The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Soccer Team Banned Over Lack Of Indo-Canadian Players

DonLever

A Surrey soccer association is defending its decision to ban a boy's team from playing because they don't have enough players who are Indo-Canadian.

Debbie Christiansen's 13 year old son was banned from a tournament becasue they had too many "imports". An import is any player who is not of South Asian origin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/13/bc-soccer-ethnicity.html

I play in the same league (at the Men's level). While I can see how one could see it as discriminatory, this one league was designed around getting indo-canadian youth active. There are many different soccer leagues in BC, but this particular one was made to be 'strictly' for indo-canadian youth. The 'import' rule was only implemented recently, and it was initially designed for teams who were hard-pressed to field a complete team of indo-canadian players (ex: teams from Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Victoria, etc.).

I don't think the league's intention is to be discriminatory, but it is simply designed to keep indo-canadian youth active. In this day and age, it is hard to run an organization like this because it can be deemed 'racist', although the intentions are pure.

I play in the same league (at the Men's level). While I can see how one could see it as discriminatory, this one league was designed around getting indo-canadian youth active. There are many different soccer leagues in BC, but this particular one was made to be 'strictly' for indo-canadian youth. The 'import' rule was only implemented recently, and it was initially designed for teams who were hard-pressed to field a complete team of indo-canadian players (ex: teams from Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Victoria, etc.).

I don't think the league's intention is to be discriminatory, but it is simply designed to keep indo-canadian youth active. In this day and age, it is hard to run an organization like this because it can be deemed 'racist', although the intentions are pure.

David Eby of the Civil Liberties on CTV just said is perfectly legal under human rights legislation to have ethnic only sports groups.

And an East Asian spokes person deflected critcism by saying all ethnic groups do it. Like Chinese only sports organizations.

But I suppose white only players would be considered racist.

What crazy world we live in with such double standards.

David Eby of the Civil Liberties on CTV just said is perfectly legal under human rights legislation to have ethnic only sports groups.

And an East Asian spokes person deflected critcism by saying all ethnic groups do it. Like Chinese only sports organizations.

But I suppose white only players would be considered racist.

What crazy world we live in with such double standards.

Not really..

These leagues are not discriminatory based on colour, they just require the majority of players to be of 'East Asian' and 'South Asian' descent (depending on the league).

There is also Scottish only league in BC (who also allow Irish and Welsh I believe), as well as a Portugese league. I don't find these leagues racist.

There are many players in the indo-canadian league who are of mixed race (my team has someone who is half spanish and half indian). His skin colour is considered 'white', but he is not considered an 'import'.

Archived