The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

The president is a Christian only because he has to be because the US has an inordinate number of whack-job Christians that would never vote for a non-Christian, no matter what. I would bet any amount of money that Obama treats Christianity as a political tool, and doesn't believe a word of it's insane lies and oppressive dogmas. Obama is too smart to say he's actually an Athiest, because the average US citizen isn't mature or intelligent enough to deal with that.

Merely your own opinion, desires and beliefs speaking in the context of your ideology within the only society and culture you seem to know of, while ignoring history and cultures from around the world, including the West. Today, here and now seems to be all you know and all you care about knowing (which is fine if you want to ignore history and facts).

Aishah's father and mother gave their daughter to Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him) in marriage once she reached the age of mentruation/puberty, so what difference does it make what you or I would want for our daughter? Nobody objected to that marriage and everyone around them were happy, especially the parents (as indicated by some of the very Hadith you provided). Furthermore (and obviously), this was not at all an uncommon practice then and there and in fact around much of the world up until the 1900's.

As already pointed out (and I can keep repeating myself all day if you like) many may also like to know that up until the 1900's the age of consent in much of the USA was 10 years old and in some cases 7 years old. So was America (and much of the world for that matter) governed by pedophiles back then? Perhaps the grandparents or great grandparents or great great or great great great grandparents of many people around the world are also pedophiles according to your own desires?

http://chnm.gmu.edu/...mary-sources/24

We can, however; perhaps agree that times have changed as have cultural paradigms.

Here in Canada it wasn't until 2008 that the age of consent was raised from 14 to 16.

And here is perhaps a better and more accurate definition:

Paedophilia

A. The general criteria for Disorders of sexual preference must be met.

B. A persistent or a predominant preference for sexual activity with a prepubescent child or children.

http://www.who.int/c.../en/GRNBOOK.pdf

Aishah was not prepubescent and most of Prophet Muhammad's wives were widows (once again, as I had already mentioned). Ignoring these facts do not make you correct or accurate in reality, regardless of your personal beliefs and iedology.

You can profess to your heart's desire that you do not agree with, or whatever, it but to refer to it as 'pedophilia' amounts to nothing more than ignorance and nonsense.

Furthermore, what I stated regarding women reverting to Islam is not a claim, it is fact.

In the UK, 100,000+ individuals reverted to Islam in the past decade and between 62%-75% of those were estimated to be women, for example.

Yvonne Ridley reverted to Islam after being taken captive by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Also:

Not only this but we see it with our own eyes here in our community.

Do you think that all those women are all oblivious to what you are trying to accomplish here? Do you think they've never heard the likes of 'Islam is a mysoginist religion with injustice between genders and abuses and oppresses women' or anything else in the 'arsenal'? Go try it on them...you just may be surprised at the responses you get.

So while you persist in pointing out your own personal beliefs and desires based on your own ideology within the context of your own culture in your own time, I will persist in pointing out facts, with all due respect.

You make it sound like you can't be religious and academic at the same time. Did you know the President is a Christian?

Further, your big point is criticizing the fact that religion is so dominant only because parents teach it to their kids. Is that so wrong? Have you forgotten what religion is? It is a set of core values and morals that we live by. Of course they are passed down through the raising of children. They are values.

Alright...first of all...for you to sit there and defend any guy (regardless of the time period) who was 53 years old and married/had sex with a 9 year old child and tell anyone with a brain this man was not a pedophile is the absolute heights of audacity. "pedo" is a prefix meaning child..."phile" is a suffix meaning "lover of" or "enthusiast of". So, anyway you slice it, Muhammad was a pedophile, period, end of discussion, here's some lovely parting gifts for you, don't let the door hit you where evolution split you, have a nice day.

You certainly can. Names that come to mind are Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton etc.

However, religion was a major hindrance to all of them in their scientific persuits.

Copernicus had his work kept secret. It was only published after his death because of the draconian ways of the church.

Lol? Uh....... no, hes fine. He can stay right where he is. Read the canadian charter of rights and freedoms sometime.

Besides, I think he had a very good point. Wouldnt that be a great test for Christianity if people willingly gravitated towards it of their own free will, rather then having it hammered home again and again at age 6?

To get around the semantics, just call him a "child molester". That way you don't have to debate the psychological state of someone who lived 1400 years ago.

Darth, does this mean that Muhammad is not a timeless example for all Muslims to follow, or can adult Muslim men have sex with 9 year old wives today in following with the tradition of their prophet?

Following up on this but in a different holy book...incest and rape are present in the Old Testament of the Bible...Lot and his daughters committed incest, and his daughters had his babies....I wonder how many so called Christians ever read that part of their sordid story...not to mention that before Lot was cast out he was visited by angels and the townspeople of Gomorrah tried to rape them...Lot offered up his own daughters to rape. What sort of example is that setting for the Christian community, if they all claim every part of the Bible is true?...if someone visits your home and some guy breaks in during the night and attempts to rape your guest, you're supposed to say...don't rape them, rape my daughter? :blink:

The president is a Christian only because he has to be because the US has an inordinate number of whack-job Christians that would never vote for a non-Christian, no matter what. I would bet any amount of money that Obama treats Christianity as a political tool, and doesn't believe a word of it's insane lies and oppressive dogmas. Obama is too smart to say he's actually an Athiest, because the average US citizen isn't mature or intelligent enough to deal with that.

Let's logically think about that.

How many opponents does Obama have? Lots.

Are they constantly finding faults in the current President? Yes. You betcha.

Don't you think it would be GREAT media fodder if they could expose Obama for not going to church before being in office and then suddenly proclaiming he is Christian?

You're grasping at invisible straws. Obama's religiosity or lack thereof has absolutely no bearing on us atheists, one way or another, he's a "Christian" because that's what's the accepted "norm" (boy do I ever use THAT term loosely) in the American society. Your argument is irrelevant, and also moot.

Archived