The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

First of all...we don't have any beliefs...that is the point of atheism....we are without a belief system. Secondly, we don't threaten people emptily with eternal damnation or violence just because people don't agree with us. There is a HUGE difference between us and those "right wing christian nutjobs" you compared us with. Get a clue.

"You" don't threaten people with damnation or violence, but some of "you" (and I stress that it's only some of the atheist population) comes off as a-holes.

I'm not saying that then all religious people are goody-two-shoes, but get a grip when you want to put yourself above theists. The fact is, you hold onto your ideals just as mush as theists do. Standing on a soapbox and telling someone to get a clue doesn't help.

We're human, and when one group attacks another group's belief system, that throws group A into a defensive system. Tell me how that helps.

It's entirely possible to be religious and an atheist, like with Buddhists and other non-theistic religions. I can't say I know any religious atheists, personally, but there are ~1 billion Buddhists in the world, which is a sizable number just in that religion alone.

I don't think it is possible, in my humble opinion...but i'm open to being wrong.

Though Buddhism doesn't necessarily believe in a Creator deity, they do proclaim dogmatic 'truths' based on or from the supernatural realm that isn't necessarily backed up by anything empirical.

Theism is guided by the dogma of its understandings of, or revelations to, a supernatural truth. 'Nirvana' in Buddhism seems to be the object of worship as an ultimate 'oneness' is with a deity in other religions.

Buddhism has its own theology. It is therefore inherently theistic. I don't believe an Atheist can also be a Theist,

Archived