The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

If believing in god is just superstition, surely reincarnation--the idea that I, or you, may 'come back' as a dog--must be lumped in with those who get the dreaded internet facepalm and the a punishing from the iron fist of elitism?

I've never understood how Sam Harris can have all of his weird "eastern" beliefs in regards to the afterlife and spirituality, which rely just as much on superstition as any christian doctrine, imo

i've met like 2 or 3 in my life, back when i was a kid and they came door to door. i told them i'm not interested, and they left. i haven't encountered one since.

now i cannot visit any website that includes social interaction to any degree without having some overweight dude who listens to metal tell the entire religious world how 'irrational' they are and how they rely on superstitions, etc.

what's even more bizarre is that many of these atheists don't even seem to recognize (or worse, care) how annoying and tyrannical they seem. i mean, their ire doesn't even seem to come from good intention, it seems to come straight out of hostility and the siren song of their own voice.

i've met like 2 or 3 in my life, back when i was a kid and they came door to door. i told them i'm not interested, and they left. i haven't encountered one since.

now i cannot visit any website that includes social interaction to any degree without having some overweight dude who listens to metal tell the entire religious world how 'irrational' they are and how they rely on superstitions, etc.

what's even more bizarre is that many of these atheists don't even seem to recognize (or worse, care) how annoying and tyrannical they seem. i mean, their ire doesn't even seem to come from good intention, it seems to come straight out of hostility and the siren song of their own voice.

The meaning of life is to gather as much information as you possibly can about yourself, the universe that surrounds you, the rich pageantry of the natural world, without having to ponder on the silliness of supernatural hokum and other unprovable phenomena. And for the last question, yes, in my opinion, human life is meaningless.

I would argue that there are things we presuppose without being scientifically able to prove them, such as our thoughts having a relation to reality. Secondly, it's your presupposition that evidence for the supernatural is less than ordinary. In one instance you're correct - a miracle is extraordinary because it is divine; on the other hand, a miracle is easy for God to perform, so it is ordinary.

Archived