucking? We still have lot of good player who haven't quite left their prime yet. Mike Gillis is currently working on going in a younger direction, which is why he signed Garrison, got Kassian as opposed to an older player, traded Samuelsson and Sturm for Booth, and is keeping Schneider. But we don't need a full on rebuild for a few years yet.

And the whole "I'm tired of prospects" thing is something you're just gonna have to get used to. Very few players are NHL ready right out of the draft, and no matter how good of a scouting staff you have, you're probably not getting them unless you draft very high, which is how Edmonton got their talent (sucking for years in a row and drafting 1st overall).

I keep reading about how great the Oilers are going to be. I agree they have a lot of prospects, but can they keep them beyond the ELC? They won't become contenders if players take off as soon as they are UFA or ask for a trade after their ELC runs out. They don't have a good track record in terms of attracting top tier talent to the team either. I say this as a hockey fan who wants to see the Oilers succeed.

Reading this I thought it was another yete or pasific coliseum thread, but it turned out to be even worse.

Trade away any chance of a cup for a shot in maybe 5 years? Pittsburgh tanked and it worked for them (only because Crosby and Malkin turned out so good), but has it worked for Columbus, Edmonton, Carolina (this year they actually signed some free agent talent), or how many other bottom feeder teams.

And no this is not a valid argument. Blowing up the team just so you can have a shot at a better one (even though the odds are against you) is not a good plan. You supplement the current team with what's needed, but you don't destroy the team.

That's wishful thinking. You know why Edmonton's had difficulties signing UFAs? Because they've stunk. That is, really, the ONLY reason.

Now, though, they appear ready to take the next step, which is why they were so attractive to Justin Schultz. It has nothing to do with the city. This is the NHL, not the NBA. Edmonton's an excellent hockey town with a very, very rich tradition. If/when they turn it around, it'll become a destination spot again.

I think the risk of their young studs "bolting" is very, very miniscule.

I suggest that we blow up the team and start fresh. Trade the twins and get the first and second round picks. Stockpile on talent as much as we can. Hire a strong scouting team to find us players that are NHL Ready, meaning that they will be drafted and play right away.

I'm tired of prospects, waiting to see if a player is "Nhl Ready". Look at Edmonton, they have a better future than us. They have good talent, good coaching staff and a great direction. In comparison, look at Calgary, they fluked out to the finals one year, and kept the majority of their players, thinking that by adding what was missing in their previous runs, they can compete again. How bad have they become now?

That's wishful thinking. You know why Edmonton's had difficulties signing UFAs? Because they've stunk. That is, really, the ONLY reason.

Now, though, they appear ready to take the next step, which is why they were so attractive to Justin Schultz. It has nothing to do with the city. This is the NHL, not the NBA. Edmonton's an excellent hockey town with a very, very rich tradition. If/when they turn it around, it'll become a destination spot again.

I think the risk of their young studs "bolting" is very, very miniscule.

Archived