The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You--Remembering Rick Rypien

RFK

I do not post very often here but felt this was an opportune time to share a memory of mine.

I struggled with depression for much of last year and my negative emotions peaked last Summer. After confiding in a friend on the evening of August 14th, I did some reading on the internet the following morning to cope with my anxiety. I found some useful contact information at the end of an article and, unbeknownst to me, ended up calling a suicide hotline. It was a real surprise but I've since realized that I really needed someone to talk to and really appreciated that someone was willing to listen and help.

Remembering that Rick Rypien had some mental health issues over the course of his career in Vancouver, I decided to do some reading on him that afternoon. Upon entering his name on Wikipedia, I was stunned to see that the date of his death (August 15th, 2011) was listed. I could not believe it. I wheeled around and told my brother that there was no way this could be true but the reports soon came in. The Wikipedia entry had been modified mere minutes before I accessed it. It was, without question, the strangest coincidence I have ever experienced.

As many of you remember, we lost Rick Rypien a year ago; the anniversary of his passing is tomorrow. I was really moved by all the tributes that poured in that day. If memory serves, a thread that was created to honour his memory was several pages long and many of you offered fond recollections of this fine player and his brief career.

As Rick's struggles and tragic end really resonated with me, I felt I had an obligation to explain what I had been going through recently. Some of you even personally messaged me and offered advice when I explained what had happened in the preceding 24 hours. I cannot thank those individuals enough. I cannot say anything with certainty apart from the fact that this was a day that gave me perspective on my life and I'll never forget it.

I wish to express my gratitude to all of you. This franchise has been dealt some unfortunate blows in the last few years but these tragedies have also elicited genuine concern and compassion from kind-hearted people like yourselves. In the final analysis, I genuinely believe we have the best fans in the NHL. Thank you.

A year later, Mr. Rypien is still sorely missed but we should take solace in the fact that his passing will remain a point of inspiration.

Thank you for this post. It honestly brought tears and I am so glad that you reached out and made some connections. :) Very heartfelt and touching.

A year ago March I spent a week in ER with someone who "couldn't do it anymore". She is my world - my only daughter - and I can only really just bring myself to talk about it now.

I knew she'd been battling with insomnia and other issues for some time, but then came the hammer over the head realization during that month of March that it was something much more - something very severe and drastic that left us feeling helpless. It was very intense and, for me, caught me totally off guard. At the stem of everything was deep rooted depression and anxiety and I really had no idea of the magnitude. My daughter had silently been suffering for some time before it all blew apart.

A long period of darkness, death and despair had preceded this breakdown and it culminated into something very scary.

The stuff with Rick really hit home for me...left me feeling empty all over again. Good people shouldn't suffer this way - no one should. And Rick, with his impish grin and huge heart, certainly was a huge loss to all whose lives he touched. He was fearless. Who would ever connect depression with someone so brave? But that's how it happens - not always as obvious as we'd expect. Isn't selective - anyone is fair game. Can creep up slowly and just simmer, then boil over at any given time. But, as discussed before, it isn't something someone can just "fix" or shake off. It isn't a sign of weakness - moreso, strength. Because to battle that battle everyday isn't easy and it takes incredible strength and courage just to get through the daily grind. To put on a brave face. Often, to fake it so as not to worry or disrupt others.

I remember seeing KB talk so openly and frankly about Rick and was proud that our team was one that supported each other during the hard times - not just in search of the good times. The brotherhood in it all.

And that's what it's all about in the end - we're all in this thing together. When you strip away possessions, status, accomplishments and other stuff that really is irrelevant in the end, we're all just people. It takes a village to get through anything intact.

Thanks again for this post...with all the drivel of the off season, it's nice to read something so meaningful. We miss you, Rick, but will never forget the important message that you've sent through your struggles and your strength that hid it so well at times. Very sad to know that the turmoil was too much in the end...may you truly rest in peace.

Thanks TL...I should add that my daughter was one of the lucky ones who made it. She has battled hard - is in therapy, yoga, does meditation, acupuncture and is also on medication (which I was opposed to, but learned that sometimes it's completely necessary). It's still a daily struggle, but she's learned to cope.

RFK I really commend you for doing two things - for reaching out to others by sharing your story (there's strength in numbers) and in educating yourself. I wish you all the best in your journey...

I do not post very often here but felt this was an opportune time to share a memory of mine.

I struggled with depression for much of last year and my negative emotions peaked last Summer. After confiding in a friend on the evening of August 14th, I did some reading on the internet the following morning to cope with my anxiety. I found some useful contact information at the end of an article and, unbeknownst to me, ended up calling a suicide hotline. It was a real surprise but I've since realized that I really needed someone to talk to and really appreciated that someone was willing to listen and help.

Remembering that Rick Rypien had some mental health issues over the course of his career in Vancouver, I decided to do some reading on him that afternoon. Upon entering his name on Wikipedia, I was stunned to see that the date of his death (August 15th, 2011) was listed. I could not believe it. I wheeled around and told my brother that there was no way this could be true but the reports soon came in. The Wikipedia entry had been modified mere minutes before I accessed it. It was, without question, the strangest coincidence I have ever experienced.

As many of you remember, we lost Rick Rypien a year ago; the anniversary of his passing is tomorrow. I was really moved by all the tributes that poured in that day. If memory serves, a thread that was created to honour his memory was several pages long and many of you offered fond recollections of this fine player and his brief career.

As Rick's struggles and tragic end really resonated with me, I felt I had an obligation to explain what I had been going through recently. Some of you even personally messaged me and offered advice when I explained what had happened in the preceding 24 hours. I cannot thank those individuals enough. I cannot say anything with certainty apart from the fact that this was a day that gave me perspective on my life and I'll never forget it.

I wish to express my gratitude to all of you. This franchise has been dealt some unfortunate blows in the last few years but these tragedies have also elicited genuine concern and compassion from kind-hearted people like yourselves. In the final analysis, I genuinely believe we have the best fans in the NHL. Thank you.

A year later, Mr. Rypien is still sorely missed but we should take solace in the fact that his passing will remain a point of inspiration.

I was at the Canucks - Oilers game on January 23rd, 2012, when they were highlighting Bieksa's involvement with and the imminent launch of Mindcheck.ca, and I have always regretted not buying one of those RYP shirts...

I've struggled with depression at some level for my entire life I think. I was bullied and ostracized in Elementary school, didn't have many friends. Throughout high school I was just angry and lashed out at everyone because of it, leaving me alone and often depressed. In university I struggled for years while trying to dig myself out of that hole while building relationships with people. My parents split up in my second year of university and my family has not been the same since, my relationship with my parents and sister is rocky at the best of times and nonexistent at others, but I relied on my circle of friends to help me cope.

Eventually I found myself alone again as my friends graduated or dropped out, or moved on in other ways. It was a big struggle then, but I finally went to my doctor. Interestingly, I was running late for my doctors appointment (where I was going to talk about my depression) and ended up getting my first and only speeding ticket... just the worst timing. I still made it to my appointment though, I got on some medication and referred to counselling. This is a year and a half later, I'm off the medication, living on my own, graduated university and in a healthy, happy relationship that has lasted just over a year now.

It's sometimes a hard struggle.. I've probably had it easier than a lot of people, but it's no joke. The most difficult thing is seeking help, but that isn't the end of the battle by any means.

So that's my (abridged) story. Thanks for reading.

Archived