The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You--Remembering Rick Rypien

RFK

Very well done RFK. It was very nice to read something related to the canucks that will not ever cause an argument between the members. I commend you for that, good job. I am glad to see that you too are doing better with your own issues. ::D

R.I.P. RR37

A word here for Deb and Kevin Bieksa from someone who has been in their position and knows how hard it is to see someone you love suffer the roller coaster ride that is depression.

The phone calls that go on for hours because you are not there with them and you are never sure when to say good night or bye bye because you never think you have said enough of of the right things or listened as well as you could.

The follow up calls, pretending you had forgotten to tell them something because you are unsure if you have helped at all in the previous call.

The days or evenings spent out together that seem to go well but you are never sure because you catch that sad and vulnerable look just before they walk away.

Worrying when a meeting is missed or you feel too much time has gone by since you last spoke, although it was usually only the day before.

Above all constantly over analysing what's been said, looking for signs, mood changes, or times when you feel you are not doing enough

Like Deb, the person I love is fine now, has got married and started a family. I still look back on these days and think I should have done more, but that is part of the other side of this cruel illness you always think you can do more and end up almost wanting to wrap them up in a permanent shield of your presence, but that's not what they want or what they need either.

She still has the odd dark day but seems to be coping well and is in a good place in her life just now.

I've battled with depression for a very long time so I know what the OP and countless others who battle with it go through on a day to day basis. I like many others, turned to self medication and that developed into a bad drug problem. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news of RR's death. I'll be honest, I was in my car waiting for my dealer to meet me when the report came on over the radio.

I've had those feelings. I've sat on my bed, crying my eyes out, with a hand full of pills, slowly bringing them to my mouth only to have a sudden image of my daughter flashing in my mind. That image was the only thing from swallowing the pills.

Mental illness is a very serious thing. I remember Michael Lansberg writing an article after the suicide of Wade Belak talking about his fight with depression. I understood every word of it. Anyone who deals with depression and anxiety would. We're masters of putting on the strong front, the manufactured smile.

If you or someone you know suffers from this or if u suspect someone u know may be contemplating suicide, don't leave anything to chance. DO SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING. Talking from experience, we will tell you everything is "fine" when it isn't.

It has been a year now, and I still find myself alternately shocked, in denial, angry, and then, inevitabely sad at your passing Rick. We never met, but I could see on your face, the very first time I saw you play, that we shared some of the same demons and struggles. The first time you took leave from the Canucks, I knew immediately why, and I ached with and for you. When you returned I rejoiced in your appearant victory.

It was a tough gut shot when I found out you passed, and unfortunately, I knew the cause before it was reported. I still hurt Rick, I still miss you. I'm glad your passing was not in vein though; the work of Kevin Bieksa and others has helped many. I still revel in watching you on YouTube as you light up Brandon Prust, and I wonder what was going through Hal Gil's mind as you opened up on him. I smile, and I wish you were still here. I was a Canuck's fan before you donned the jersey, and I continue to be one, but I miss you 37.

To paraphrase others, "Keep your gloves on kid, you don't have to fight anymore."

When I first heard the news of his death, I was shocked to say the least. I had never heard of Rick Rypien before the incident. But I still felt affected, even though I never got a chance to see him in the rink, but from all that I've read about him, he was truly an amazing player. May his legacy live on through those who keep moving forward. RIP #37 You were an inspiration to us all.

A word here for Deb and Kevin Bieksa from someone who has been in their position and knows how hard it is to see someone you love suffer the roller coaster ride that is depression.

The phone calls that go on for hours because you are not there with them and you are never sure when to say good night or bye bye because you never think you have said enough of of the right things or listened as well as you could.

The follow up calls, pretending you had forgotten to tell them something because you are unsure if you have helped at all in the previous call.

The days or evenings spent out together that seem to go well but you are never sure because you catch that sad and vulnerable look just before they walk away.

Worrying when a meeting is missed or you feel too much time has gone by since you last spoke, although it was usually only the day before.

Above all constantly over analysing what's been said, looking for signs, mood changes, or times when you feel you are not doing enough

Like Deb, the person I love is fine now, has got married and started a family. I still look back on these days and think I should have done more, but that is part of the other side of this cruel illness you always think you can do more and end up almost wanting to wrap them up in a permanent shield of your presence, but that's not what they want or what they need either.

She still has the odd dark day but seems to be coping well and is in a good place in her life just now.

Archived